Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tires with Higher Efficiency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well since I no longer use the SR+ for longer trips, I use the Model Y for that, I decided to take a hit on range and go with these Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack just for the noise factor. Also the 80,000 mile life is sweet and the stats on Tire Rack are excellent. A bit on the pricey side but I prefer peace and quiet. The sound review on youtube is like night and day compare to the OEM tire they used. Will give these a try next year when my tires are almost dead.

Fred

I replaced the original tires after 21K miles with Michelin CrossClimate. They were on sale at Costco and after a few hundred miles the energy use is pretty much the same as the originals. But the stability and handling is (subjectively) a good deal better. Noise is not much if ant louder than the original, foam filled tires. And they have a 42K mile treadwear warranty, we'll see how long the tires last but I hope more than 21K miles. All in all in all a good tire for the M3.
imageService

MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE+ 235/45R18 98Y XL BSW ALL WEATHER TIRE

Item #1292978

$209.99

Quantity

Looking to get these tires as well in the next couple months.
Anyone know if there is a difference between the CrossClimate+ and the CrossClimate 2? I searched everywhere and can't find the answer.

I recently went with the Cross Climate + as well. After 80k miles on 2 sets of the OEM tires I had lifetime efficiency of 252 wh/mile. After 9k miles on the Cross Climates I’m at 246 wh/mile although keep in mind that’s all summer driving where my previous tires experienced all seasons. I do believe the road feel is better than the OEMs and road noise seems to be the same. Hoping to get more than 40k miles on this set, perhaps 50k or more (and they are cheaper than the OEMs).

Ended up with the Continental Purecontact LS. So far so good!

Also selected these when I upgraded to 19" wheels.
Only a "V" speed rating rather than the OEM 19's "W" rating, but I don't drive fast enough for a V speed rating let alone a W rating.
I'll take the increased treadlife (700AA) and a lighter wheel/tire weight (24.5 lbs/23.4 lbs) over the OEM 19" set-up.

Reactions: P-Lo801
I replaced the original tires after 21K miles with Michelin CrossClimate. They were on sale at Costco and after a few hundred miles the energy use is pretty much the same as the originals. But the stability and handling is (subjectively) a good deal better. Noise is not much if ant louder than the original, foam filled tires. And they have a 42K mile treadwear warranty, we'll see how long the tires last but I hope more than 21K miles. All in all in all a good tire for the M3.

I just 60 day returned CrossClimates after about 1500 mi. I had noise/vibration issues that I could not beat. Drove me nuts. Swapped them out for the PS A/S 4's. No vibration, and the noise is definitely better, though obviously that's with a whopping 20 miles on them so far. Fingers crossed. I hope the CC's work better for you than me, but if not, track that 60 day mark like a hawk.

Also selected these when I upgraded to 19" wheels.
Only a "V" speed rating rather than the OEM 19's "W" rating, but I don't drive fast enough for a V speed rating let alone a W rating.
I'll take the increased treadlife (700AA) and a lighter wheel/tire weight (24.5 lbs/23.4 lbs) over the OEM 19" set-up.

That's my tire of choice for my Model 3.

Yes, and I actually find these to be surprisingly just as quiet, if not quieter, than the OEM mxm4s, even going from 18's to 19s.

• Helpful
Reactions: XLR82XS

I just purchased a set of these and had to return them. I had the original Continentals on my 19" wheels and liked them. New set vibrated and were noisy from the start. Went back to Discount Tire and had them re-balance. Two of the tires would not balance due to being out of round? Rep said they had 80lbs of force when rotating.

Returned them and purchased a set of Michelin MXM4s in 245 /40 R19. I have about 150 miles on them. Feel great in comparison.

imageService

Item #1292978

$209.99

Quantity

Just replaced my stock tires (after 27k miles) with CrossClimate+ as well at America's Tire. Did a 1k+ mile roadtrip right away and it seems that energy use is about par and road noise isnt louder. The tread pattern is unique and cool IMO. Chose these over pilot sport 4S because it has a higher treadwear warranty (PS4S only has 30k) and I plan on driving up to Tahoe in the winter. I plan on claiming Michelin warranty every time I need to replace

Reactions: HyperionMark
How much do you guys pump the all weather CrossClimate? The same as A/S or OEM tires? I feel the CC is a bit soft so it has more friction and the car tends to stop more quickly which I don’t like.

When you say “how much do you guys pump” the tires, are you asking about the air pressure? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, I’ve just never heard it phrased that way. At any rate, I like to keep mine in the low to mid forties cold. So if I see them get down to 40 psi I’ll add a bit of air, not to exceed 45 psi. This may be perception as I haven’t done any real tests, but I do think the Cross Climates grip the road a bit better than the OEMs and as you said enabled shortened stopping distance. Just curious, why would you not like a tire that enables you to stop more quickly?

When you say “how much do you guys pump” the tires, are you asking about the air pressure? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, I’ve just never heard it phrased that way. At any rate, I like to keep mine in the low to mid forties cold. So if I see them get down to 40 psi I’ll add a bit of air, not to exceed 45 psi. This may be perception as I haven’t done any real tests, but I do think the Cross Climates grip the road a bit better than the OEMs and as you said enabled shortened stopping distance. Just curious, why would you not like a tire that enables you to stop more quickly?
For most on-road use, the vehicle placard number is the number you should never go below. Not only do you get better energy efficiency, but there is more protection against pothole damage, and there is more protection against hydroplaning as well.

imageService

Item #1292978

$209.99

Quantity

imageService

Item #1292978

$209.99

Quantity

I just past 3K miles with the Croosclimate tires.

The lifetime efficiency: 24.6K miles = 252
CrossClimate efficiency 3.1K milse= 271

That is about 7.5% loss in efficiency. Both sets were maintained at ~41psi.

But I am still happy with the tires. We recently had a fairly good rain here in the SF bay area and the wet road handling was a good deal better than the OE tires.