Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the new adapters are even more complicated than I had thought. On a hunch, I cut the adapter cord and took a look inside. There are three beefy current conductors, and FOUR signal wires. Huh. So my guess is that the molded NEMA plug itself has a temperature sensor and who knows what else. Since there are only two signal wires leaving the adapter towards the MC, my suspicion above is probably correct in that there is probably some electronics that encodes a bunch of information for the MC onto those two signal wires.

I wonder if these new adapters are going to make it difficult or even impossible to easily create other adapters like for a TT-30. We'll have to wait and see whenever someone gets their hands on a new Mobile Connector...

Can you share some pics? Thanks

I wonder if these new adapters are going to make it difficult or even impossible to easily create other adapters like for a TT-30. We'll have to wait and see whenever someone gets their hands on a new Mobile Connector...
You thinking that TT-30 won't work because it'll be able to communicate "I'm supposed to be a 240V connection; if you're seeing less than say 200V that's too much of a voltage sag, so you probably better shut down to prevent a fire"?

You thinking that TT-30 won't work because it'll be able to communicate "I'm supposed to be a 240V connection; if you're seeing less than say 200V that's too much of a voltage sag, so you probably better shut down to prevent a fire"?

Yes, something like that. I just don't know how much they locked down these new adapters. The TT-30 is unusual in that it is rated at 30A but only at 120 V. For example, cars built in 2013 and 2012 have a limitation with 120v supplies. They won't charge at anything faster than 20A when given 120V. Here, it could be worse, since the highest adapter Tesla supports at 120V draws 16A instead of the 24A that a TT-30 could supply. Ah well, no use worrying about what might happen, we'll just have to try it out.

So the new adapter is much more robust that the old ones found on existing UMCs. The high current pins are significantly larger than the old ones, which would reduce resistance heating. There are two dummy pins for tighter alignment. The ground pin is about the same size. And there is an extra signal pin (the old adapter had just one signal pin, this one has two). It appears the new adapters use a difference mechanism to tell the Mobile Connector what kind of plug it is connected to. The old UMC used a single signal pin with a specific resistor value connected to ground to identify charging amps. The new adapter does not use resistance to ground (infinite resistance to ground on either signal pin). And there isn't a consistent resistance measurement between the pins if I use a modern electronic ohm meter versus an old school analog meter. I suspect the two pins are connected to a chip of some sort for more complex information exchange (like maybe temperature).

Perhaps the two dummy pins will be used in the new European UMC to provide three phases.

Just a minor correction, All the NEMA 6/10/14 plugs can either be 240V from a single phase connection or 208V from a three-phase connection. However if the new UMC and its adapters are indeed "smart" they can distinguish between those two cases.

Reactions: ccutrer
Yes. Currently the adapters for the European UMC are using a different connectors than the American one.
Technically, it's not new. The European UMC has been different from the NA one since it was introduced - mostly because it supports 3-phase. In addition, there is a special UMC for Norway and other grid networks that are not grounded neutral WYE 400V L-L / 230V L-N.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
And that tool is a Fain (or Toolmaster) not a Dremel.
Well, Cosmacelf, if you're going to get all pedantic on us, you should have the facts:

Fein (not Fain) and Dremel are tool manufacturers, not specific tools. Using either of those names to refer to a specific tool is a bit sloppy and not very descriptive. The guy in the video clearly fell into this trap... but so did you.

The tool used in the video is generically called an "oscillating tool." Fein makes a few versions of this type of tool. One of them is called the "MultiMaster" (not "Toolmaster"). Dremel also makes this type of tool.

The specific tool used in the video is clearly labeled "DREMEL" along its side. I think it's safe to call it a Dremel, although, again, it's not terribly descriptive. In addition, most people use that word to [sloppily] refer to high speed roto-tools made by any manufacturer, rather than oscillating tools.

[/pedant mode]

Well, Cosmacelf, if you're going to get all pedantic on us, you should have the facts:

Fein (not Fain) and Dremel are tool manufacturers, not specific tools. Using either of those names to refer to a specific tool is a bit sloppy and not very descriptive. The guy in the video clearly fell into this trap... but so did you.

The tool used in the video is generically called an "oscillating tool." Fein makes a few versions of this type of tool. One of them is called the "MultiMaster" (not "Toolmaster"). Dremel also makes this type of tool.

The specific tool used in the video is clearly labeled "DREMEL" along its side. I think it's safe to call it a Dremel, although, again, it's not terribly descriptive. In addition, most people use that word to [sloppily] refer to high speed roto-tools made by any manufacturer, rather than oscillating tools.

[/pedant mode]

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/500x/32645991/snap-city-lets-go.jpg

Cool. Temperature sensor confirmed! Btw, the 10-30 and 14-30 are dryer circuits not washing machine! And that tool is a Fain (or Toolmaster) not a Dremel.

So for a TT-30, one will need to build a 14-30R-TT-30P adapter cable.

I am thinking that when my Model 3 arrives, and if/when I drive out in the boonies, I should carry my JESLA instead of buying adapters for the new UMC. Will get a full 40 amps on a 14-50 too.

So for a TT-30, one will need to build a 14-30R-TT-30P adapter cable.

I am thinking that when my Model 3 arrives, and if/when I drive out in the boonies, I should carry my JESLA instead of buying adapters for the new UMC. Will get a full 40 amps on a 14-50 too.
I have one leftover too and that's what I'm doing. With a full line of adapters- and 14-30 with the neutral sawed off (thanks @Cosmacelf ^_^)
You mean to use a TT-30 receptacle out there? Maybe @Cosmacelf and others can opine, because I've never tried this myself, but I thought using a 240v stub on the UMC wouldn't work if the source is 120v
(and...really? TT-30 is 120v @30A (24A sustained) =2.8 kW..you may get 5.5ish? miles per hour charge instead of the 4ish with the regular NEMA 5-20.. maybe just need to get this). Do you think you'll really need it -eg staying ooout there in a camping overnight- or are you a 'have all the bases covered' sort of person? Not judging just curious about the use case.

I have one leftover too and that's what I'm doing. With a full line of adapters- and 14-30 with the neutral sawed off (thanks @Cosmacelf ^_^)
You mean to use a TT-30 receptacle out there? Maybe @Cosmacelf and others can opine, because I've never tried this myself, but I thought using a 240v stub on the UMC wouldn't work if the source is 120v
(and...really? TT-30 is 120v @30A (24A sustained) =2.8 kW..you may get 5.5ish? miles per hour charge instead of the 4ish with the regular NEMA 5-20.. maybe just need to get this). Do you think you'll really need it -eg staying ooout there in a camping overnight- or are you a 'have all the bases covered' sort of person? Not judging just curious about the use case.

Yes, you can indeed give a 240v Tesla adapter 120v and it’ll work fine. The UMC is picky which of the two hots gets the 120v and which gets neutral though.

A TT-30 is indeed a rare beast, but there are use cases. Some commercial buildings or event complexes will have TT-30 in their parking lots. Some campgrounds only have TT-30s.

• Informative
Reactions: EchoDelta