Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Update 2017.28 c528869

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only a short drive. Feels much better than 17.26.76 so far. I found previous iteration to be really squirrelly in straight-always. Update makes it feels smooth and natural.

Lane change is much better. Previously it was a two step change... quick into the mid portion of the lane, then a second movement to position the car fully in the lane (which could be excruciatingly slow, and sometimes bugged out and failed to finish). Now just a smooth transition and much faster than 17.17.4 (which used to leave me looking like a doofus that forgot to turn off my turn signal).

Optimistic!

Highway driving only.

Once. There was a dead animal on the left side of the lane I assumed was the cause. But it certainly shouldn't have been large enough to require braking

How big was the dead animal? This the first I've heard/seen that the car recognized small objects... unless it was a dead cow/moose...

IIRC the demo video with the recognition markers on the people/items did not mark a small white dog being walked by a person on the side of the road.

Only a short drive. Feels much better than 17.26.76 so far. I found previous iteration to be really squirrelly in straight-always. Update makes it feels smooth and natural.

Lane change is much better. Previously it was a two step change... quick into the mid portion of the lane, then a second movement to position the car fully in the lane (which could be excruciatingly slow, and sometimes bugged out and failed to finish). Now just a smooth transition and much faster than 17.17.4 (which used to leave me looking like a doofus that forgot to turn off my turn signal).

Optimistic!

Highway driving only.
Never has the car shut the turn signal off after lane change, so doofus can happen in all software releases. I'd like to see it shut off 10s after lane change, but it's mechanical, so at least a chime alerting the driver (>10s) would be welcome.

Never has the car shut the turn signal off after lane change, so doofus can happen in all software releases. I'd like to see it shut off 10s after lane change, but it's mechanical, so at least a chime alerting the driver (>10s) would be welcome.

What I was referring to was how I would turn on the blinker, and for whatever reason, the car wouldn't change lane (no car in the lane I want to move to, I always check...force of habit). So I would keep driving in the original lane waiting for my car to move over. Finally I would just give up and change lanes manually. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

What I was referring to was how I would turn on the blinker, and for whatever reason, the car wouldn't change lane (no car in the lane I want to move to, I always check...force of habit). So I would keep driving in the original lane waiting for my car to move over. Finally I would just give up and change lanes manually. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
Oh I see. That has happened to me also, but not on this current version yet. If you aren't on freeway, don't expect AP lane changing.

old |v8.1(17.26.76)| AP2 |
new |v8.1(17.28 c528869)| AP2 |

How big was the dead animal? This the first I've heard/seen that the car recognized small objects... unless it was a dead cow/moose...

IIRC the demo video with the recognition markers on the people/items did not mark a small white dog being walked by a person on the side of the road.
Probably raccoon size. A bit flattened. The ghost braking seamed like an over reaction, not sure it was related. It's really the first time I've experienced the braking thing. New software installed this morning.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Probably raccoon size. A bit flattened. The ghost braking seamed like an over reaction, not sure it was related. It's really the first time I've experienced the braking thing. New software installed this morning.

Thanks!

If it was the roadkill, that implies their algorithm/neural network is getting more refined and seeing smaller objects. The original video (with painted black music) always identified people sized objects, but I did notice it wouldn't put identifier marks (squares and rectangles) on smaller sized objects and animals.

I wonder if you were to pass it again, would it do the same thing?

Fascinating!

It doesn't hug the left anymore!!
In stop and go traffic, my experience so far has been that it is an equal opportunity side hugger. These were like a minute apart. After the first one -- because I didn't really want to hit the truck to the right -- I disengaged AP and centered the car and re-engaged. That's when AP decided maybe I wanted to hug the other side of the lane, and drove me to the left edge..

FullSizeRender 7.jpg
IMG_7852.JPG

Reactions: Aeg07046
Just got 2017-28-c528869, overall a big leap forward to me for local roads so far, haven't been able to test on highways, but the lurching at intersections has stopped 90% of the time and the stop / go is immensely improved. Looking forward to testing it out on the highway later today, but very encouraging based on the local driving i've done with it so far today.

I had a longer drive today to the airport and can say I saw some of the same behavior as some of the posts above:

1) In stop and go traffic, it does sometimes hug either side of the lane. It's not consistent but it happens. It rarely happens at speed - maybe seeing "further" ahead helps it center? Don't know.

2) Lane change remains perfect for me. Great.

3) I had two or three phantom braking incidents today (on one a car was close to my lane so maybe I'll give AP credit for adjusting TACC distance). No rhyme or reason except they seemed to occur under large signs and NOT overpasses. I thought this bug was banished but it seems to be back.

4) I do think turning and driving at speed is very smooth as is braking to a stop. I never had AP1 so this only compared to prior AP2 driving.

Drove about 50 freeway miles this morning. Slow speed Line hugging definitely returned for me in this update. On two occasions I had to take over as it was actually on the line itself.

At cruise speeds I've also had it move sharply to the left or right even though it had two good lines (I was watching the display).

Lane change was the best I've had so far.

Downloaded it last night. Good update, I feel much more confident using this update. Hat two issues, however;
1. It his the brake once fore no apparent reasonable, incuding chime for allerting impact is imminent. There was nothing going on..
2. I was lane changing and I had to override because at the same time another car was changing into the same lane too. I don't really blame autopilot for this.