Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Update 2017.28 c528869

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not super happy with this one. Lane hugging to one side or the other...just didn't feel very confidence inspiring on the 405 this morning. Wanted to pull to one side all of a sudden! Hopefully they'll clean it up soon.

This is odd, I've used mine for a couple hundred miles now. It tracks dead center 99% of the time. The only times it has pulled is when it has been directly next to a tractor trailer - which unfortunately pulled me TOWARDS it.

I have a newer one, I wonder if this has anything to do with some of the 2016 AP2 hardware needing adjustments.

The car accelerates smoother and uses more modulation on the accelerator pedal, especially when slowing and coming to a stop.

This is odd, I've used mine for a couple hundred miles now. It tracks dead center 99% of the time. The only times it has pulled is when it has been directly next to a tractor trailer - which unfortunately pulled me TOWARDS it.

I have a newer one, I wonder if this has anything to do with some of the 2016 AP2 hardware needing adjustments.

The car accelerates smoother and uses more modulation on the accelerator pedal, especially when slowing and coming to a stop.

This is a commonly known problem from AP1 which we call "Truck Lust" and its when the sensors in the car sense the back wheels of the truck so it moves away, but when it gets to the section of the trailer between the front and rear wheels and there is nothing there it tries to center you and even bias you towards the side of the truck because the sensors dont see an object there as the trailer is higher than the sensors. Some trucks actually put flaps in this area to prevent cars from going underneath the trailer in the event of an accident, and for those trucks the car performs fine.

All this tells me is that they literally replicated/copied the code from AP1/MobileEye for AP2 thus far and will hopefully iterate on it with complete new Tesla code for actual EAP and FSD.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Doctt
Tesla got back to me a few days ago. Lane change is not available away from the highway. I was on a 6 lane county highway and lane change did not work. Tech said 4 lane wouldn't work. Well 6 lane doesn't work either. I can only assume that maps play a role in deciding if lane change will work. At least it is not a malfunction.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I always love playing firmware update roulette! Updated this morning and AP is now hugging and following the white left lane markings. It's following it so close the left tires rollover the raised pavement markers, creating a wonderful bumping motion and sound. Anyone experience this as well? Should have stayed on the previous release.

I don't understand why some users reported this is "the greatest" update and closest to "silky smooth" yet some are reporting they'd rather roll back to previous release. Maybe there's HW2 and HW2.25 already?

@outie not sure it's necessarily mutually exclusive.

Now that I've got more miles on it...

Obviously lane changing is much smoother, night and day difference. I do notice instances on certain portions of the highway where it does indeed feel smoother and centered.

That said, I'm having a lot more ghost braking incidents, nearly unusable lane hugging in heavy traffic and much poorer centering on sharper high speed turns (i.e. D.C. Beltway).

So a step forward in some areas, step backwards in others.

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades
I don't understand why some users reported this is "the greatest" update and closest to "silky smooth" yet some are reporting they'd rather roll back to previous release. Maybe there's HW2 and HW2.25 already?

While some hardware differences are possible (we know of front camera alignment issues/differences as well as side-marker camera revisions, though those should not yet be in use), people drive on very different roads, with different markings, different times of day etc.

It seems quite possible AP2 is just that uneven in its performance.

Reactions: alcibiades
While some hardware differences are possible (we know of front camera alignment issues/differences as well as side-marker camera revisions, though those should not yet be in use), people drive on very different roads, with different markings, different times of day etc.

It seems quite possible AP2 is just that uneven in its performance.
I believe human subjectivity is more likely the cause.

i've just noticed that easy entry (the feature that gives 'one touch' operation of the 2nd row seats) no longer works. I am assuming this is a bug in the new software update. Possibly only affecting 7 seat cars as I've not seen this reported anywhere else. And yes, it IS enabled in settings.

Doesn't happen all the time but for some reason sometimes in stop and go traffic the steering keeps going right when accelerating after being stopped. End up having to disable auto steer so I don't run over a motorcyclist.

Attachments

• IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 57
i've just noticed that easy entry (the feature that gives 'one touch' operation of the 2nd row seats) no longer works. I am assuming this is a bug in the new software update. Possibly only affecting 7 seat cars as I've not seen this reported anywhere else. And yes, it IS enabled in settings.

Thanks for the info. A bug of that sort could be related to the new manual 7 seater coming along...

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasTeslaRacing
Doesn't happen all the time but for some reason sometimes in stop and go traffic the steering keeps going right when accelerating after being stopped. End up having to disable auto steer so I don't run over a motorcyclist.
I had the same issue

But I got the latest version 2017.32.9xxxx last weekend. The hugging problem is now gone. The lane keeping is working much better now.