Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Update Coming Next Month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly thought there would be a few more updates for AP1, on/off ramp, a better summon, and maybe red light/stop sign detection. Sigh.

FWIW, I still expect AP1 to get at least the promised 8.1 features relating to ramp-to-ramp or whatever it was. But perhaps after that it is pretty much just maintenance updates? (Tesla has no incentive in upgrading old systems that are not in new cars, similar to how Classic non-AP cars quickly fell behind in everything but stuff that applied to new cars as well.)

2v2cos0.png

Looks like elon will fail to fulfill another promise. EAP being no where to be found.
But atleast AP1 full parity in performance is coming after only 9 months.

So noticeable FSD features in late June?

Great!

Ugh! I'm driving the best and safest car on the planet. So what if updates don't come as quickly as suggested or hoped (never "promised").

Well, actually, some things actually were promised for December 2016. As in, said on Tesla.com they will come in December 2016.

These were: Automatic emergency braking, front collission warning, side collision warning, auto high-beams and rain sensing.

One of them is yet to come even today, and most came many months late.

And beyond that, lots more were of course implied and told to be expected within timelines that later were clearly impossible...

Serious questions, not trolling:

Was there ever an explicit promise that AP1 would be able to do FSD? If not, what SAE level did Tesla promise AP1 would provide?
When did self driving become an option on the configuration tool on their website? Was it only after October, 2016?

The reason I'm asking is that my vague sense of the narrative regarding Teslas before I became an owner (and before I was cruising forums like this one) was that well before October 2016 the cars were going to be able to ultimately do FSD. I asked some non-Tesla obsessed friends who had the same perception. That seems to run counter to what I'm seeing on the Mobileye website where they are saying that they are at Level 2 currently and going even to just Level 3 will be difficult. They go on to say that they will hit Level 5 in 2019 or 2021 depending on how you interpret the following statement:

"Our automaker partners currently use Mobileye technology to support Level 1 and Level 2 ADAS systems. Over the last two years, development work on higher-level vehicles has accelerated. Mobileye is working with our partners BMW and Intel Corp. to put a fully autonomous vehicle into serial production beginning in 2021. Mobileye also recently partnered with Delphi Automotive to create an autonomous platform for use by many automobile manufacturers by 2019."

source: Enabling Autonomous - Mobileye

The tidy "soundbite" way they describe the SAE levels 3-5 on the site - Level 3 autonomous is “eyes off,” Level 4 is “mind off” and Level 5 is “driver off.” - definitely leaves my AP2 vehicle as Level 2 because there's no way in heck I'd ever take my eyes off of what the car is up to at any point except for a quick second when I'm dealing with plowing through a couple of menus to do something like trying to turn my steering wheel heater on.

Craig

Was there ever an explicit promise that AP1 would be able to do FSD? If not, what SAE level did Tesla promise AP1 would provide?
When did self driving become an option on the configuration tool on their website? Was it only after October, 2016?
I don't think they promised anything specifically wrt SAE/NHTSA levels like they did with AP2, but it was implied it would be L3 (hand off, on-ramp to off-ramp on the highway).

Well, actually, some things actually were promised for December 2016. As in, said on Tesla.com they will come in December 2016.

These were: Automatic emergency braking, front collission warning, side collision warning, auto high-beams and rain sensing.

One of them is yet to come even today, and most came many months late.

And beyond that, lots more were of course implied and told to be expected within timelines that later were clearly impossible...

AR,
I feel your pain. My 5th grade girlfriend promised she would love me forever. Wouldn't you know it, something happened and she changed her mind!

Been eating me up for 40+ years now, and I just can't let it go. My therapist of 30 years has been telling me that sometimes the World doesn't work the way we want, and it's simply a matter of accepting certain things as they are.

I obviously need to find a new therapist...

RT

P.S. Dad always said I had a "thick skull" :)

AR,
I feel your pain. My 5th grade girlfriend promised she would love me forever. Wouldn't you know it, something happened and she changed her mind!

Been eating me up for 40+ years now, and I just can't let it go. My therapist of 30 years has been telling me that sometimes the World doesn't work the way we want, and it's simply a matter of accepting certain things as they are.

I obviously need to find a new therapist...

RT

P.S. Dad always said I had a "thick skull" :)

Didn't your Dad tell you not to get a girlfriend that costs $100k+ in return for making that promise... ;)

I guess some might saying buying a Tesla is like getting married.

Don't forget, AP2 still can't read speed limit signs (and no hint it will soon).

But yeah, expect FSD features in a few weeks and drive across the country hands off in 6.

I'm amazed he called the current AP "safe" given my experience of it going into the oncoming lane on local roads about every 5 miles of use.

Local road AS is still terrifying to say the least. It wants these 1-lane highways where there is hardly anyone and no lane changes,yields, markers going away for turns etc. Its also too "zealous" to catch up with traffic in front to get back upto speed limit, I wish you could set a catch up level, slow/med/fast
nah.... its "smooth as silk". ...... oh wait.....

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing and croman
Local road AS is still terrifying to say the least. It wants these 1-lane highways where there is hardly anyone and no lane changes,yields, markers going away for turns etc. Its also too "zealous" to catch up with traffic in front to get back upto speed limit, I wish you could set a catch up level, slow/med/fast

According to Elon's tweet AP2 is "UNPLEASANT" not "terrifying" :) :) :) :0

According to Elon's tweet AP2 is "UNPLEASANT" not "terrifying" :) :) :) :0

Its unpleasant to be terrified! Its great to hear Elon acknowledge AP2 shortcomings, even if he minimizes it, but AP2 owners from 2016 deserve something more than a paltry class action settlement. Tesla needs to proactively acknowledge they have endangered the lives of owners due to a corporate spat with a supplier and that they overpromised and vastly underdelivered. Anyone buying from Jan 2017 on knew what we couldn't have known and therefore I am less sympathetic. Further anyone buying now is actually getting what we were promised way back then and Tesla's current rate of improvement of the software is brisk. The future looks bright but the past was a nightmare.

Serious questions, not trolling:

The reason I'm asking is that my vague sense of the narrative regarding Teslas before I became an owner (and before I was cruising forums like this one) was that well before October 2016 the cars were going to be able to ultimately do FSD. I asked some non-Tesla obsessed friends who had the same perception. That seems to run counter to what I'm seeing on the Mobileye website where they are saying that they are at Level 2 currently and going even to just Level 3 will be difficult. They go on to say that they will hit Level 5 in 2019 or 2021 depending on how you interpret the following statement:

"Our automaker partners currently use Mobileye technology to support Level 1 and Level 2 ADAS systems. Over the last two years, development work on higher-level vehicles has accelerated. Mobileye is working with our partners BMW and Intel Corp. to put a fully autonomous vehicle into serial production beginning in 2021. Mobileye also recently partnered with Delphi Automotive to create an autonomous platform for use by many automobile manufacturers by 2019."

source: Enabling Autonomous - Mobileye

The tidy "soundbite" way they describe the SAE levels 3-5 on the site - Level 3 autonomous is “eyes off,” Level 4 is “mind off” and Level 5 is “driver off.” - definitely leaves my AP2 vehicle as Level 2 because there's no way in heck I'd ever take my eyes off of what the car is up to at any point except for a quick second when I'm dealing with plowing through a couple of menus to do something like trying to turn my steering wheel heater on.

Craig

In the original reveal in October 2014, and a few times after that, it was mentioned that if you went to a restaurant, the car would drop you off in front of the restaurant and park itself. Then you could summon it with the phone app to come pick you up at the front door. It was always stated "private property only".
Other than that, when I had an AP1 car it mget all other promises as far as I remember them. My AP2 car is getting very close, but it still feels like the AP1 car did in the first few months after implementation.