Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New update removed my report mistake button 🙈

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new update is incredible so far in the valley in Los Angeles for me.

something a little funny though is that they removed my ability to report a mistake by tapping the camera button.

I always tried pushing it honestly although I do admit when FSD did something very dangerous that would definitely have resulted in an accident I pushed it repeatedly. So maybe they was not the move although I thought it could be smart to do so.

something a little funny though is that they removed my ability to report a mistake by tapping the camera button.

I always tried pushing it honestly although I do admit when FSD did something very dangerous that would definitely have resulted in an accident I pushed it repeatedly. So maybe they was not the move although I thought it could be smart to do so.
Gone for all us regular folks.

I believe it still notifies them of "something" when you disengage... override the steering, acceleration or brake petal. It is still useful for them for you to use the beta and disengage when it does something odd. My guess is that with so many more people using it they had to scale back the level of reports they were getting. I think employees and the some of the original beta testers may still have the button.

Just speculation of course.

It sounds a lot harder to me to find the useful intelligence, especially on safety-related issues, based upon disengagement data.

Let's say there are 10k disengagements a day from across the US. And that 99.9% are not safety issues but rather wrong lane, turn signal on unnecessarily, or even arriving at your destination. It sounds like a daunting exercise in programming logic disseminate the small amount of useful information based upon a ton of data. Like a needle in the haystack scenario.

On the other hand, by using the button you have not lost any from the disengagement scenario above but perhaps only 1k button presses in a day - the amount of data to use decreases dramatically. Perhaps you still have a similar filtering operation to weed out the minutia but you start with a better data set. 🤷

My comments are based comments by people who were in the early rounds of FSD Beta testers (just beyond Tesla employees). I can't be sure who it was but maybe Kim Paquette, Dirty Tesla or maybe the famous unprotected left "Chuck". They had discussion forums amongst themselves and with Tesla FSD Beta liaison employees. Tesla may be doing something completely different these days but in one or more of the in video comments of test drives they talked about disengagements being useful feedback even if you don't or forget to press the button.

IMO it is very hard to guess at how Tesla is using the data and it is probably in many ways we can't even guess at.

I believe it still notifies them of "something" when you disengage... override the steering, acceleration or brake petal.
I hope so. The other day the stupid thing started moving after stopping at a red (left-turn-only) light, with the light still red. I hit the brake before the car moved more than a foot or two, but with the update, the reporting button was missing, so I was unable to explicitly send feedback to Tesla about this error.

My comments are based comments by people who were in the early rounds of FSD Beta testers (just beyond Tesla employees). I can't be sure who it was but maybe Kim Paquette, Dirty Tesla or maybe the famous unprotected left "Chuck". They had discussion forums amongst themselves and with Tesla FSD Beta liaison employees. Tesla may be doing something completely different these days but in one or more of the in video comments of test drives they talked about disengagements being useful feedback even if you don't or forget to press the button.

IMO it is very hard to guess at how Tesla is using the data and it is probably in many ways we can't even guess at.

I posted in the 10.69 thread just now that I had a bunch of interventions and disengagements on my drive yesterday, and then I monitored my router this morning for network traffic from the car to Tesla. radio silence. I don't think Tesla is actively collecting intervention data anymore, at least from the safety-score FSDb cohorts.

When I got FSDb last year, there was still some evidence that the car was sometimes sending massive amounts of data even if I didn't press the snapshot button. Haven't seen that in more recent times.

Years ago, it was well known that Tesla had triggers that would cause the car to upload data if you happened to encounter a situation that they wanted more info on. It's unclear whether these trigger campaigns are still happening either.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Speculation on my part...

They are currently working on the "occupancy networks" and don't need feedback from us at the moment. IMO, we'll see "The Button" return once they need fresh information to feed whatever the latest and greatest is that "needs input," bonus points if you get the movie reference.

Reactions: Dewg
New here in the AP section (had looked for it in the past but been blind I guess), so sorry if this is somehow stupid, but:

Can't you just hit voice command, say "Bug report" and describe what FSD beta just did?
You can, but the report does not go anywhere. Others claim that the data stays on the car.

Just use FSDb and disengage with the brake or steering wheel when it does the wrong thing. The car may send back a report if Tesla deems it necessary.

As an example, earlier this week, I drove through parts of East Texas where few Teslas dare to venture. My car sent back about 12 GB of data afterward. So, maybe there's some geofencing on when a car collects and sends data.

Reactions: lzolman
That does nothing except places a notation in your local file system on your car. Doesn’t notify Tesla of anything
So is this portion of the Tesla manual lying?
"You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Report", "Feedback", or "Bug report" followed by brief comments. Model 3 takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model 3"

So is this portion of the Tesla manual lying?
....Tesla periodically [from time to time] reviews these notes...."
No, because periodically they get them from the Service Center because of a bug or problem that required servicing and they are reviewed by Tesla. It says nothing about them being sent directly to Tesla, which they aren't. I believe Greentheonly confirmed this a couple of years ago.

With so many people using the software now, they're probably just doing a bunch of filtered queries for training the neural networks. For example they can request (however that may work) a gazillion videos of people disengaging, by yanking the steering wheel, at night while turning left at a yellow traffic light in the rain. Then they have someway of sorting. Basically some kind of data scientist type expert has figured this out already. It was never scalable to have thousands of people clicking that icon and having someone try to figure out what was going on afterwards.

It's a "pull" rather than a "push" as they were doing a couple years ago with a limited beta group.

Can't you just hit voice command, say "Bug report" and describe what FSD beta just did?
Even if it got data into the right hands, this wouldn't be very useful, because (in my experience), it tends to cut out too soon. That is, I've been able to leave bug reports of one short sentence, but any more than that, and it stops recording my voice message. This makes it 100% useless for reporting complex problems, which would be the case for a lot of FSD failures. Furthermore, AFAIK, this doesn't attach any video clips of what the car was doing at the time of the incident. (I don't know if it even attaches GPS coordinates.) Thus, even if you can report something easy ("the car almost hit a pedestrian!"), it likely wouldn't be very useful to anybody.

Reactions: lzolman

Very disappointing that Tesla removed the report button; I have no way to contribute to a better FSD.