Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Wheels for MS -- 21" Sonic Carbon Twin Turbine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting closer to my estimated delivery date and will have the option of taking the new twin turbines or getting a set of original turbines. My car will be a solid black S75D and I have not seen any pictures yet of a production black Model S with the new twin turbines. I also thought about taking the twin turbines and selling them as take-offs on ebay if I end up not liking them after delivery. There is a set of twin turbines on ebay that have been there for a while - just had a $500 price drop to $3,295. Does not seem to be much demand on ebay. Any pictures of a black Model S with twin turbines or advice on which wheels to take?

I am getting closer to my estimated delivery date and will have the option of taking the new twin turbines or getting a set of original turbines. My car will be a solid black S75D and I have not seen any pictures yet of a production black Model S with the new twin turbines. I also thought about taking the twin turbines and selling them as take-offs on ebay if I end up not liking them after delivery. There is a set of twin turbines on ebay that have been there for a while - just had a $500 price drop to $3,295. Does not seem to be much demand on ebay. Any pictures of a black Model S with twin turbines or advice on which wheels to take?
I’ve seen both in person and I recommend to buy them with the hopeful assumption they are lighter, stronger, and more efficient

I got to see the twin turbines in person on Friday at my local SC. I wish they had found a more elegant solution for the lug nut covers, they are definitely not the most beautiful thing ever. The overall design is nice but the covers really distract from it IMHO.

Attachments

• 20180315_150843.jpg
    20180315_150843.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 225
Yes, I am on the fence since I ordered a black vehicle, I'm a little concerned they will be too dark. I know they come in silver too, but you cant buy them built with silver, so I may have to pay that $500 change fee and just get the stock wheels, save them for winter and purchase the $6,000 silver set from the Tesla Store.. Maybe they will look ok, but I have no Idea! From the design studio the pics are very wrong, they show a gunmetal grey, not dark painted grey. See this pic..

Attachments

• tesla-model-s-new-wheel-2.JPG
    tesla-model-s-new-wheel-2.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 168
2CEC9C99-3AB4-4EFC-B0F2-FEE213B53475.jpeg

F3EB242D-A3C0-4E87-AF5D-E4D37FBBF7DE.jpeg
View attachment 290666
Yes, I am on the fence since I ordered a black vehicle, I'm a little concerned they will be too dark. I know they come in silver too, but you cant buy them built with silver, so I may have to pay that $500 change fee and just get the stock wheels, save them for winter and purchase the $6,000 silver set from the Tesla Store.. Maybe they will look ok, but I have no Idea! From the design studio the pics are very wrong, they show a gunmetal grey, not dark painted grey. See this pic..

Here is what the twin turbines look like on a black Model S. I saw this car a few days before taking delivery on my black Model S and it helped me decide to opt for the original turbines. I think these look good, but the originals are hard to beat, in my opinion.

View attachment 290668
View attachment 290669 View attachment 290666

Here is what the twin turbines look like on a black Model S. I saw this car a few days before taking delivery on my black Model S and it helped me decide to opt for the original turbines. I think these look good, but the originals are hard to beat, in my opinion.

I didn't have that option but I would have preferred the originals as well. But I'll probably switch them out at some point anyway.