Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie - questions about the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning,

I just ordered a Model Y LR via salary sacrifice scheme that is available at my company.
They expect a January delivery.
I went with the standard tyre size as I do believe those better for ride comfort.
Am I right in thinking, that the vehicle will be model year 24?
Do you know what kind of tyres it will come with?
I understand the long range is not LFP but NMC but which type is it?
Will the back windows be double glazed or is it just the front?
I know these are obvious things for you peeps but I am just starting off with Tesla, coming from a classic iOniq.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: WannabeOwner
My LR came with Hankook tyres and they’ve been fine

It won’t be an LFP battery, it’s a BT43, snipped from the internet:
  • BT43 which is the LG Chem M50 79kWh battery with 2170 NMC cells, coded 5L
Tesla make changes all the time although they do tend to group some of the bigger changes at the end of the year but none have been announced. There is talk about a few mild tweaks in China but I’m not away anyone has seen them here.

The windows aren’t double glazed, they’re laminated (might be a bit semantic but I’ve not really noticed any difference between Teslas with and without, I think it’s more a benefit to safety and maybe insulation) and so far only in the front on the MY.

You should still get wiper stalks but not parking sensors.

Yep mine is also on Hankook's - to be honest i'm not a massive fan. I was assured by Octopus (salary sacrifice scheme) it would come on all seasons. It also has none working adaptive cruise and non working auto wipers, but thats apparently part of the fun of tesla ownership

Reactions: Gubro
I just ordered a Model Y LR via salary sacrifice scheme that is available at my company.

Congratulations! I hope you love the car as many before you have done :)

I do understand that, but there is no need for these kind of answers.

As the MOD said, its accurate, although I'm sure came across as facetious.

I remember when we went for the scan of our first child the operator told us it was a girl. I said jokingly that I would paint the nursery Pink and she gave me a stern talk about the likelihood of her being wrong!

I don't think you can know, for sure, what any of those options might be until you have the car. Even if Tesla have been shipping 100% of them with a particular tyre for the last X years that is no proof that they will for tomorrow's car. So IF anything is important to you then your only option will be to reject the car when you find that it does not have that option, or buy one matching your requirements from inventory (which may not be possible? via a salary sacrifice purchase)

That's not really a thing with Tesla. They make changes as-and-when, throughout the year and, for software changes, continuously and (generally speaking) retrospectively - for example, the DashCam is not great - it uses a lot of battery power if you lave it on 24/7 - but it never existed on the car and at some point someone discovered that they could hook up the cameras to the central process and store video on a Stick shoved in the USB socket, and lo and behold overnight every car in the fleet gained DashCam ability.

There is a new model of M3 ("Highland") just starting into production, and there is talk that Tesla will need to change the MY similarly to optimise production etc etc. But when that will happen, and whether it will happen within 2024, is anyone's guess. I think it is more likely to be sooner than later ...

Reactions: elddum and Gubro
Thank you for those who actually showed interest in explaining things that might be obvious for those who already know their way around the Tesla world.

I did try to gather information but I clearly stated I was a newbie when it comes to basically anything related to Tesla.

I just feel saying “maybe” was completely unwarranted for.

It might be obvious for you, but if my lack of knowledge bothers you, all you have to do is ignoring the thread.

Now I understand why he said what he said, but I still think being rude was uncalled for.

I spoke to Octopus about the new M3 and it is not quotable yet, but my contact person said it was going to be more expensive (monthly) than the outgoing model was despite the new one is actually cheaper (the full price).

This is how I ended up ordering the MY.

Thank you again for the answers.

Last edited:
Do Shanghai models come with the carpet on the rear door adjacent panels now, so the seatbelts dont rattle or is that still an exclusive Berlin thing?

1000002720.png

Good morning,

I have an MYP, from August, built in the Fremont USA factory. Your's will come from China, and that means a few small differences. Here are some educated guesses for you.
I went with the standard tyre size as I do believe those better for ride comfort.
Perhaps. For sure, the smaller the rim, the better the range. I think entirely due to weight of the rims.
No. But maybe. Probably not though, it's too early.
I have no idea, but I suspect tires vary.
Probably not LFP. Probably 2170 batteries, but maybe not. I'm not sure if China is putting in different battery types than the Fremont factory in the US.
So far, only the front windows are double pane.

Tesla introduces changes throughout the build cycle. It's very hard to say that a particular feature will or will not be on future cars. Many mechanical items have been eliminated (sensors, seat adjustments, trim bits), others changed (cameras, computer hardware, heat pump) and others added (carpet bits, insulation, double-pane windows). I was worried about the suspension being harsh on my MYP, but when I test rode an MYP in July I found that they had just changed to 'Comfort' suspension.

Good morning,

I know these are obvious things for you peeps but I am just starting off with Tesla, coming from a classic iOniq.

Thanks in advance
Morning,

I ordered the same model as you in white, with no extras just the vanilla LR.

Ordered on Wednesday last week and have a date confirmed from Tesla for 30/11/2023.

Have you looked on the Lex portal to see if your date is on there? No way a Jan delivery for you

Morning,

I ordered the same model as you in white, with no extras just the vanilla LR.

Ordered on Wednesday last week and have a date confirmed from Tesla for 30/11/2023.

Have you looked on the Lex portal to see if your date is on there? No way a Jan delivery for you
Mine was ordered on the 26th, the Tesla app says expected between today and the 14. Nov.
What is this Lex portal?

We just picked up an LR in white, with a white interior and 20-inch wheels from Dartford.

The rear windows are laminated, tyres are Michelin, no idea about batteries. Rear windows also have privacy glass, which was a surprise.

Interestingly was missing a rear headrest, but they said at collection to raise a service request.

Thanks

Hash