Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As suggested I contacted my service manager to clarify the warranty concerns regarding drag racing. As I pointed out before the SM knew that I ran my Tesla before and after my Ludicrous upgrade. My mind is now at ease because of the following comments.

1. Tesla service is not for profit. Other manufacturers don't share that goal.

2. If I had an accident at the drags and I had to be towed if something broke there might be a problem. Modifications could also void the warranty.

3. If I had a noise in the drivetrain Tesla would repair or replace with no questions asked.

4. A Tesla has no clutch or transmission or engine so there is very little that can go wrong.

5. The crowds seeing how fast a Tesla is is beneficial to Teslas sales.

6. I was encouraged to keep drag racing.

I pointed out the warranty wordage about racing but was assured that Tesla is not a normal car manufacturer. Yes I do know the SM by first name. I also added that Tesla knows from their logs of where the car has been and that we post our times in Drag Times. My trust in Tesla has been reassured. I was also advised not to pay too much attention to comments in the threads as it could drive me crazy.

Last edited:
As suggested I contacted my service manager to clarify the warranty concerns regarding drag racing. As I pointed out before the SM knew that I ran my Tesla before and after my Ludicrous upgrade. My mind is now at ease because of the following comments.

2. If I had an accident at the drags and I had to be towed if something broke there might be a problem.

3. If I had a noise in the drivetrain Tesla would repair or replace with no questions asked.

4. A Tesla has no clutch or transmission or engine so there is very little that can go wrong.

I pointed out the warranty wordage about racing but was assured that Tesla is not a normal car manufacturer. Yes I do know the SM by first name. I also added that Tesla knows from their logs of where the car has been and that we post our times in Drag Times. My trust in Tesla has been reassured. I was also advised not to pay too much attention to comments in the threads as it could drive me crazy.
His name is Raymond right?

2. If I had an accident at the drags and I had to be towed if something broke there might be a problem. Modifications could also void the warranty.

That's reassuring, actually.

I certainly wouldn't bait Tesla with actual race results :) Again, it's about understanding your service manager and how they might work with you as a customer. Tesla is still a boutique/niche car maker, it's possible that the service wing has guidance to work with warranty claims unless abuse is undeniable. The reality is that we just don't know and it seems the risk to an individual owner is a lot higher if Service wants to cause problems.

Then again, I can only afford one Tesla and I am kinda banking on that warranty being pretty stout.

Be careful with warranty claims. Case in point made by another company with a long racing history... that promotes motorsport advertising.
I have many friends with documented warranty claims that have been denied by Porsche for track use...trust me they play hardball :cool:

Last edited:
Be careful with any warranty claims. Case in point with another company with a long racing history...
I have many friends with documented warranty claims that have been denied by Porsche for track use...trust me they play hardball :cool:

I am inclined to agree with your first sentence. I don't see how it can hurt to err on the side of caution in this type of matter.

Great post!!!

@St Charles ,
I was being facetious earlier with the ip address subpoena, but nsx1992's comment about tesla keeping up on dragtimes.com got me thinking. When you post a time slip, you give them the location, time and date. It would be a very simple search of their location database to find the car that was there at that time. Not that I think there's any real danger, though.

Last edited:
@St Charles ,
I was being facetious earlier with the ip address subpoena, but nsx1992's comment about tesla keeping up on dragtimes.com got me thinking. When you post a time slip, you give them the location, time and date. It would be a very simple search of their location database to find the car that was there at that time. Not that I think there's any real danger, though.

I'm not nearly so concerned about some shmoo at corporate trying to correlate vehicle location with a timeslip as much as I am about a local service manager trying to stay in line with some global warranty claim metric. Tesla may very well care significantly less about their service centers volume of warranty claims. I am certain that they are tracking it, however.

I'm not nearly so concerned about some shmoo at corporate trying to correlate vehicle location with a timeslip as much as I am about a local service manager trying to stay in line with some global warranty claim metric. Tesla may very well care significantly less about their service centers volume of warranty claims. I am certain that they are tracking it, however.
I don't think there's much to be concerned about, but in the article that p85dee linked to earlier, a warranty claim was denied because somebody entered in a race. Speculation is that Mitsubishi was cross checking their owner database against posted racing results.
Tesla's search would be much easier.

Last edited:

I didn't bring it up earlier, but there were a few things that made me leery when considering warranty coverage and Tesla's readiness or reluctance to cover a "questionable" warranty claim in a situation such as is being discussed here.

I based that concern on how they've reacted in a couple of unrelated issues.

There had been some examples described in here of pano roof issues following dash cam installation which had been met with warranty hassle. A search of this forum will show.

Secondly the Model S60 range issues that some of those owners have described and Tesla's reluctance to help those people with a battery warranty repair.

I once met an S60 owner at a cars and coffee who was just barely making it to the next Supercharger on some road trips.

His range was ridiculous. I met him back during the spring at that event.

I'm talking having 5-6 miles to spare when he reached the next one with his wife and little ones in the car.

He had been fighting with Tesla over a battery replacement under warranty for months, told me that one day the service center told him that he was approved for a replacement, set an appointment for the replacement, and then called him back a couple days later and told him that a battery replacement for his range loss was not covered after all. They wanted, if I recall correctly, around 16 grand for a new battery.

This is why I'm leery of the Tesla service is not for profit idea.

That was months ago that I met him. As far as I know, he could still be in a fight with them trying to get a new battery under warranty.

I'm thinking if they'll give him a hassle over a warranty repair on his range loss, then what about a case where their verbiage is very clear on racing?

Finally, back, when they were in trouble, to some observers, myself included GM seemed to be a lot more aggressive when it came to denying warranty claims that they had any chance of getting out of.

That has since caused me to wonder how much correlation there is if any, between red ink and belt tightly, and a readiness to immediately step up in a borderline warranty issue. Especially a major claim.

Last edited:
There have been many many posts about Teslas warranty performance. Some report a bad experience while others are very satisfied. As more and more Teslas are sold the SC are getting stressed and people complain about not getting a Tesla as a loaner. My experience is great as I have not had any problems except a door handle not coming out which Tesla came to my house and fixed. Also they did realign my chrome at the doors as it was maybe 1/8 of an inch off.

What is clear to me that Tesla is not concerned if you occasionally take your car to the drag strip. No warning letters have been sent to owners posting their times on DragTimes which they could do very easy. They certainly advertise the benefits of instant torque and that the P100DL is the quickest car you can buy.

P85DEE is leery of the Tesla service is not for profit idea. The first thing my SM said that Tesla service is not for profit. Elon has stated the same thing numerous times. It is ironic that P85DEE accused the owners who publicly questioned the 10.9 of hurting Tesla is now publicly creating doubt about Tesla warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.