Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@NSX1992 it was my first time at the drag strip. Here's the 11.57 pass. The location is about 50 miles from me and charging was difficult but they allowed me to use a NEMA 14-50 at reduced amps onsite that gave me about 26 mph if I recall. This was on an older firmware at that time. I think I could knock off some tenths with higher SOC and a little better traction. I also didn't get to try with slip start which seems to help.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 53
I thought about offering that up as a solution too.

But the trouble is the other gentleman, eclipxe's car is a late build, possibly with a late battery in it and he's only making 454KW or so.

We don't know yet the number on his battery, but if it turns out to be one of the later 1071394 batteries, then looking at the part number beforehand might not help.

Can you refuse delivery of a Tesla without losing your deposit?
If something isn't right about it certainly. If it were me I'd be prepared with copies of the battery stickers and if mine was different I would ask for a written explanation.

If something isn't right about it certainly. If it were me I'd be prepared with copies of the battery stickers and if mine was different I would ask for a written explanation.

That's what I'm getting at.

We don't know yet, but what if eclipxe, or someone else for that matter, with a peak of 454 KW, has the same battery sticker that others in here making 500+ KW have?

His car is I believe an after 4/16 build.

It could turn out that even with the "right" sticker, you're still not making 510 KW.

The only way to know for sure would be to test the car with Powertools or through some other means, prior to his taking delivery of it.

Last edited:

We don't know yet, but what if eclipxe, or someone else for that matter, with a peak of 454 KW, has the same battery sticker that others in here making 500+ KW have?

It could turn out that even with the "right" sticker, you're still not making 510 KW.

The only way to know for sure would be to test the car with Powertools or through some other means, prior to his taking delivery of it.
Really the only way to test this is to find a common denominator such as the battery part number plus some real track times. I don't think Tesla would accept third party reports either.

Yeah, car entered production May 24th. If I have a "new" battery but am capped at 454 kW, then it is almost certainly a software config and likely not a full roll out. If I never get the upgraded power, I will be contacting Tesla.

If I have an "old" battery and am capped at 454kW (and others have "new" batteries) I will be contacting Tesla.

First time poster but long term Model S owner, just taken delivery of a model S P90DL refresh, built early May 2016. 451Kw logged in Power tools at 85% SOC Max battery had 5 minutes left to ready (ran out of time, will charge to 100% and max bat tomorrow). Battery part number is 1056776-00-E (image attached). Just wanted to add some more data to the thread. Not seen this battery number listed before?
I remember reading somewhere that the "-E" batteries are for regular 90D. Only "-C" is for P90DL.

I've been trying to measure my late 2014 P85DL build and I've noticed a few weird things in how the PowerTools data is displayed. Are others seeing something similar?

In the image below, the yellow highlighted lines show a date anomaly and the green highlighted lines show an incorrect sort order.

View attachment 182297
You just traveled back in time to 1969 for a second during warp speed launch. Nothing wrong with the app ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: jpet and benjiejr
zhur0002 was kind enough to answer my question regarding his car and anything which may have been done to it.

He is the gentleman who holds the current ET and trap speed records.

11.128 @120+ mph and has two trap speeds in the 120s and another 11.1.

He has a 2015 build P90DL which has been rooted allowing him access to menus not seen in factory stock vehicles.

The inquiry stemmed from a screenshot of his dash showing data not typically seen in stock cars.

When asked, it came to light that this info was from the factory mode.

The interesting thing is that the car likely has the older battery in it as he says it is a 2015 build. Mentions that it's a 4/15 build date. Running 2.22.50.

That build date is nearly a year prior to the earliest build dates we see in here with the beast mode power numbers.

His response is in the other thread.

Honest P90D(L) Quarter Mile Performance
Pretty sure his car is 2016 April car, NOT 2015 April. P90DL wasn't even out yet in until like Sept 2015.

He also stated his records here as a 2016 car.
Fast Tesla Model-Ss 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

But the P85D never made anywhere near close to 691 hp by any standard. The motors were capable of handling 691 hp if they had a power source that could deliver 515KW which the P85D didn't. The debate was not whether or not the P85D actually made the power but whether Tesla was correct in advertising 691 hp when they meant motor capability rather than hp actually produced by the machine sold.

Advertised 1/4 mile times can almost never be achieved by non professional drivers. And since a few P90DLs have hit 11.2, it's not out of the realm of possibility to think that with a professional driver, you could hit 10.9. However, this thinking which normally applies to ICE cars where you need high skills and training in how to launch just right, doesn't apply to the "even grandma can get 2.9 second 0-60 times" Tesla.

So the short of it is, it's just the opposite. Horsepower is horsepower and Ford and Mazda have been sued in class actions for making as little as 10 hp less than claimed, but no manufacturer has ever been sued for not being able to meet performance specs.
For P90DL, I thought the difference between 11.2 (from drag strip) and 10.9 (from spec) is simply the 1 foot roll out. This typical add 0.3 second to make it a real world number, which is exactly what we have (11.2 - 10.9 = 0.3). I am not 100% sure if drag strip numbers include or exclude the 1 foot roll out number.

@NSX1992 it was my first time at the drag strip. Here's the 11.57 pass. The location is about 50 miles from me and charging was difficult but they allowed me to use a NEMA 14-50 at reduced amps onsite that gave me about 26 mph if I recall. This was on an older firmware at that time. I think I could knock off some tenths with higher SOC and a little better traction. I also didn't get to try with slip start which seems to help.

View attachment 182401
Your performance is on par with other P85D in this DragTimes rank (Fast Tesla Model-Ss 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com)

Yeah that's weird. It looks like just 1071394-00-A batteries are showing increased power.

I entered prod 8 days after you AnonNJ.

1071941-00-C appears to be the X battery, but still 454kW.

Feeling a bit annoyed w/Tesla now.

Maybe they've enabled the power increase, but only for certain packs...and will roll out increase for other packs soon? I mean they did ship refreshed cars with broken DRLs....Once can hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.