Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
St Charles - Do you know what your Firmware release was at that time?

I do not, sorry. I'm still very new to what I can figure out from my car. Is it possible for me to dig this out of logs easily? I did note that at the time max battery really only let me use Launch mode and did not feel any different.

I really think that the 11.1 pass was a product of gaming the staging system and learning how to launch the car appropriately. I've been drag racing cars for almost a decade at this point and there are some big differences between competitive racing and hunting for an E/T.

Heres my PowerTools Graph from last night, it was a run up to 65 MPH

graph.png

a super shallow stage?

A Tesla which makes so much instant power would benefit more than most from a shallow stage.

What other launch tips?

slip start? Hill hold? stomp or launch mode?

Mostly it's finding the stickiest part of the track and achieving a super shallow stage. The goal is to exploit the 1ft runout as much as possible. Something I did notice is that the car seems to creek forward ever so slightly before it explodes off the line. Launch mode lessens this a bit but it's still there. The Model S really does come off the line well but it isn't as violent as launching off a transbrake. This leads me to think that Launch Mode could be tweaked to pull a little more off the 60' time at the track. There may also be a bit to be gained from running a more drag appropriate tire and very light wheels. The problem is this will cost MPH on the big end because of additional resistance from the sticky tires.

I also found success in 'spooling' launch mode for a little bit before letting the brake go. Basically hold the launch until the suspension settles fully, reaction time be damned.

I do not, sorry. I'm still very new to what I can figure out from my car. Is it possible for me to dig this out of logs easily? I did note that at the time max battery really only let me use Launch mode and did not feel any different.

I really think that the 11.1 pass was a product of gaming the staging system and learning how to launch the car appropriately. I've been drag racing cars for almost a decade at this point and there are some big differences between competitive racing and hunting for an E/T.
No, it isn't easy to dig firmware history from logs. I think you need to go through Tesla, which would be a hassle. The reason I ask is obviously the current ongoing speculation over whether newer P90DLs are quicker due to firmware or hardware.

I'm a contributor to http://ev-fw.com/tracker.php is a nice self-reporting crowd-sourced database for keeping your own records and seeing the statistics. My P90DL is now on 2.20.30 and my P85 is on 2.20.45. What Firmware are you on now? (touch the top center "T"). I'm curious if it is the same release that fiksegts just received.

Last edited:
Reactions: St Charles

Thanks for pointing this out.

I've always thought that learning the car has been a part of the steady improvements in ETs that we have seen over these last few months.

I have run 11.224 @119.00 and 11.275 @ 119.64 in my P85DL. I have tried Launch mode with no improvement therefore I use slip start for best results especially when you are racing against a Z06. I would love to see the P90DL get a promised 10.9 so hopefully the reported improvement in kilowatts will do the trick.

FWIW, on 2.20.30, and using Max Battery Power today, I hit the normal 450kW. :( Maybe newer firmware… looking forward to what fiksegts sees. Mine was a Sept 2015 build.

so this morning i drove to my normal launch section with maxpower enabled starting from a 90% charge. still said i had 25 min remaining for the heat up. when i punched the power graph "looked" like normal but maybe the car had a little more oomph. could be i just feel terrible today. so the question is.. how are you reading the 450kw? powertools seems to be an iphone only setup? are you logging with the canbus setup? a while ago i asked on the data logging thread where to get a cable but it got lost in the noise i guess...

I'm using teslalog.com. It's basically the same as PowerTools… I've seen no difference in data and so stopped using PowerTools. Last I checked folks hadn't figured out how to get to the canbus on the newer builds (sept+). I'm pretty sure they've solved that but I don't really want to tear apart my dash to tap in. Data rate is much slower over the network but it's decent for this stuff.

also, for those getting more power, are you waiting for the preheat of the battery to complete? or are you just turning on the maxpower button hitting the go switch? would be silly if we had to wait for preheat to complete, yet still need 100% SoC to get the maximum power of the car...

Status
Not open for further replies.