Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some digging to check what I said. The motor trend article never used the words 'high desert', but there have been couple MT articles on their testing procedures that do. The more recent is Nov 9, 2015 where they say the testing for MT car of the year for the last ten years is done at the Hyundai proving ground near California city, CA. They show an aerial photo, which is attached, and it was easy to find the location on google earth, picture attached.

I am also attaching a picture from the MT P90D article of the car undergoing testing. See the vbox antenna taped out the window. Now compare the background mountains in that picture and the MT aerial photo. I think it's the same testing location.

The upshot is that Google Earth says the dragstrip in the middle of the oval has an altitude of 2,525 feet. This is lower than I figured for "high desert" but still may be enough to improve the quarter mile time by a little bit: I haven't written a simulator that would show by how much.

Finally, I see the test car has no pano roof, but it does have the heavier 21" wheels.

Wow, thanks sillydriver, that's very informative.

I agree: 66 feet. And here is some interesting drag strip trivia on that point -- which also explains why drag strip trap speeds will be less than true speed at very end of 1/4 mile:

" previous to 1989, there were three timing lights at the end of the track; one AT the end of the quarter mile, and one 66 feet before, and one 66 feet after. The middle light was used to calculate the et of the run, and the time to travel the 132 feet at the end of the track was used to calculate the trap speed. This gave the average speed at the end of the track, but you can see what this lead to. Most of the racers stayed on the gas for an additional 66 feet past the quarter to get a consistent speed to evaluate their setup. The track's 'shut down area' of course is a fixed length, but the pro racers were starting to hit 300 mph plus by the end. In an attempt to get these guys off the gas 66 feet earlier and 'make' the cars appear slower, the NHRA stopped using the last light around August of 1989. Today, the trap speed is calculated between the light at the quarter mile and the one 66 feet before. So any timeslip after 1989 is really giving the average speed 33 feet from the finish, which is pretty close to one percent slower than before [i.e., at the finish]. from Trap Speed Vs. ET explained here

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
I agree: 66 feet. And here is some interesting drag strip trivia on that point -- which also explains why drag strip trap speeds will be less than true speed at very end of 1/4 mile:

" previous to 1989, there were three timing lights at the end of the track; one AT the end of the quarter mile, and one 66 feet before, and one 66 feet after. The middle light was used to calculate the et of the run, and the time to travel the 132 feet at the end of the track was used to calculate the trap speed. This gave the average speed at the end of the track, but you can see what this lead to. Most of the racers stayed on the gas for an additional 66 feet past the quarter to get a consistent speed to evaluate their setup. The track's 'shut down area' of course is a fixed length, but the pro racers were starting to hit 300 mph plus by the end. In an attempt to get these guys off the gas 66 feet earlier and 'make' the cars appear slower, the NHRA stopped using the last light around August of 1989. Today, the trap speed is calculated between the light at the quarter mile and the one 66 feet before. So any timeslip after 1989 is really giving the average speed 33 feet from the finish, which is pretty close to one percent slower than before [i.e., at the finish]. from Trap Speed Vs. ET explained here

So there it is. A good way to compare trap speed and Vmax.

• Informative
Reactions: P85DEE and msnow
Under "How" acceleration testing.
Testing, Testing - The Motor Trend Way - Motor Trend

A drag strip trap speed is measured just as Bill D states above.
Interesting article, thanks! That explains the speed and the antenna on the roof of the red test car. But since the 10.8 ET is the more disputed metric am I to assume they also used GPS for that too instead of timing lights?

Interesting article, thanks! That explains the speed and the antenna on the roof of the red test car. But since the 10.8 ET is the more disputed metric am I to assume they also used GPS for that too instead of timing lights?

Taking into account their explanation of their methods, and looking at th pics and info sillydriver posted up earlier, it is clear that their results were not obtained on a drag strip using timing equipment found on a drag strip, but was timed via other means, namely GPS.

This is why all the talk about no one seeing a "trap speed" matching the "trap speed" of the magazines is well, curious.

The magazines aren't listing a "trap speed". They're listing a Vmax. Or they speed th car was traveling once it had traveled 1320 ft of distance as opposed to its avg speed in a 66ft "trap" starting 66ft in front of a drag strip finish line.

As for the a ETs, again, they're not obtaining them from a drag strip using timing equipment on a drag strip.

They're using GPS to obtain those too.

Last edited:
Taking into account their explanation of their methods, and looking at th pics and info sillydriver posted up earlier, it is clear that their results were not obtained on a drag strip using timing equipment found on a drag strip, but was timed via other means, namely GPS.

This is why all the talk about no one seeing a "trap speed" matching the "trap speed" of the magazines is well, curious.

The magazines aren't listing a "trap speed". They're listing a Vmax. Or they speed th car was traveling once it had traveled 1320 ft of distance as opposed to its avg speed in a 66ft "trap" starting 66ft in front of a drag strip finish line.

As for the a ETs, again, they're not obtaining them from a drag strip using timing equipment on a drag strip.

They're using GPS to obtain those too.
Curious indeed. How could you expect to achieve identical results (or better) than 10.8 doing it a different way? That was rhetorical.

Curious indeed. How could you expect to achieve identical results (or better) than 10.8 doing it a different way? That was rhetorical.

A GPS device can be set to mimic the results which would be obtained on a drag strip.

But of course that is not the same as a time actually obtained on a drag strip as how close the two are may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.