Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the range with the old battery pack? I have a facelifted model with the 1071941-00-C battery and my range has always been 275 miles at 100%. Are you saying this indicates increased power? I was under the impression that the facelifted model might say 275 miles of range because of other things such as aero improvements.
No, EPA on your battery is still 270. Do you have Max Battery On? I understand that could be the cause of a miscalculation.

I vary between 265-270 miles at 100%. I'm thinking the increased capacity is an indication of additional power. Given that the allowed discharge rate is a calculation of capacity we can pretty safely assume that you have slightly more power on tap than I do.

I vary between 265-270 miles at 100%. I'm thinking the increased capacity is an indication of additional power. Given that the allowed discharge rate is a calculation of capacity we can pretty safely assume that you have slightly more power on tap than I do.

I've seen this theory tossed around a bit, and it has peaked my curiosity St Charles.

If the increased range is indicative of increased power, let us consider the P85D vs the retrofit P85DL cars.

My own car was upgraded to P85DL. A clear increase in power, but my range didn't increase, and I've not seen where anyone else's range increased following the power increase of going from P85D to P85DL.

Reactions: NSX1992
I have max battery off 99% of the time. The range has always been 275 miles at 100% or 246-247 miles at 90%. It's been this way since delivery and I have about 9000 miles on the car now.
Can't explain it but if it was a real EPA increase you would expect Tesla would advertise it. Is it possible there is an algorithm issue with your gauge? Are others with you car and pack also getting 275?

I've seen this theory tossed around a bit, and it has peaked my curiosity St Charles.

If the increased range is indicative of increased power, let us consider the P85D vs the retrofit P85DL cars.

My own car was upgraded to P85DL. A clear increase in power, but my range didn't increase, and I've not seen where anyone else's range increased following the power increase of going from P85D to P85DL.

It's the other way around. Increased battery capacity, therefor range, would presumably lower the internal resistance of the battery, as it did in going from 85kwh to 90kwh with the v2 battery. The lower internal resistance would mean less voltage sag at 1600 amps, so you would get more power.

In the conversion to your P85DL they increased the current from 1300 amps to 1500 amps. There was no increase in capacity, so no increase in range.

Reactions: St Charles

But a V2 battery would have more power at 1500 amps than a V1 battery simply because of less voltage drop. The P85DL simply gets more power by increasing current from 1300 to 1500 rather than some chemistry or configuration change that results in more loaded volts at the same current.

But a V2 battery would have more power at 1500 amps than a V1 battery simply because of less voltage drop. The P85DL simply gets more power by increasing current from 1300 to 1500 rather than some chemistry or configuration change that results in more loaded volts at the same current.

I must have misunderstood the question. I thought he asked how an increase in range could increase power. Yes, you can also get an increase in power without an increase in capacity. I wasn't involved with the v1 to v2 transition. Was there a range change with no kwh change, and if so is it attributed only to the battery? How do get more range without more capacity, other than through efficiency?

Last edited:
The reason I think this is valid is because there seem to be changes with recent battery models. I know my pack can produce a max of 500kW as measured by myself and @ShotgunF15E. There are others who have measured their packs at over 500kW as well as under 500kW. As we discover other packs out there I suspect that we will see even more power variations. We also know that putting a more powerful pack in an older P90DL will yield the expected higher output. Given these factors, I think it's better to track by battery rather than by car.

I think a valid question which Tesla should answer is what is a valid power output that a P90DL SHOULD be capable of outputting.

That power should accelerate a basic config car to meet the specs. Understandably, if you're car is not a basic config, maying it'd be slower at the track, but wouldn't the power output be expected to be the same regardless of add-on options like pano and 21" tires, etc ?

If the answer is it takes a min of 500kw to get a basic config MS to 10.9, then earlier models would meet the definition of deficient.

I think a valid question which Tesla should answer is what is a valid power output that a P90DL SHOULD be capable of outputting.

That power should accelerate a basic config car to meet the specs. Understandably, if you're car is not a basic config, maying it'd be slower at the track, but wouldn't the power output be expected to be the same regardless of add-on options like pano and 21" tires, etc ?

If the answer is it takes a min of 500kw to get a basic config MS to 10.9, then earlier models would meet the definition of deficient.

If forced to give an answer to that question, they'll no doubt say 456KW give or take.

This is the low end power level of the first versions of the car.

To say anything more than that, or give a higher number than that, would the tantamount to saying that the first cars they sold had no chance of reaching their spec.

If forced to give an answer to that question, they'll no doubt say 456KW give or take.

This is the low end power level of the first versions of the car.

To say anything more than that, or give a higher number than that, would the tantamount to saying that the first cars they sold had no chance of reaching their spec.

Low end? What's the high end of the V2 car? I haven't seen anything higher than 458KW on a V1 car.

Low end? What's the high end of the V2 car? I haven't seen anything higher than 458KW on a V1 car.

Doing this on my phone and it's typically why I like to edit, and also why I make no apologies for doing so, though it seems to get the dander up of some. I'll post from my phone first, and if it doesn't look right on my laptop or desktop when I get to it, I'll edit it if time permits. But did not get a chance to this time.

It should have been edited to say: "This is currently the low end power level of the P90DL, and was the observed power level of the first versions of the car".

The idea that I was trying to convey was that 456KW is the current low end for the P90DL.

The lowest I've heard of in a V1 car was 452KW if I recall correctly.

But the point that I was trying to make was that 450ish KW was the original power level for the P90DL, a milestone which apparently has been passed.

Yesterday there were 4 Teslas at Sacramento Speedway. Zubinanary reported on the Tesla Motors site that he did 11.269 @ 119.42 and 11.267 @ 117.36 in his refreshed P90D upgraded to Ludicrous. There were also a P90D Factory Ludicrous, a P85DL and a P85. There were no times given for those so I requested if they could post them plus in DragTimes.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
launch mode not used and no max battery on the 11.2 @ 119.4MPH, 60' must have been bad... I'll be at the drag strip tomorrow with a P90DL v2.... kind of a waste to goto the track and not be setup correctly...

Yesterday there were 4 Teslas at Sacramento Speedway. Zubinanary reported on the Tesla Motors site that he did 11.269 @ 119.42 and 11.267 @ 117.36 in his refreshed P90D upgraded to Ludicrous. There were also a P90D Factory Ludicrous, a P85DL and a P85. There were no times given for those so I requested if they could post them plus in DragTimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: St Charles
Status
Not open for further replies.