Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had been thinking my shudder was getting worse even on low.

Turns out that several of the spots where I have been acceleration hard actually have wavy pavement from all the vehicles accelerating. I tried on a new section of pavement and it's silky smooth.

I'm now ready to say that Always Low has worked for me. The only remaining shudder issue is while towing, which still stinks and needs a fix, but is not as urgent. Of course your car may be worse.

There is not going to be a fix for older models. As usual with Tesla, it's best to buy it a few years after a new model comes to the market so that most issues are fixed by then.
Ahem, you do realize this is an all new, fully adaptive suspension developed in-house? So wait another few years and let them work out the quirks on this new suspension?

• Funny
Reactions: ModlS3XY
The San Rafael SC claims a fix is available, and they already did one install a few days ago on one MX. Mine is in service there now, and they are supposed to fix it with the new kit, but they weren't sure they had one on hand at the SC. I'll report back when the car is ready for pickup. As you may know, the SR SC is very good, one of the largest ones.
Keep us updated - please share part numbers used in the service if they do the repairs!

The San Rafael SC claims a fix is available, and they already did one install a few days ago on one MX. Mine is in service there now, and they are supposed to fix it with the new kit, but they weren't sure they had one on hand at the SC. I'll report back when the car is ready for pickup. As you may know, the SR SC is very good, one of the largest ones.

Please cut and paste that portion of the repair invoice for us to look at. Thanks

That my center as well. Definitely let us know.

Fingers crossed! I’ve been on Low for a year now, but I really hate the look of the X in that setting. (And the occasional scrape on a low driveway doesn’t help either.)

Will watch the thread carefully!

Reactions: Fiddler and Michelx
Today, I picked up my MX and I was told they replaced the half shafts with new ones that are supposed to solve the issue once and for all. I'm attaching the worksheet below, but part numbers look the same as before to me. Odd. But according to the person returning the car, they had stopped replacing these until this fix, as there was no safety concern and they invariably started shuddering again. The SC said I was the second car to get the updated shafts. We'll see if this holds up....
MXShaft.png

Today, I picked up my MX and I was told they replaced the half shafts with new ones that are supposed to solve the issue once and for all. I'm attaching the worksheet below, but part numbers look the same as before to me. Odd. But according to the person returning the car, they had stopped replacing these until this fix, as there was no safety concern and they invariably started shuddering again. The SC said I was the second car to get the updated shafts. We'll see if this holds up....View attachment 401284

Thanks for the update and repair invoice. So how does the car ride after the repair? Is the shudder completely gone at all the programmed suspension ride heights?

Today, I picked up my MX and I was told they replaced the half shafts with new ones that are supposed to solve the issue once and for all. I'm attaching the worksheet below, but part numbers look the same as before to me. Odd. But according to the person returning the car, they had stopped replacing these until this fix, as there was no safety concern and they invariably started shuddering again. The SC said I was the second car to get the updated shafts. We'll see if this holds up....View attachment 401284

Hmm...you’re right, these part numbers (halfshafts and jackshaft assembly) are unchanged from what many of us already received before. The service notes you posted indicate a motor mount was also replaced, but I don’t see a part number listed for it. I wonder if the mount plays some role in the "fix."

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiddler and Michelx
Thanks for the update and repair invoice. So how does the car ride after the repair? Is the shudder completely gone at all the programmed suspension ride heights?
Yes, no shudder in low and standard settings. Haven't tried on higher settings, though. I only go above standard height for steep driveways and in parking garages with concrete stoppers.