Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Generation Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To confirm it is not aftermarket, my boyfriend was looking at the etching to see what bulb the headlight takes.
For example, our headlights say D3S etched on them these did not have any bulbs etched into them, hence LED.
Hardly visible, but for the inquiring minds...

View attachment 73233View attachment 73234View attachment 73235
The etching is on the the actual headlight cover right? Retrofitted lights can use the same outer shell while only modifying the inside. However why would a car with dealer plates have retrofitted headlights?? It seems to be some sort of prototype since they definitely don't look like a finished product!!

I'm guessing this will be first seen on the Model X. And then on the facelift Model S.

I'm guessing this will be the case for MANY features. The Model X will probably coincide with the so called software update change all the MS will get. But I'm sure you're right about various items such as lights and other goodies that will be X and updated-S. So, +1 to what you said amzng.... :)

So isn't the headlight the big round one on the end (like we have now)? Maybe that will be removed at some point.

If you compare the lights in the original post to what are on the car now, the housings are essentially identical--except for being black instead of silver. As you note, the actual headlight appears to be the same, and the strakes along the bottom are the same, as well.

e30df2040dbb43fc455cbbe82f38b822.jpg

The difference is that the turn signal LED is gone, and in its place is a new plastic piece (or pieces) holding the new, small projectors. Those new plastic pieces look, to me, like they might swivel laterally, so these may be adaptive or dynamic headlights. Just a guess.

Maybe the turn signal will be like those "cool" Mustang tail-light turn signals and start from the inner lamp then illuminate all towards the edge LOL. 2013 Style LED Tail Lights on 05-09 Mustang - YouTube

It only makes sense that Model S would go to full LED for the headlights - isn't that the only non-LED bulb on the car now? The BMW laserlight headlights on the i8 are amazing - you can have your high-beams on while a car approaches and it just blacks-out that one section where the other vehicle is. Also can illuminate a hazard such as a pedestrian or animal with a high-power spotlight to assist the driver. Additionally, the OLED taillights BMW has in prototype now are gorgeous. Lots of cool lighting applications out there - including the S-Class interior lighting.

CES 2015 BMW Audi Laser Headlights - YouTube

I would imagine a prototype of an all LED headlight, as already mentioned.

Recall the Model X prototype and its headlight design:

ModelX_SS06_620x467.jpg

I can imagine without the elegant coverings it may look something like what we are seeing on this Model S.

Manufacturer/dealer plates say it all. :)

Maybe the turn signal will be like those "cool" Mustang tail-light turn signals and start from the inner lamp then illuminate all towards the edge LOL. 2013 Style LED Tail Lights on 05-09 Mustang - YouTube

It only makes sense that Model S would go to full LED for the headlights - isn't that the only non-LED bulb on the car now? The BMW laserlight headlights on the i8 are amazing - you can have your high-beams on while a car approaches and it just blacks-out that one section where the other vehicle is. Also can illuminate a hazard such as a pedestrian or animal with a high-power spotlight to assist the driver. Additionally, the OLED taillights BMW has in prototype now are gorgeous. Lots of cool lighting applications out there - including the S-Class interior lighting.

CES 2015 BMW Audi Laser Headlights - YouTube

I think the laser lights are still not approved in the US, though, are they?