Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow I just got a message from SC that they can fix my car (occasional black center screen, no blinkers) remotely! We're not having daily or even weekly issues but have had it act up a few times. Directed to contact SC by roadside assistance during the last episode about three weeks ago. Have not had an issue since. My appt for the daughter board replacement was scheduled for next week.

Has anyone else had this addressed remotely?

My guess is the Biden administration will be less tolerant of a light regulatory touch. Doubt they will get a pass on this.

Also have a scheduled customer pay daughter board replacement coming up and deciding what’s the best move now. Suspect supplies will be hard to get for quite some time if they are forced to do the full recall

If you are paying anyways and have some cash to spare, I would just go all the way and do an MCU2.

I had my daughter board replacement covered, and will still do a jump up to MCU2 anyways.

Wow I just got a message from SC that they can fix my car (occasional black center screen, no blinkers) remotely! We're not having daily or even weekly issues but have had it act up a few times. Directed to contact SC by roadside assistance during the last episode about three weeks ago. Have not had an issue since. My appt for the daughter board replacement was scheduled for next week.

check back with us in about two weeks. You might be disappointed at the effectiveness of the remote "fix"....

Reactions: outdoors and NHK X
Thanks I wonder if I can turn this down and insist on the recall fix. Seem like PIA to have to try the remote fix first. I did send a message thru the app saying I didn't want the remote fix. Guess they can just do it and cancel my appt.

Seems like there's zero "PIA" in having someone "fix" your car remotely, unless I'm missing something.

I agree it's not likely to be any sort of permanent solution, but there is no "recall fix" to insist on at this moment and they're quite likely to tell you to pound sand until there is.

Reactions: brkaus

No evidence that this unapproved remote repair is any effective than you rebooting it, or clearing your nav history.

See the actual approved Service Bulletin. Mobile service is not approved, much less remote actions.

They just want you to go away. If you car is mostly working maybe you should. When demand explodes and parts run low who knows quality of the parts or work.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
Thanks I wonder if I can turn this down and insist on the recall fix.

There is no recall fix yet.

See the actual approved Service Bulletin. Mobile service is not approved, much less remote actions.

Yeah, and the TSB lists specific conditions upon which they replace the daughterboard. If those aren't met they don't perform the TSB. It seems that those conditions can be queried remotely.

Reactions: gearchruncher
The PIA is having an issue not fixed and the risk of the wife being stranded. This almost happened last time if malfunctioned.

In your case fully agree. Recall or not, almost all cars are covered under the eMMC warranty.

Get an appt and insists they follow the SB to the letter. Gently suggest to them that if they don't and the unreplaced chip fails, causing an accident, there could be liability for them personally. ( I have no doubt in this admittedly very unlikely case, that the SA or tech involved would be thrown under the nearest bus by the Mothership.)

No evidence that this unapproved remote repair is any effective than you rebooting it, or clearing your nav history.

They just want you to go away. If you car is mostly working maybe you should. When demand explodes and parts run low who knows quality of the parts or work.

Anywhere I can see a copy of this TSB?

That is a really good argument for the semi and Cybertrucks to come AFTER Tesla service and recall problems are completely fixed.

Tesla can jerk us around and new fans will always step up to tell us it's our fault our MCU failed, but the Trucking fleets and contractors will do the opposite. Word of mouth about the current state of Tesla business practices would end their chances at commercial trucks. If Walmart cancels their orders because they are treated the same as every other Tesla buyer, prospective buyers will learn what owners are treated like before they sign their mvpa. Youtube influencers and Consumer Reports get special service VIP treatment because they only have one or two cars in service at a time. I don't think hundreds of trucks will get the VIP treatment long term.

Service is finally going to improve soon!

Reactions: Droschke
Anywhere I can see a copy of this TSB?

It has been posted elsewhere, hard to find a direct link that works.

I think to say this is not the first time, and will not be the last time we will have to pull a SB to get proper service from Tesla. The trend on service quality is going down fast.

To get any SB on any car made by a recalcitrant mfg, go to the USA NTSB site, search for manufacturer communications, under your cars year make and model.

I have THE glitchiest touchscreen in the entire MS fleet. Most recently, I couldn't get it to reboot when heading out on a cold evening so all the previous settings ran for upwards of 30 mins. before coming back to life. I can live without a backup camera but no defrost on a night in the single digits?! With no SC here in Alaska I imagine we'll be at the bottom end of the recall list. So frustrating.

The problem I see with most Tesla owners is they do not press warranty issues. If you are not near a service center, it is impossible to talk to anyone. A lot of owners had rather just pay for an upgrade than try to an pursue. an issue... .My expectations are, you pay for a car and everything on it is supposed to work or be repaired at no additional cost during the warranty period established by the manufacture. . We get a lot with Tesla, software updates etc. Upon purchase, this was the deal they offered and we paid the price. I for one got nothing free.. One big hint. How many people have MCU1 with a working browser? This was a feature on my car and I expect it to be fixed. I will do what it takes

Another consideration: my eMMC replacement took three days. This was around October 2020. I, like others, subsequently went to MCU2 as I’d already had HW3 installed. I was afraid that if I stayed with MCU1, I’d end up with less than FSD operations.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hasi212
I also went with MCU2 upgrade, simply because I'd rather pay the expense now than have my family deal with a non-functioning car and Tesla service during COVID times.

It's really disappointing how Tesla is handling this thus far. I really hope NHTSA rams the long schlong of the law into Tesla and forces them to fix all the MCU1 cars and sets a precedent where Tesla is more responsible for fixing other safety issues like control arm failure.

I was at A SC Tuesday and the service writer told me I needed to document the outages (2 days of black last week and several reboots and freezes ) .And make an appointment (@ 2 week backlog at this point ) . I guess I will wait to make the appt at this point . I can't imagine replacing the chip with anything but a uprated chip .I was going on a trip to the local mountains but turned around and changed to my Bolt as I didn't want to proceed without climate change control.. Like most of you I was contacted by the class action lawyers and recieved a email from Tesla describing the problem . I hear Elon is now the richest guy around and is taking his company to Texas because he can't be bothered by CA's rules . SO what are you gonna do for us . I love my car and just want a speedy repair that keeps me on the road .

Reactions: plumazul