Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did not know about the touch controller problem. Can voice commands help in this case? I know I can turn on floor vent and climate via voice commands...
You know, I'll give it a try next time. I never use voice commands because they never worked for me, but it's worth a try as a quicker thing than rebooting the screen. Lucky I don't have pano roof, so there is no risk that "turn HVAC vents to windshield" will open the pano to vent position, flooding the car while I reboot the screen. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: P100D_Me
For me, if that was true, I'd take Tesla to court. "All cars include hardware required for FSD." If MCU2 is required to do FSD, it has to be free when you buy FSD.

There is clearly reduced FSD feature display in an MCU1/HW3 configuration, and I could not get reliable confirmation from Tesla folks that FSD would "see" the same world and would work the same without MCU2.

This has been my stance from the onset of MCU problems. I don't care about games and I don't need side camera views when I'm in FSD mode. I'll be with you in court if it's needed for FSD. I only bought because Elon said they would pay to get me whatever hardware is necessary to FSD.

Yea I bought when FSD was 2k on top of my EAP for this reason. I knew MCU1 couldn't handle FSD and they would probably have to upgrade to MCU2. Of course I didn't realize elon would weasel his way out of his guarantee about hardwire requirements. Before it was FSD. Now it's FSD without some visuals. Next is FSD but sometimes it will crash because the MCU1 nav system can't feed FSD reliably, but hey it works sometimes so we delivered!

Of course I didn't realize elon would weasel his way out of his guarantee about hardwire requirements.
It takes a few years with Elon's product to realize that he really means it when he says "ship it now, fix it over the air, pay for hardware fix only if we have to". That quote came from one of his early employees. In the past Elon has gone to great length to avoid making the customers whole - want to see my 691hp P85D, and the evolution of excuses, from EV power is different that ICE power all the way to motors could deliver it if they were fitted in a different car ;). "Elon hp "is a new unit, like British hp or Metric KW, in case you are wondering, Elon-hp is approximately equal to 1.5 British hp, so 463hp actually developed by P85D meets the 691hp claim (they skipped the "e" in the "ehp" because Elon is too modest). I will give his team one thing, they got really good at fine print disclaimers, perhaps you didn't read the FSD disclaimer, but it pretty much says Tesla has until the end of time to deliver it, so if you come any time before then, all they have to tell you is they are still working on it.

In this case, HW3 is in fact independent from the MCU, which means AP will in fact see everything your version of the cameras let it. You just won't be able to see it as a visualization, which might mean you won't be able to supervise it as intended (for example, you will not know if the car sees some obstacle until you let the car hit it, and even then you might have to wait until you go to court and Tesla pulls the logs). Additionally, any features which require MCU, such as dashcam, will work slow or not at all on MCU1, but Elon is smart, therefore he never included dashcam recording as an FSD feature.

It was always clear to me that the original MCU in our 2017 MS was not up to the tasks that it was being asked to perform. Very slow, timeouts, freeze ups. After almost all software updates, I could never access the update details. Surfing the web was almost impossible, even with WIFI. One of the most frustrating was the inability to access the owners manual. It just wouldn't load. I wore my thumb's out rebooting. If you noted the past tense in the above comments, it is because we paid the $2500 to install MCU2. It was quite a journey to get the upgrade. I ordered it through my local service center when they notified me that I was eligible for FSD upgrade. I tried to order the new MCU so both updates could be done at the same time but that didn't work as they couldn't get the new MCU. A month or so later, I was notified by automatic email that the new MCU was delivered, in my name, to the service center. Unfortunately, before I could set up an appointment, they called me to inform me that they were diverting my unit to someone else who had a failed unit. I wasn't happy but I understood the reasoning. The unit was reordered at that time. About a month and a half later, I was again notified that the unit had arrived and this time, I forked over $2500 and it was actually installed. Was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! The difference is astounding. Almost all functions are instantaneous, the graphics are better and I can even surf the web without WIFI! It has really transformed the feel of the whole car. Naturally, I hope that I will be reimbursed all or most of my $2500, Maybe Tesla could offer a discount on future purchases instead of returning the fee. How about free FSD on my CyberTruck reservation?

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
I was at A SC Tuesday and the service writer told me I needed to document the outages (2 days of black last week and several reboots and freezes ) .And make an appointment (@ 2 week backlog at this point ) . I guess I will wait to make the appt at this point . I can't imagine replacing the chip with anything but a uprated chip .I was going on a trip to the local mountains but turned around and changed to my Bolt as I didn't want to proceed without climate change control.. Like most of you I was contacted by the class action lawyers and recieved a email from Tesla describing the problem . I hear Elon is now the richest guy around and is taking his company to Texas because he can't be bothered by CA's rules . SO what are you gonna do for us . I love my car and just want a speedy repair that keeps me on the road .
I was in a week ago and they could see everything that happen to my car, reboots etc. They just cleared the data and reset. everything, then sent me home. Now my car will stop at a flashing light and stops for all lights, red, or green. Has no preference.I have sent in 50 bug reports and done some rebooting. Does fine if not on EAP. I am not willing to pay for anything covered under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I was in a week ago and they could see everything that happen to my car, reboots etc. They just cleared the data and reset. everything, then sent me home. Now my car will stop at a flashing light and stops for all lights, red, or green. Has no preference.I have sent in 50 bug reports and done some rebooting. Does fine if not on EAP. I am not willing to pay for anything covered under warranty.

my car HW3,MCU1 also stops at all lights unless I push the pedal through. It doesn't even follow leading cars through. It just slows down to stop. I thought this was just as far as the public software was

this option?

8393E4F3-C205-4C4E-AC87-CBCB233CAF4B.jpeg

I’ve had my car in to service two times. Actually three if you count the time they looked at it remotely and cleared the cache. The last two times pretty much the same thing along with “it’s bad firmware” loaded new firmware. It made it until the next day before crashing as I was pulling out of the garage. Twice more as I was driving. In the dark with either no lights or only high beams. And can’t tell you how many black screens.

I’ve tried voice command during these outages. Nothing works for me. My steering wheel buttons don’t do anything at all. It goes in again Wednesday hoping it’ll be fixed this time.

my car HW3,MCU1 also stops at all lights unless I push the pedal through. It doesn't even follow leading cars through. It just slows down to stop. I thought this was just as far as the public software was
I have FSD trial on my Model 3 and it's the same. It will stop at every intersection unless you tell it to continue either by the accelerator or stalk (tells you to do that on the screen). Does the OP not have the prompt?

Last edited:
$2500 is too much for the upgrade now that they should be replacing at a minimum the chipset. If they do the mcu1 to mcu2 upgrade for less that $1K, I'm all in, but anymore, I'm opting for just the chipset. Sure I get fast browser, smoother mapping, and a few more games, but $2500 or $3000 with FM can actually buy me a pretty nice gaming computer with a 3080. It just doesn't justify the cost for those minor things. ill just save that $3K amd stick it in the stock market and use my phone while I supercharge out in the road.

so much for recalls don't have time or mileage limits.

If the Warranty Status for the “8GB eMMC Tegra Adjustment Program” is “Inactive”, it has been more than 8 years since the original delivery date, the vehicle has an odometer reading greater than 100,000 miles (160,000 km), the eMMC name is other than “Hynix”, “H8G2d”, or “S0J58x”, or the vehicle is not experiencing an 8GB eMMC or replacement eMMC malfunction due to accumulated wear, then the vehicle is ineligible for this Warranty Adjustment Program.

Last edited:
That is a TSB, Technical Service Bulletin, not a recall. (At this time there is not a recall on the MCU1s.)
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

might refresh your memory as to why I said that, I know a TSB isn't a recall but the discussion has been ongoing about the recall and you even replied in that vein. Did you mention the TSB limit in that discussion on the other thread?

or should you clarify here that a recall might override/replace the TSB you are linking to here? Because just linking to it and not mentioning that it isn't the final result might be confusing/misleading.

I'm sure you know what is going on, I'm sure I know what is going on, but your comments here unqualified don't cover the entire picture.

Last edited:
I have FSD trial on my Model 3 and it's the same. It will stop at every intersection unless you tell it to continue either by the accelerator or stalk (tells you to do that on the screen). Does the OP not have the prompt?

The way it works is it will slow and prompt for every light unless there is a car in detectable distance in front of you (e.g. you can see it on the visualization display). If there is a car in front that goes through a green light, your car will also go through the green light without stopping or prompting.

Initially when the traffic light beta first came out, it would stop at every single light regardless of what was around you. It has gotten smarter since then and you kind of learn/anticipate its moves.

might refresh your memory as to why I said that, I know a TSB isn't a recall but the discussion has been ongoing about the recall and you even replied in that vein. Did you mention the TSB limit in that discussion on the other thread?

or should you clarify here that a recall might override/replace the TSB you are linking to here? Because just linking to it and not mentioning that it isn't the final result might be confusing/misleading.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O? Someone asked where they could see the TSB that someone else mentioned and I provided a link to it. Nowhere did I say that was a recall, or related to a recall; I was just directly answering someone's question.

In a completely different thread someone was trying to calculate the cost for the recall NHTSA requested, and mentioned people being passed a mileage limit and reduced their estimate based on that. And I mentioned that a recall doesn't have an age/mileage limit.