Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Investigates Failing MCUs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally the design flaw is getting detected by the NHSTA. On my model S I was lucky that a week before getting ownership from the previous owner the screen failed. The previous owner then replaced it before transfer, pretty bad for them, I was lucky. I took a look on various pictures taken from the board and it seems like Tesla went hardware wise with the cheap consumer grade eMMC offered by Hynix at the time. From my experience in the electronics world with car manufacturers normally car electronics are assembled with automotive grade components to withstand higher temperatures and longer life time writing cycles. Side note there are Consumer, industrial, automotive and military grade components offered by IC companies. It looks like Tesla went the cheap way and with there initial extensive logging this now is taking its toll on the consumer grade eMMC. Consumer grade is perfect for handheld devices that are disposable but in my opinion this should not be applied to car electronics.

Hope it will become a recall. And hard acceleration rattle on the front wheel too.

Here is the service bulletin for the acceleration shudder problem. If Tesla can replicate the noise during a test drive, they should be able to fix it. Just make sure that it can be heard when air suspension is at Normal setting otherwise they will say it only shows up when set to high.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162295-9999.pdf

The best fix right now for the least amount of money appears to be the EMMC replacement.

Still fairly difficult for anyone that's not handy. And the hassle of shopping
Finally the design flaw is getting detected by the NHSTA. On my model S I was lucky that a week before getting ownership from the previous owner the screen failed. The previous owner then replaced it before transfer, pretty bad for them, I was lucky. I took a look on various pictures taken from the board and it seems like Tesla went hardware wise with the cheap consumer grade eMMC offered by Hynix at the time. From my experience in the electronics world with car manufacturers normally car electronics are assembled with automotive grade components to withstand higher temperatures and longer life time writing cycles. Side note there are Consumer, industrial, automotive and military grade components offered by IC companies. It looks like Tesla went the cheap way and with there initial extensive logging this now is taking its toll on the consumer grade eMMC. Consumer grade is perfect for handheld devices that are disposable but in my opinion this should not be applied to car electronics.

Such a stupid design. They created this mess and I hope NHTSA throws the book at them. They continue to ignore the issue is their fault. I have no sympathy for any fines/recalls/lawsuits they may face.

@TravelFree Your 2020 S probably has a screen that may suffer from the yellow border screen too, it's not something "older" cars can get unless they had a recent screen replacement. The older ones leaked goo and would get visible bubbles in the screen instead - yellow border screens were Tesla's recent attempts to fix the older problem.

The fact that you don't know this doesn't make you hate Teslas, it just means you're newer to all of this than the person you're accusing.

Wake me up when that 11 number grows to 6000
The NHTSA says the number is already 159000 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INOA-PE20010-4553.PDF

Loss of headlight and window defrost controls are long-established NHTSA recall criteria, it isn't just about camera malfunction.

None of us hate our cars, we want Tesla to get better because we love Tesla. Tesla occasionally needs encouragement to stop making itself worse, that encouragement might be difficult but it's tough love not hate.

I think mine is on borrowed time in the 2014S, so hopefully something happens with this soon. It will be great to get Tesla to cover the cost of the repairs!
2012-2014 are on borrowed time 15-16 starting to fail a lot now from what we see. Typically a finding should reimburse 3rd party repairs. After finding you may have to go to Tesla and wait in line. I've heard reports from some of my customers they have been waiting 2 months for a replacement.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
@TravelFree Your 2020 S probably has a screen that may suffer from the yellow border screen too, it's not something "older" cars can get unless they had a recent screen replacement. The older ones leaked goo and would get visible bubbles in the screen instead - yellow border screens were Tesla's recent attempts to fix the older problem.

You should probably define "older" I know the screens on AP1 MCU1 as well as AP2 MCU1 cars still developed yellow borders, and those may be "older" to some of these fancy raven youngsters.

Reactions: Chaserr
i have a 2017 with 49k miles. See below video. In the past month my car now requires a reboot during every drive, data and streaming stops. I plan to file a complaint. My car is going for service next month to fix the AC and I've let Tesla know about my concerns. But I doubt they would replace the MCU unless it is completely gone

Correct they typically have not replaced till it was blacked and they cant reload firmware on them again to keep them going. If your out of warranty we can help you. I'm 99.99% sure you have a emmc issue. Do you happen to have a usb stick for music or recording?

Goo screens we see are typically 2014 or older from what I remember.
In my 2012, I had the MCU failure, and the 2nd MCU was installed in 2018.
It got the yellow border within a year, and went bad (failure) 2 months later.
Now I am on my 3rd MCU, as of Dec 2019.

I wonder how long it will be before this 3rd MCU:
1. Gets the yellow border
2. It fails

My MS only has 41K mi.

Tesla knows that have released an inferior design/product - they just won't own it.

It’s interesting the investigation scope doesn’t address headlights and/or turn signals. Mines already been replaced, so I can’t test anything. Do automatic headlights work with a dead MCU? What if it was in manual on/off?

In my 2012, I had the MCU failure, and the 2nd MCU was installed in 2018.
It got the yellow border within a year, and went bad (failure) 2 months later.
Now I am on my 3rd MCU, as of Dec 2019.

I wonder how long it will be before this 3rd MCU:
1. Gets the yellow border
2. It fails

My MS only has 41K mi.

Tesla knows that have released an inferior design/product - they just won't own it.

Curious if you have paid attention to the interior cabin temperature? I wonder if excessive solar heating is causing this yellowing of the LCD screen. I have measured temperatures as high as 143°F in the Florida Spring sun. This is with a test I was running with the Cabin Overheat protection switched off. I was testing battery drain due to Cabin overheat settings.

I believe if Tesla didn't have concerns over cabin heat they probably wouldn't have added that feature. I can't imagine what Arizona might be like, or Death Valley where outside temperatures get to 130°F.

FWIW- I have the glass roof board reflectors and windshield reflectors but my car cover works better. The Car cover keeps the solar heating below 100°F.

Curious if you have paid attention to the interior cabin temperature? I wonder if excessive solar heating is causing this yellowing of the LCD screen. I have measured temperatures as high as 143°F in the Florida Spring sun. This is with a test I was running with the Cabin Overheat protection switched off. I was testing battery drain due to Cabin overheat settings.

I believe if Tesla didn't have concerns over cabin heat they probably wouldn't have added that feature. I can't imagine what Arizona might be like, or Death Valley where outside temperatures get to 130°F.

FWIW- I have the glass roof board reflectors and windshield reflectors but my car cover works better. The Car cover keeps the solar heating below 100°F.

I've seen this 140F number before - it's common for cars left out in sunny places. It's why I leave the cabinover protection on - trying to protect all the electronics - Tesla, Blackvue, etc.

On the flip side, 140F will breakdown the coronavirus in just a few minutes.