Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Investigates Failing MCUs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's a "non-issue" than why do we see almost daily threads about MCU1 failure? I think the damage has already been done.

Of course. Damage is done. Its a non issue to him since they released the software patch and mcu2. Just like how he fixed the web browser, with mcu2. He pretty much ignores all the cars that are on their death beds. Mine being one

The MCU controls sound, so the turn signals work and flash on the IC but don't make a sound. Once the dead MCU is replaced everything is back to normal.

My big problem was that I couldn't charge my car at more than about 0.5 kW with the dead MCU. That's too slow to be useful. I've heard that Supercharging still works but the nearest one is 95 miles away and that was way too far away for me to get to for an experiment that could leave me stranded.

It does not affect all cars, but some cars loose actual use of signals after mcu dies. They do not light up on the exterior of the car when requested from the stalk. I've seen this on several occasions and test this scenario with every car I attempt to fix.

I'm interested to learn how this plays out. My car is starting to freeze up a bit and reboot randomly. I can actually get it to reboot just searching for a radio station on TuneIn... I got it to reboot twice doing the same thing while waiting for my ice cream at Sonic. AC turns off completely every time it reboots. Blinker sound goes mute at times as well - and screen freezing.

It's getting worse - hope this results in some permanent fix going forward.

The best fix right now for the least amount of money appears to be the EMMC replacement.

Reactions: rickyjb
I wonder how this may affect Tesla's plans and pricing - if the the NTSB receives more complaints of failures it may force Tesla to fix these failures

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says in documents that it's investigating failures in the 2012 through 2015 Tesla Model S.

Documents posted Wednesday say the agency has received 11 complaints about the screens over the past 13 months in vehicles that have been in use from 3.9 years to 6.3 years.

If the screens fail, the cars will lose the rear camera display, causing reduced visibility. No crashes or injuries have been reported.

I wonder how this may affect Tesla's plans and pricing - if the the NTSB receives more complaints of failures it may force Tesla to fix these failures

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says in documents that it's investigating failures in the 2012 through 2015 Tesla Model S.

Documents posted Wednesday say the agency has received 11 complaints about the screens over the past 13 months in vehicles that have been in use from 3.9 years to 6.3 years.

If the screens fail, the cars will lose the rear camera display, causing reduced visibility. No crashes or injuries have been reported.

Well the issue is not ongoing. All the newer cars don't have the problem with mcu2. Tesla has to bite the bullet and make older owners whole

Well the issue is not ongoing. All the newer cars don't have the problem with mcu2. Tesla has to bite the bullet and make older owners whole

Depends on your definition of making owners whole. For example in a number of cases with transmission design defects all they did was reimburse out of warranty repair costs the fell in an 2 year/24k mile extended the warranty. They didn't actually resolve the problem such it would never happen again, or proactively repair a non-failed vehicle. That might be good enough with the current software, and especially if they have sourced better eMMC parts to put in recently refurbished MCUs.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
Depends on your definition of making owners whole. For example in a number of cases with transmission design defects all they did was reimburse out of warranty repair costs the fell in an 2 year/24k mile extended the warranty. They didn't actually resolve the problem such it would never happen again, or proactively repair a non-failed vehicle. That might be good enough with the current software, and especially if they have sourced better eMMC parts to put in recently refurbished MCUs.

So for those with MCU1, their best hope is a favorable investigation. Then, hopefully when it's recalled t's already failed on them and they took the time to upgrade to MCU2. A portion of that then becomes reimbursable, but then there might be an argument as to whether it was an upgrade or a repair, with requirements to provide proof of failure... Otherwise, as you said, they'll end up with a refurbished MCU1.

So for those with MCU1, their best hope is a favorable investigation. Then, hopefully when it's recalled t's already failed on them and they took the time to upgrade to MCU2. A portion of that then becomes reimbursable, but then there might be an argument as to whether it was an upgrade or a repair, with requirements to provide proof of failure... Otherwise, as you said, they'll end up with a refurbished MCU1.

Tesla should just pay for the 3rd party EMMC replacement and be done with it.

Tesla should just pay for the 3rd party EMMC replacement and be done with it.

When recalls happen, reimbursement for 3rd party work is typically covered.

But if it’s work not yet performed, then whether they do it in house or via 3rd party is up to them.

Keep in mind that Tesla would have to ultimately warranty the part. So they’d have to enter an agreement with the 3rd party to make sure the services warranted, performed to their satisfaction. It’s no longer a 3rd party at that point, it’s contracted service that represents Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Tesla doesn't need to recall MCU1s to fix this issue. If you watch the "Consolidated EMMC..." videos explaining how to fix your EMMC, the chip is on a removable circuit board inside. If there is a recall they could make replacement circuit boards and install them on the original MCU.

Actually from looking at the EMMC threads that circuit board is an entire Tegra computer. They could potentially convert an MCU1 into Intel hardware and make it a frankenstein MCU2 just by replacing that circuit board. They won't, but they could.

@odguy You can submit anything. Right now there is an investigation into unintended acceleration that was started by one person who faked dozens of reports.

• Informative
Reactions: Ron Burgundy
Moderator note: This post plus the two following posts were merged from a new thread.

I had posted this in an MCU failure thread, but thought it deserved it's own post. I hope this is okay.

The NHTSA has opened an investigation into the MCU failures:
The investigation is happening because of the safety element - Loss of rear camera.
That is the key to put in your complaint - explained below.

The NHTSA opened the investigation because they have received 11 complaint in the last 13 months.
Well, I gotta believe there are a whole lot more than that, as mine was not registered.

Here is where you go to register your MCU complaint:
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Enter Your VIN
What part of your car was affected? OTHER
What Happened? Loss of rear view camera
Then fill out the rest of the online form which is self-explanatory.
You will receive a Complaint Number, and can also print out a copy of the report.
You will then receive an email from the NHTSA to confirm your email address.

Here is an press article written about it:
Tesla under investigation for Model S touchscreen failures

Last edited by a moderator: