Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NIssan Leaf is a Better Car Than the Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a serious question or a joke?

That was honestly my thought when I saw the title... figured as I own both, could at least elaborate a response. But hands down the M3 is a better car, even with just the base model.

I left it out of my original post; however, one key difference for why the Model 3 is superior is charging. The only fast Charger is CHAdeMO, which is significantly slower than Tesla's SC.

Last edited:
EVgo just opened some DC chargers near me and they charge 30 cents/minute (with a 45 minute session time) for pay as you go and 26 cents/minute if you pay their $7.99 a month membership fee. Electrify America has a $1.00 session fee and charges between 30 to 35 cents/minute depending on location (with a 40 cent/minute idle fee "if applicable"). Does Tesla Supercharging bill by the minute or by the kWh used ? I've only Supercharged once and I'm still under the free Supercharging period, so I was curious how it is billed.

I remember the early days when we had our 2012 Leaf and 2013 Honda Fit EV we carried around so many key chain cards for the different companies: chargepoint, blink, EVgo, Greenlots, City of Sac, etc. that I was envious of the Tesla Supercharging network.
I also have free supercharging miles, but if I go to my nav, click the charging station overlay icon, then the map shows all Supercharger locations. If you click on each red pin, it tells you how many total charge stations are at that location and how many are unoccupied. It shows the max charging rate in kW. It also shows cost. Some stations are from $0.11 to $0.13 per minute. Some Superchargers charge by kWh e.g. $0.26 per kWh. Try looking. The charge overlay button is the round button on the lower right on your map. Other options include a traffic overlay.

So I owned a 2013 Leaf and it's a great grocery getter.
That's about it.

Used one's are super cheap and there is a reason for that.
LOSS of CAPACITY.

When mine was new, 85 miles was a realistic full charge travel distance.
Just 20k miles later it was barely a 60 mile car.
I live in FL and the heat kills the battery \ no active cooling.
I always parked in the shade!!!

If you want one, do not expect the battery to last... period!
Nissan has not learned anything as the new ones still have inadequate battery climate control.
The Leaf also has pouch cells in 'series', if one fails...you are toast. (Teslas are parallel and have redundancy)
Also (at least the first two generations) used Lithium-Ion Manganese Oxide. not so good.
Other than the battery issues the Leaf was a good car to drive and was reliable. but also ugly.

Tesla for the win!

Reactions: qwertzy and Tron 3
Though in fairness, there have also been articles recently about how fast Electrify America is installing DC fast charger locations. And the Supercharger network doesn't seem quite as dominant in other countries. I think someone in Canada posted here recently that their closest one without crossing into the US was 400 miles away? Or maybe it was a 4 hour drive? Something like that. I was pretty surprised.
Take a look at the Electrify map. Last time I checked all THREE of their chargers were in CA <sarcasm>. Seriously, they have a LONG way to go before they'll be close to Tesla or even Nissan for that matter. Tesla seems to site their chargers based on population. That's sensible, but it does leave large rural sections of the country with no/low coverage. South Dakota is bad, Alaska is pretty much non-existent.

• Informative
Reactions: Tron 3
Comparing the cars (Leaf and Model 3) on the basis of range is like saying that a Honda Accord and Maserati have the same range based on the size of their gas tanks and MPG ratings — it completely misses the major differentiating points.

This is right. If you want an around-town efficient people transporter for the lowest possible up-front cost, get a leaf. If you want a fun to drive, sporty car that happens to be an EV, and have a few extra bucks to spend for it, get an M3.

That reminds me, why did you decide to not buy a used Model S ? It is an honorary member of the CHAdeMO network.

Honestly if the right one comes along I think we would. We looked really closely at one on autrader in Toronto. It had an 8500 declaration on it. Right rear quarter so it scared us away. Plus I think it’s overpriced. An S would check a lot of boxes for us. It was still hard to get in and out of but it its a hatchback and can be fast charged on Chademo. Also has a heated steering wheel. Regardless, a model y is probably otherwise in our future.

It’s not over till it’s over. The Leaf doesn’t arrive till next year.

Honestly if the right one comes along I think we would. We looked really closely at one on autrader in Toronto. It had an 8500 declaration on it. Right rear quarter so it scared us away. Plus I think it’s overpriced. An S would check a lot of boxes for us. It was still hard to get in and out of but it its a hatchback and can be fast charged on Chademo. Also has a heated steering wheel. Regardless, a model y is probably otherwise in our future.

It’s not over till it’s over. The Leaf doesn’t arrive till next year.
I don't have any personal experience to share although I know that Tesla sells a used car inventory