Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NIssan Leaf is a Better Car Than the Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying that anyone who says Leaf batteries are fine, wont degrade are liars and HURTING people by giving them wrong information?

Just making sure we understand the gravity of the debate here.
I'm saying the experience of myself and others is that their batteries are crap. But, I'm willing to listen to any posters here that have suffered no significant degradation (less than double digit %) on their Leaf batteries after a few years. I suspect we will hear crickets. I'll you something else about the Leaf: The first capacity bar loss is actually much more than the rest of bars. Nissan cleverly covered up the loss by making the first bar 15% of the capacity while the rest are only 7.7% for each. So, when your first bar goes you've lost a lot more than you think because it's the same as TWO of the rest of the bars. So, NEVER buy a used Leaf with even ONE bar missing.

I'm saying the experience of myself and others is that their batteries are crap. But, I'm willing to listen to any posters here that have suffered no significant degradation (less than double digit %) on their Leaf batteries after a few years. I suspect we will hear crickets. I'll you something else about the Leaf: The first capacity bar loss is actually much more than the rest of bars. Nissan cleverly covered up the loss by making the first bar 15% of the capacity while the rest are only 7.7% for each. So, when your first bar goes you've lost a lot more than you think because it's the same as TWO of the rest of the bars. So, NEVER buy a used Leaf with even ONE bar missing.

Probably too early to tell but we are in year four with ours and still 12 bars. 30 KWH SV. Don’t have Leaf spy. Could care a less. It does everything we need it to do. Went on an appraisal the other day. Did about 110 km. Arrived at the fast charger with 39 percent. Just a guess but I would say we are down 10 or 12 percent. Meh.

We are looking forward to our model 3 late this year or next year but we have a deposit on a Leaf Eplus just in case they don’t come out with a CCS/Chademo adapter.

Probably too early to tell but we are in year four with ours and still 12 bars. 30 KWH SV. Don’t have Leaf spy. Could care a less. It does everything we need it to do. Went on an appraisal the other day. Did about 110 km. Arrived at the fast charger with 39 percent. Just a guess but I would say we are down 10 or 12 percent. Meh.

We are looking forward to our model 3 late this year or next year but we have a deposit on a Leaf Eplus just in case they don’t come out with a CCS/Chademo adapter.
I would say you're probably doing better than average. Do you live in a colder climate?

I think the heat anywhere south of Canada is hard on Leaf batteries. I know there were all kinds of problems with rapid degradation for AZ owners on the first year models.

That’s what I hear. We have a neighbour with a 2015 with all 12 bars but admittedly both of us have under 30,000 km.

It might be a little early to draw conclusions on the 62,KWh plus battery.

I am not too optimistic for the adapter...

Why? They've already developed one for Europe. North America shouldn't too far behind.
I hope you are right, however, although they had a chademo for the x and the s, nothing came out for the 3. As for the ccs, nothing is announced yet beside "it is coming soon" from the people working in the Service centers. Again, I really hope the near future will prove me i am wrong.

I'm not sure about the leaf, but I just did a road trip in my Model 3 from LA to Vegas in 4 hours with a stop at the Supercharger.

Free Supercharging and Tesla HPWC at the Hotel for free over night charging. Total trip is to travel was $0.

I would not buy any other EV if it can't get to SF or Vegas in a decent amount to tim .

If you don't drive far then a Nissan Leaf could be a way to go, but their pro Pilot is not anywhere near AP.

View attachment 406946
And ol' Eddie's Gas is probably discounted. I went by a Mobil station that was over $5. Ouch. LOL

I'm saying the experience of myself and others is that their batteries are crap. But, I'm willing to listen to any posters here that have suffered no significant degradation (less than double digit %) on their Leaf batteries after a few years.
My LEAF was manufactured in 10/2013 and has 12/12 'capacity bars' -- so something under 15% degradation.
Make no mistake though, the LEAF battery is not in the same league as Tesla and fast charging in the USA is a Tesla affair.

I agree with those who say a comparison is silly:
LEAF: EV commuter. May be cheap
Tesla: Best car. Period

Last edited:
TFL Car did a video not to long ago comparing efficiency of the new Leaf and the Tesla. They ended up being roughly the same as far as efficiency goes but that's about it.
Tesla Model 3 Vs. Nissan Leaf Plus: Which Is More Efficient Driving Up A Mountain? Thrifty 3 Ep. 4 - The Fast Lane Car

and no this is not my youtube channel....LOL

It was a good comparison in real world conditions. The leaf is less car for less money but has some nice features lacking on the model 3. Regardless, if they get the CCS/Chademo adapter sorted out we would still by the model 3.

TFL Car did a video not to long ago comparing efficiency of the new Leaf and the Tesla. They ended up being roughly the same as far as efficiency goes but that's about it.
Tesla Model 3 Vs. Nissan Leaf Plus: Which Is More Efficient Driving Up A Mountain? Thrifty 3 Ep. 4 - The Fast Lane Car

and no this is not my youtube channel....LOL

I watched that video, it wasn't measuring efficiency, they were watching/comparing the miles of remaining range, except the leaf gauge is completely inaccurate. Since the trip back was an easier trip, the leaf started showing optimistic range numbers. They should have been comparing energy used on the trip computer.

These guys are complete amateurs when it comes to EVs.

I watched that video, it wasn't measuring efficiency, they were watching/comparing the miles of remaining range, except the leaf gauge is completely inaccurate. Since the trip back was an easier trip, the leaf started showing optimistic range numbers. They should have been comparing energy used on the trip computer.

Oh I agree they are amateurs with respect to EV's, but then again so is most of the public.

Reactions: Evoforce

Your criticism is somewhat warranted. So long as the LEAF was not powered down during the test it was an A -> B -> A. Unlike the Tesla that displays EPA miles remaining starting from a kWh measurement, the LEAF starts from a kWh measurement and divides by recent Wh/mile. I don't know what Nissan uses for recent consumption so the result may be way off or perhaps not.

The same issue could have cropped up at the beginning of the test since they started at the same range, not the same energy in the battery.

So clearly it is not an efficiency test. But is it a good range test ? I'm not sure. SoC data would have been informative.

Reactions: PhaseWhite
Back in February OP posted this 'one week review' on a LEAF forum
Power, Performance & Range (4 out of 5); Power is good. Torque and acceleration is similar or better to an ICE vehicle in the same class. The car handles well and brakes are ABS with plenty of stopping power. This is no Tesla in performance. It doesn't have a "ludicrous mode" but it handles comparable or better than any economical hatchback in its price range with predictable cornering, good brakes and acceleration from 0-60 mph in 8 seconds. One thing I did not count on is the Leaf is very sensitive to driving style. If you drive like a maniac, then you'll only get 90 to 100 miles range out of the Leaf. If you drive like a granny, then you'll get 170 to 180 miles range out of it. I get less than 100 miles range while my SO gets over 170 miles range from the Leaf.

Comfort & Cargo Capacity (4 out of 5); This is smaller than the Tesla as the Tesla model 3 has a front trunk but the leaf only has a trunk. The Leaf is a comfortable car with a nice silent ride, like most EVs.

Technology (4 out of 5); Very impressive tech, but it doesn't have all the hardware for self driving, unlike the Tesla.

Cost of Operation (5 out of 5); This is where the Leaf shines. I spoke with some other Leaf owners and they pay approximately $100 to $150 per year in maintenance. A Tesla costs approximately $500 to 600 per year in maintenance: Car Maintenance

Conclusion (4 out of 5); The NIssan Leaf is the Miser's car. If you are a cheapskate, buy the Leaf. This is a 5 star car for you. If you are the kind of person who always has to have the newest iPhone, then buy the Tesla model 3. The Leaf would be a good, not great, car for you.

He has not seen fit to update his opinions after the Model 3 maintenance schedule was reduced to about the same as a LEAF, and he completely ignores the LEAF's lack of a TMS and abysmal DC charging network. Which probably goes to show that he is in rationalization mode now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
Back in February OP posted this 'one week review' on a LEAF forum

He has not seen fit to update his opinions after the Model 3 maintenance schedule was reduced to about the same as a LEAF, and he completely ignores the LEAF's lack of a TMS and abysmal DC charging network. Which probably goes to show that he is in rationalization mode now.

That is what happens when $25k - $35k is spent on a commuter.

• Funny
Reactions: Ludalicious