Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No-confirmation NOAP is here for the masses!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tried it.

1. Doesn't require your hand to be on the wheel to do the lane change, from what I could tell.
2. Features a groovy blue animation during the lane change
3. it will now speed up to find an empty spot in front of the car you are next to, instead of just falling back. It was quite aggressive about it! FINALLLYY.

Interesting on #3, were you going under the max speed set for TACC/AP? Does that mean you were following another car? I'm confused as to how it could speed up if neither is the case..

So I got my update this morning and my NoA, while on the highway kept going on and off and told me to contact service if it continues. Also, I was in an area where the highway opens up to 3 lanes from two and previously, NoA didn't have much of an issue here, but this morning it very aggressively kept bouncing around before the lines started to where I had to take back full control. Not sure why this behaviour happened all of a sudden. I did notice the "lane change" left then right a lot when in the middle lane even on average, when previously I had Mad Max for the confirmation based version.

So I got my update this morning and my NoA, while on the highway kept going on and off and told me to contact service if it continues. Also, I was in an area where the highway opens up to 3 lanes from two and previously, NoA didn't have much of an issue here, but this morning it very aggressively kept bouncing around before the lines started to where I had to take back full control. Not sure why this behaviour happened all of a sudden. I did notice the "lane change" left then right a lot when in the middle lane even on average, when previously I had Mad Max for the confirmation based version.
Did you see the road lines themselves curving or moving on the display? This is something I have noticed frequently in .3 where it tries to establish the center of the road. It could be a camera alignment issue or maybe, literally, require recalbration. Try driving 40+ miles with no AP at all and see if it still exhibits these issues? I find that EAP/FSD to be a bit of a nuisance on certain roads where I don't trust it enough to even use it at all. Especially on the onramp/offramp on certain curves drive not only me but probably other drivers nuts. On the open highways it is a charm, but I should not speak for this update yet, though, as I don't have it. However these may be some things to do to troubleshoot the issue. But if it says to take it into service I would heed its guidance. Try to speak to someone at the SC first?

Musk says this new update improves the NN too. So yeah, I am expecting NOA will perform better in other areas too. It's not just removing the confirmation.

56669614_929897266553_4856377976092098560_n.jpg

Just got this update last night and tried it this morning. It's kind of amazing what a difference it makes not having to pull on the stalk. Yes you do need your hands on the wheel but it's a significantly different (and sort of amazing) feeling. That said I think Tesla really has to start watching other cars indicator lights and processing them (assuming it doesn't today). A large truck in the lane next to mine indicated to pull into mine, it had plenty of room but started pulling over very slowly. As a human I could see the indicators and anticipate what was going to happen but the car didn't. It should have slowed down a little or prepared to move into another lane but it kept going. By the time it would have realised the truck was moving into my lane it would not have had time to slow down (or would have had to break very hard). Otherwise.. amazing features

I see comments like this a lot... I use NoA every day on my 40 mi r/t commute in Los Angeles. Never once has it "tried to kill me" - does it sometimes decide to abort a lane change? Yes. Sometimes slow down to avoid merging traffic when I would have sped up to do so? Yes. Maybe zig, when I would have zagged? yes, but only when either is a perfectly acceptable path.

Does it try to drive into a wall? No. Another car? no. Off the road? no.

I'm not saying that the thing won't ever make a mistake that could result in a crash. I'm saying that I find it hard to believe it's actually doing so "on a daily basis"
One of the few times I used prior to 8.5 it tried to change me into a right lane that was under construction. Would have ploughed through cones, trucks, workers. Makes me hesitant to use though I will try 8.5. I also feel it starts making lane changes for exits way too late. If there’s steady stream of traffic, it can’t get over.

Did you see the road lines themselves curving or moving on the display? This is something I have noticed frequently in .3 where it tries to establish the center of the road. It could be a camera alignment issue or maybe, literally, require recalbration. Try driving 40+ miles with no AP at all and see if it still exhibits these issues? I find that EAP/FSD to be a bit of a nuisance on certain roads where I don't trust it enough to even use it at all. Especially on the onramp/offramp on certain curves drive not only me but probably other drivers nuts. On the open highways it is a charm, but I should not speak for this update yet, though, as I don't have it. However these may be some things to do to troubleshoot the issue. But if it says to take it into service I would heed its guidance. Try to speak to someone at the SC first?

It was very strange as it has never had an issue here before. I had a number of new issues this morning and will pose them to the SC, but when it was working it was fine in regular areas. Just not sure why it kept kicking on and off.

Be careful....it thinks very "linearly". I've been trying it out.

For example:

If your exit is 2.1 miles away and you are in the middle lane.....and the car wants to change lanes to the left ( to speed up to match the speed you set ).

Then it will try to change lanes....even if it takes a mile to do so.

THEN.

It will say - "Hey....we need to get off the expressway in a mile. Let's start to immediately start merging back into the right hand lanes".

Other drivers will probably think something is wrong with you. - bouncing back and forth between lanes.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will
Be careful....it thinks very "linearly". I've been trying it out.

For example:

If your exit is 2.1 miles away and you are in the middle lane.....and the car wants to change lanes to the left ( to speed up to match the speed you set ).

Then it will try to change lanes....even if it takes a mile to do so.

THEN.

It will say - "Hey....we need to get off the expressway in a mile. Let's start to immediately start merging back into the right hand lanes".

Other drivers will probably think something is wrong with you.

Good to know. Though over time it seems like the longer-term logic will be fairly easy to add, i.e. don't need to go to the fast lane if exit is < x miles away and traffic is moving < y mph.

Reactions: Richt
I love it so far.

Thankfully it appears to follow the true rules of driving. ( unlike humans ).

For example: it will normally ONLY change lanes to pass on the left.

Anyone remember that from the "rules of the road"?

I don't believe EAP or FSD will be designed to "drive like humans" but rather to "drive like humans are supposed to drive".

Last edited:
Reactions: arcus
I love it so far.

Thankfully it appears to follow the true rules of driving. ( unlike humans ).

For example: it will normally ONLY change lanes to pass on the left.

Anyone remember that from the "rules of the road"?

I don't believe EAP or FSD will be designed to "drive like humans" but rather to "drive like humans are supposed to drive".
I wish there was a way to have it speed up a little bit when making a pass on the left. Lots of times the left lane traffic flow is going a lot faster than the middle lane. i.e. If I'm set for 68 mph and come up on a car going 67 it will make a past to the left, but only go 68. It can take a while to get around the car in the middle lane. (can be even worse if that person subconsciously speeds up a bit as you try to pass them, which is a major pet peeve of mine while driving... damn human nature) Meanwhile other cars in the left lane want to go 75.

It would be nice if there were separate settings for max cruising speed and max passing speed.

Reactions: Falkirk
I wish there was a way to have it speed up a little bit when making a pass on the left. Lots of times the left lane traffic flow is going a lot faster than the middle lane. i.e. If I'm set for 68 mph and come up on a car going 67 it will make a past to the left, but only go 68. It can take a while to get around the car in the middle lane. (can be even worse if that person subconsciously speeds up a bit as you try to pass them, which is a major pet peeve of mine while driving... damn human nature) Meanwhile other cars in the left lane want to go 75.

It would be nice if there were separate settings for max cruising speed and max passing speed.

This is what I've seen so far.

Sorry for the confusion.

The M3 won't change lanes to pass a car on the right. However it will pass up cars in the left lane if your middle lane is going faster.

Reactions: Richt

I agree with the pet peeve. In regard to the acceleration, it makes sense why it doesn't to me because then AP would be exceeding the speed limit which technically you can't do even to pass so they draw the line.

Either way, it should do a calculation of the furthest car it can see on the left and not move over if it will slow them down, a problem here in Florida where idiots drive 90-100 regularly