Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No-confirmation NOAP is here for the masses!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
until you put some torque on the wheel. Until you do it won't change lanes.
That's a bummer...

By the time we get to true FSD, we'll be required to keep both hands on the wheel at 10 and 2, it won't accelerate unless your foot is on the gas, won't brake unless your foot is on the brake, and you'll have to keep saying "I'm awake and I am paying attention!" every 30s.

At this rate, what's the point?

then you get the "put your hands on the wheel" notice and flashing blue until you put some torque on the wheel. Until you do it won't change lanes.

Are you saying that every single lane change has to be confirmed with a torque on the wheel, or the message only comes if it hasn't detected your hands in a while?
If you do need to put some torque on the wheel for every lane change, isn't this change then effectively just a switch from confirming with the stalk, to confirm with the wheel, but confirming the lane change nevertheless?

Are you saying that every single lane change has to be confirmed with a torque on the wheel, or the message only comes if it hasn't detected your hands in a while?
If you do need to put some torque on the wheel for every lane change, isn't this change then effectively just a switch from confirming with the stalk, to confirm with the wheel, but confirming the lane change nevertheless?

Yes it does need to detect your hand is on the wheel before it will initiate the lane change. I think it is probably for the best until it is more ironed out, that way you can always abort the lane change if needed.

It needs torque for every lane change. Not a big deal if you hold the wheel in a way that constantly puts torque on the wheel

Reactions: EinSV and Runebane
It needs torque for every lane change. Not a big deal if you hold the wheel in a way that constantly puts torque on the wheel

- So in prior releases, or with the option OFF, you get warned on the screen about lane change, and confirm with the stalk; hands off the wheel if you want
- With this new option, you get warned on the screen and you confirm by nudging the wheel

Isn't it effectively just changing the confirmation method?

In my case, I always clear the "hands on wheel" warning because I don't like the wheel nudging method; so isn't this feature a regression of NOA for people like me? I am failing to see how this improves in any way for me

Hard not to feel misled with announcements in the past few months. Was really anticipating this feature, but the "No confirmation NOA where you just need to turn the wheel when you want the car to turn" sounds a bit like vaporware to me.

Reactions: X Fan

Nothing is more annoying than holding the wheel and have the car scream at you to hold the wheel. Happens to me all the time. I haven’t found a comfortable way to hold the wheel and constantly apply torque yet. I wish it could just sense that you were touching it.

That's a bummer...

By the time we get to true FSD, we'll be required to keep both hands on the wheel at 10 and 2, it won't accelerate unless your foot is on the gas, won't brake unless your foot is on the brake, and you'll have to keep saying "I'm awake and I am paying attention!" every 30s.

At this rate, what's the point?
You forgot, it will follow the speed limit exactly.

Nothing is more annoying than holding the wheel and have the car scream at you to hold the wheel. Happens to me all the time. I haven’t found a comfortable way to hold the wheel and constantly apply torque yet. I wish it could just sense that you were touching it.

The car tries to detect a small torque from your hand. You can try to give the steering wheel a tiny downward force on one side. Don't pull it too hard as that will cancel AP and drive the car to the side.

- So in prior releases, or with the option OFF, you get warned on the screen about lane change, and confirm with the stalk; hands off the wheel if you want
- With this new option, you get warned on the screen and you confirm by nudging the wheel

Isn't it effectively just changing the confirmation method?

In my case, I always clear the "hands on wheel" warning because I don't like the wheel nudging method; so isn't this feature a regression of NOA for people like me? I am failing to see how this improves in any way for me

Hard not to feel misled with announcements in the past few months. Was really anticipating this feature, but the "No confirmation NOA where you just need to turn the wheel when you want the car to turn" sounds a bit like vaporware to me.

This is totally my speculation, maybe Tesla just want to be cautious. If the feature works well for hundreds of millions miles, they should be able to remove this "hands on wheel" warning before lane change.

In addition, once the ASD hardware and new NN is in place, this feature should work even better.

This is totally my speculation, maybe Tesla just want to be cautious. If the feature works well for hundreds of millions miles, they should be able to remove this "hands on wheel" warning before lane change.

In addition, once the ASD hardware and new NN is in place, this feature should work even better.

I don't expect it to be removed until it's been qualified for at least L3 driving.

I imagine they had to do this in order for regulatory agencies to still consider it an L2 vehicle.

What kinda sucks for us Model 3 owners is the steering wheel torque sensor isn't as sensitive as it is in the Model S/X. It's why most of the "sleeping while on AP" videos are of a Model S/X. You'd be hard pressed to do it in a Model 3.

I've only found one position where I can hold my hand to prevent the nag. That position is palm down on the lower right of the steering wheel. It works, but it's not a comfortable position.

All in all I don't mind this requirement.

Maybe with this I won't have so much of an issue with it nagging me while driving especially if I use the mad max setting. :p

But, I don't tend to do a lot of lane changes. I mostly just do 10 over in the middle lane, and pass on the left when I need to. NoA would be so much better if it would just mostly leave me in the middle lane instead of trying to get me over to the right all the time. I don't want the torture of dealing with how AP handles merging points in the right lane (hopefully that's been fixed).

Reactions: TradingInvest