Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No-confirmation NOAP is here for the masses!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure that it is ready for prime time. Borderline dangerous.

I think it works differently than you think it does.

I say this because it works differently than I thought it did, and I thought it would be kinda dangerous.

So you're probably wrong the same way I was wrong.

It turns out that it's not really unconfirmed lane changes. You still have to confirm or it won't actually do the lane changes. The only thing that really changes is you confirm by putting a slight amount of torque on the steering wheel.

Here is my source for this info.

Introducing a More Seamless Navigate on Autopilot : teslamotors

Now sure it can still do a lane change if you happen to be putting torque on it. But, I have a feeling that most people will actually have to do the whole "yes, I'm really here" slight effort to confirm the lane change.

I'd be really surprised if it ever just suddenly changed lanes on me.

I'm now of the opinion that it's likely going to be a significant improvement with little in the way of actual danger. Of course it's not quite what was promised, but that was likely shutdown by regulatory agencies.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and diplomat33
I think it works differently than you think it does.

I say this because it works differently than I thought it did, and I thought it would be kinda dangerous.

So you're probably wrong the same way I was wrong.

It turns out that it's not really unconfirmed lane changes. You still have to confirm or it won't actually do the lane changes. The only thing that really changes is you confirm by putting a slight amount of torque on the steering wheel.

Here is my source for this info.

Introducing a More Seamless Navigate on Autopilot : teslamotors

Now sure it can still do a lane change if you happen to be putting torque on it. But, I have a feeling that most people will actually have to do the whole "yes, I'm really here" slight effort to confirm the lane change.

I'd be really surprised if it ever just suddenly changed lanes on me.

I'm now of the opinion that it's likely going to be a significant improvement with little in the way of actual danger. Of course it's not quite what was promised, but that was likely shutdown by regulatory agencies.

Fair feedback. I guess we are making incremental and hopefully reasonably safe developments here.

It would be nice if they could vibrate the steering wheel when you have someone in your blindspot and you signal to change lanes (Obviously when not on auto pilot).

Since they added the left and right cameras to the dash cam, I've been wanting them to add the left and right camera to the screen when I have my turn signal on, like when backing up you get the rear camera. Those 2 cameras appear to be perfect for seeing what's in your blind spot.

Since they added the left and right cameras to the dash cam, I've been wanting them to add the left and right camera to the screen when I have my turn signal on, like when backing up you get the rear camera. Those 2 cameras appear to be perfect for seeing what's in your blind spot.

That isn't possible with the current architecture. The rear camera feed goes directly to the MCU to be overlaid on the screen. The side cameras aren't connected to the MCU at all. So to do that they would have to stream the side cameras from the APE to the MCU and I don't know if the network/CPU bandwidth is available to do that. (If it was possible it would probably only be on HW2.5 and above cars, since they get the video sent to the MCU to be stored on the USB drive. But can they decompress and play the video with the available CPU and UI?)

From the one drive I'm done so far with it, I am pretty impressed. Also it won't make the lane change unless it detects your hands on the wheel so you still have some control and the car jus't won't change lanes without you being able to stop it.
Did you try it on an interchange/exit? I enabled NOA while using the HOV lane on my commute this morning. It indicated that it was going to initiate a lane change 3.5 miles before my exit, into a parking lot of general use lanes. I canceled NOA at that point as I don't see the need to move over that early. Wondering if I had just waited another 2 miles or so what would have happened.