Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Garage Door Openeer on Partial Premium Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I had a 2013 Nissan Leaf and a 2016 Leaf. Neither one had Homelink built in, so I guess I just dealt with it. My wife had a Dodge Durango and Hyundai Sonata (2010-ish models) that had Homelink built in, but she got a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan that didn't have it.
I'm used to having the manual clicker, but it'll be nice to have the Premium package with my Long Range and finally have a car with Homelink built in.. :)

True, the Tesla mats may not be as all encompassing as some of the others but they are cheaper, say "Tesal" on them, and are much better than the carpet ones that came with it.
Man, you better get your money back if they wrote TESAL on them!!!:p:p

with the wording, i would of thought it would just be a manual press garage door opener. thats pretty lame

Manual press is fine. I don’t even use the location aware opener. Because it’s dangerous. We have what is called low height garage doors (which are very common). They have cables that come away from the doors. You don’t want to be standing near those when it opens (nor do I want my dogs near it).

I’ve seen a few failure photos posted of it shutting on their nice Tesla too.

When you have automatic disabled it still pops the drop down menu when I’m near. Which is nice.

If it has manual you’ll be fine just like most cars.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
I just got my new Model 3, and no garage door Opener and no carpets. Tesla didnt even bother to put a temporary paper mat.

Can someone confirm that there really is no garage door opener? That will suck on a $40K car.

Common Tesla, Not even carpets? If they could just stop wasting money giving cars away, maybe we could get carpets.

Any way to add the garage door opener?
While the $40K answers the question in this post, generally It’s helpful to include details on your specific model...SR, MR, LR, etc., etc.

My opinion is that the basic argument that something should come standard because you paid $50k is a really flawed argument. Usually the more expensive the car the more specialized it is something that differentiates it from a basic class car. With two top items among many others with Tesla is styling, and battery range. Home link is really there to convince you to pay for a higher trim level even if it means it’s included but disabled. It’s not always rational it’s business. It’s to nudge you into a higher model.

The same for autopilot grouped with TACC, again nudge you to pay for another option. They could include it all as standard and charge 65K for each vehicle and people would be priced out. I’m happy I get to choose.

Reactions: MP3Mike
While it indeed comes in many cars this price range, you have to remember that the car should actually be compared to a $25k car in many aspects. It's a stripped down model.
And when it comes to a "car in this price range" why aren't you getting another car in this price range. You want the Tesla because of multiple items that the other cars don't have. So why don't the other cars have the features of the Tesla, because they'd be more expensive.

It's all a matter of give and takes. You'll now have to use that garage door opener on your visor. Is that really a big deal?

The 2005 Prius and 2011 Leaf had homelink on the rear view mirror. I don't think people are comparing the Model 3 to more expensive cars when they say it should have homelink.

The 2005 Prius and 2011 Leaf had homelink on the rear view mirror. I don't think people are comparing the Model 3 to more expensive cars when they say it should have homelink.
Yeah I agree. I had a 2013 Leaf and now have a 2016 Leaf. Both were the mid-level trim packages (SV) and did NOT have Homelink. If you upgrade to the (SL) package, it includes Homelink. (The current 2019 Leaf is the same way.)

So, I guess I can understand that the 'lower' trim packages for the Model 3 do not include Homelink. Sure, it would be nice, but if you want a little more, you gotta pay a little more.

I want Full-Self Driving, but don't want to pay the extra $5000. I wish a few of the FSD features were part of basic Autopilot. But they're not. So I have to make a choice: pay extra to get what I want, or make a sacrifice and save a little money.
Same choice with Homelink, leather seats, wheels, paint, battery range, sound system, etc...

I just got my new Model 3, and no garage door Opener and no carpets. Tesla didnt even bother to put a temporary paper mat.

Can someone confirm that there really is no garage door opener? That will suck on a $40K car.

Common Tesla, Not even carpets? If they could just stop wasting money giving cars away, maybe we could get carpets.

Any way to add the garage door opener?
We didn't get a garage opener AND memory seats in our TOP Trim level 2016 Audi Q3 S-Line when we bought it new for $40K+

It's not Tesla centric if that's what you are implying.

--ps - they do provide "carpet". The carpeted MATS may not be.

Last edited:
We have a homelink mirror in our Gen 1 Volt.

Chevrolet ditched the Homelink mirror from a bunch of their vehicles several years ago, including the Gen 2 Volt. There were the same kind of complaints. Partly to save money on the increased license fees, and partly because there's a trend to smartphone-based openers, I think.

Having a fob in the car is no big deal. I use one for my Prius.

Reactions: VQTRVA
I use Home link because it’s there. My garage door clickers are small and clip nicely on the visor. Without interference or anything. It’s really no big deal if you have to put up the clicker.

Maybe some day Tesla will be more ala cart. And let you buy “apps” from the App Store. That’s the way to do it. Buy performance, range, upgraded stereo, profiles, traffic, FSD, EAP, Homelink.

And perhaps some options include hardware. Like popping in a subwoofer.

We have a homelink mirror in our Gen 1 Volt.

Chevrolet ditched the Homelink mirror from a bunch of their vehicles several years ago, including the Gen 2 Volt. There were the same kind of complaints. Partly to save money on the increased license fees, and partly because there's a trend to smartphone-based openers, I think.

Having a fob in the car is no big deal. I use one for my Prius.

The thing I hate about my FOBs is they use a non standard battery size. It's not AA or AAA and it's not CRxxxx so it doesn't match the batteries in any of my other remotes or fobs.

A23 or A21, It's buying batteries that sit around going dead even if I'm not using them.

Wire it in the car and the 12v battery in the car that's the size of your torso runs the garage door opener. No custom battery to replace. If you car works, the garage door opener works.