Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

no loaner instead they gave me a camaro!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wraithnot I assume you were at Burlingame? I took my car in on 12/30 for my annual, and was disappointed when they said they sold all their loaners over the weekend!
Ended up with an ATS that unfortunately smelled like smoke. Previously at Menlo, Enterprise gave me an Altima. Never had a P85 loaner :crying:

I work in Point Richmond so I go to the San Rafael service center. They were out of loaners when I took my car in for the 12,500 mile service last year and I got a somewhat beat up Nissan from enterprise. And then I promptly got lost trying to get back on the Richmond bridge since I've become so spoiled for the Nav system:redface:. But I did get a P85 loaner when I was having my drive unit replaced (it developed the 65 mph hum) and I have to say- the P85 was glorious! When I got back to work, I spent about an hour giving a bunch of people the proper P85 0-60 experience on the road near where we work and every single person was amazed. One of our VPs was so impressed that he's looking into how much it will cost to put an outlet in his garage and how much he can get for his "gently used" BMW M3 :)

Did you point out that you needed a larger loaner car to the service place? On our recent service trip we were provided with an Enterprise rental and they knew we needed a family car. They picked us up in a VW Toureg but with three kids in car seats we needed more room so we were "upgraded" to a Yukon XL. If you asked for a larger car and were turned down you should be upset. If you simply took the Camero and got angry about it then you should think about being less passive aggressive. I can imagine many people being interested in driving around a Camero for a day. If nothing else, I hope they will remember your need for a child-friendly car for the next time you need service but, just incase they don't, it wouldn't hurt to mention it to the service person when you schedule the appointment.

I can't speak to the software losing your reservation. I hope that doesn't become an recurring problem with Tesla as folks will get really pissed about it.

In our case, all the local Model S were being used for a large test drive event in the area and so were not available as a loaner.

It would not make too much business sense to turn away a customer when your company is in need of cash.
Can Tesla afford to stock their service centers with enough Model S's for everyone? Most likely not
With the current limit in production there WILL be lack of loaners, just give it time and when Tesla doubles their production I'm certain they will have more loaners!

Although I hope those loaners get sold as quickly as possible- :)

Regarding your comment about getting a loaner that's not as safe as the model S, well roadsters are not as safe- would you refuse to accept it? And it's not like they're giving you a tin can on wheels, the cars still meet safety requirements.

With kids, yes I would turn down the roadster. When you base a purchase on the perks of ownership when buying a $100,000+ car your damn right I want the perks. While I understand the need for cash in a growing company a promise is a promise. You don't bite the hand that is feeding you. The best salesman are us owners of course. I have been telling friends and family about how great this car is and how much better it is to service so if I came home or to work in anything less than I can already hear them laughing. My mom recently had to take her brand new mini cooper into the dealership for minor work. While there they upgraded the firmware they bricked it. It took them over 3 weeks to fix and they kept giving her these crappy loaners with advertising all over it. She needed another 4 door and could not get one. I was literally bragging to her about how I would get a P85. Yeah that would go over well when I pull up in a Camaro!

Another data point: at the San Diego service center, they're suffering from "loaner bankruptcy" (their term), and so it's Enterprise rentals, but Tesla pays for the rentals *and* the gasoline. Something no other car company I've ever dealt with has ever done.
I had two rentals on different days this week because of service issues. Enterprise is a little over-eager in the phone department, calling my house often before and after the service was done. I'd rather not deal with them at all, just deal with Tesla.

It would not make too much business sense to turn away a customer when your company is in need of cash.
Can Tesla afford to stock their service centers with enough Model S's for everyone? Most likely not
With the current limit in production there WILL be lack of loaners, just give it time and when Tesla doubles their production I'm certain they will have more loaners!

This would make sense for a regular car company. As Yotedown mentioned, Tesla specifically announced their "revolutionary" loaner program where you would get a better car than you dropped off! Then they proceeded to sell all these "loaner" cars to just anybody off the street as fast as they got them, in order to please their shareholders. Talk about self-induced FAIL. The loyal customers who bought in to this loaner program were then left blowing in the wind, burning fossil fuels in defiance of the company mission.

This would make sense for a regular car company. As Yotedown mentioned, Tesla specifically announced their "revolutionary" loaner program where you would get a better car than you dropped off! Then they proceeded to sell all these "loaner" cars to just anybody off the street as fast as they got them, in order to please their shareholders. Talk about self-induced FAIL. The loyal customers who bought in to this loaner program were then left blowing in the wind, burning fossil fuels in defiance of the company mission.
I agree that they need more loaners, what im saying is they cant turn down a sale just to save the car for someone to use one day, yes i know they said they would... you gotta give it time, once they double their production they will have more room to build loaners!
Im sure they are doing their best, with the amount of orders they are receiving it may be difficult to build more loaners when they have orders to fill.

They take the time to build loaners, people with reservations wont be happy. They take the time to build ordered vehicles, owners arent happy.

They are production constrained at the moment, and they need to make a decision between making the current owners happy or selling more vehicles and growing.

I dont own any stock in the company (wish i bought some at $30) but I choose the growth option.

I agree that they need more loaners, what im saying is they cant turn down a sale just to save the car for someone to use one day, yes i know they said they would... you gotta give it time, once they double their production they will have more room to build loaners!
Im sure they are doing their best, with the amount of orders they are receiving it may be difficult to build more loaners when they have orders to fill.

They take the time to build loaners, people with reservations wont be happy. They take the time to build ordered vehicles, owners arent happy.

They are production constrained at the moment, and they need to make a decision between making the current owners happy or selling more vehicles and growing.

I dont own any stock in the company (wish i bought some at $30) but I choose the growth option.

I got a Prius today. Could have been worse, but I was glad to be back in my S at the end of the day. Kind of disappointing they're not keeping this promise.

If everyone continues to take these cars I would not doubt it stays that way long term. If offered anything less than promised then you must let them know this is not acceptable. Prius, really? I would have been so pissed!

I had to remind them twice that I had requested valet service for today's appointment when they called and reminded me to drop my car off (and a loaner/rental). They showed up this morning, but no rental. Now the poor valet guy is waiting around waiting for Enterprise. It's like they don't write this stuff down. WHY IS THIS SO HARD.

If everyone continues to take these cars I would not doubt it stays that way long term. If offered anything less than promised then you must let them know this is not acceptable. Prius, really? I would have been so pissed!
Well, the choice was walk the 20 miles to work or a Prius. Not a tough decision. And I suppose technically they told Enterprise I could have any car I wanted, but they had reserved the Prius. I'd never driven one, so gave it a whirl. Sunnyvale service doesn't have a loaner fleet yet.

My car is in for it's first annual service today. They brought me a brand new red S60 with 448km on the odo. Now to take it for a spin to make comparisons to my P85. :)

What is the VIN on the car? I am curious about how quickly they are backfilling the loaners that they sold.
I have an appointment tomorrow and there are no loaners at the facility at all. Apparently they are selling the loaners at a price that is too low.

...Apparently they are selling the loaners at a price that is too low.

I wouldn't call it too low. They basically sell the cars as built with a $.25 per mile reduction (if I remember correctly). So a loaner with 1000 miles on it will only get a $250 reduction on a $80,000-$120,000 car... It was more important for people to buy the loaners before December 31st, 2013 so that they can get the Federal Credit of $7,500 applied to the tax return due on 4/15/2014... I surmise that the same inventory issues with loaners will re-occur as we get closer to December 2014.