TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No monetary referral credit for Model S purchase in Ohio

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by electrish, Aug 28, 2015.

1. electrish

electrish I Sing the Body Electric

I received the following email this afternoon, basically stating that it's against Ohio law to provide a monetary credit for a referral of a car purchase and therefore Tesla will credit the entire amount to the buyer:

crm_wordmark_225x30.png
    August 28, 2015

Various states have laws that were enacted to prevent rogue car salespeople. You can imagine an era when legislators were concerned about stereotypical “car salesmen” trying to sell cars without a license. At Tesla, we sell our cars differently. We don’t use traditional car dealers let alone rogue salespeople. However, our Referral Program has struck a chord with Ohio regulators, who have claimed that aspects of it do not comply with this type of law.

Our Referral Program was never designed to make you a salesperson. Nevertheless, due to the position taken by Ohio regulators, we are making one change to our Referral Program for our customers in Ohio. Now, when someone buys a new Model S through your referral link, the $1,000 credit that you were to receive in your Tesla account will instead go to the person receiving the referral. That person will now get $2,000 (instead of $1,000) off the purchase price. The program otherwise remains as described in Elon’s email to you.

Our apologies for this change.

The Tesla Team

2. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

Welcome to the club

3. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

So I would want someone from Ohio to share with me their link even though I'm a California buyer right? That'd save me $2k versus $1k. Has anyone determined if the credit applies to inventory vehicles? I know it would not apply to CPO.

4. electrish

Yes, as a buyer it seems to make the most sense to get a referral from Ohio or Virginia, however, it only seems to apply to new vehicles, not inventory cars.

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

I read yesterday that California might consider the referral credit illegal next.

6. CPD2601

CPD2601 Member

Does anyone on here from Virginia or Ohio have a referral link they would like to share with me

7. brkaus

brkaus Member

If I purchase, I'm going to use a local referrer even if I get less $$. I have lots of questions and would even like a test fit in the garage (difficult driveway turn). They deserve their part of the credit.

8. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

9. electrish

Hard to figure out where "local" is for you, since you didn't add your location.
    I'm in Cincinnati, if you have any questions.