Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more 90 Battery, 100 price cut coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe only if they can't sell their cars. Otherwise like others have said no. I think the 60/75 discount was so they can sell more cars. But if they don't have sales, there is not much to move people except giving more or lowering price. As for giving more, supercharging is already free with referrals so there is not much more they can give free.

Maybe only if they can't sell their cars. Otherwise like others have said no. I think the 60/75 discount was so they can sell more cars. But if they don't have sales, there is not much to move people except giving more or lowering price. As for giving more, supercharging is already free with referrals so there is not much more they can give free.
75 was not discounted to sell more cars. Tesla could have kept on selling the 60 to have an entry point at lower price. 75 was discounted because 60 was removed from the lineup. With 90 getting removed from the lineup, it would make sense the pricing of 100 would get adjusted down to compensate. There is no reason to keep both 90 and 100 in the lineup. It's a natural progression - when 100 battery first showed up, it was P100D only - so high premium price due to low availability. As 100KWh battery production ramped up, price of the 100 went down and it was offered at smaller premium. Once production is fully ramped up, 100 can be priced without premium at all, and therefore 90 can be discontinued. To clarify, the production cost may not be going down as fast with volume. It may be that 100 costed as much as 90 to produce from the start, it was just more scarce at first (low production capability). It's the price premium that goes down with availability (think rare items going on ebay for over MSRP at first when availability is low - as availability ramps up, nobody cares to pay over MSRP, and eventually prices drop under original MSRP).

Last edited:
I haven't taken delivery of my 100D yet so personally I hope there's a price drop. But I think it is different than the 60/75 scenario. The 60/75 were identical hardware which meant it was exactly the same cost to produce. The 90/100 battery packs are different. That's not to say there isn't room for Tesla to drop the price but I think it would have to come at a lower profit margin. If Tesla believes they can make up the difference with more volume then I think they would be motivated to drop the price.

Ultimately I believe the 60/75 was a failed experiment. They wanted a lower entry point to convert model 3 buyers. But I'll bet they estimated a larger percent of the folks would ultimately pay for the $7-9k upgrade. When that didn't happen and since it was a sunk cost, they figured better to get $2k than nothing. I've seen folks here talk about software limited model 3 packs but I doubt it. I don't think Tesla will do that again.

That said, I had a hard time deciding between the X 75D and X 100D. Everyone says the $ / kWH is the best in the 100D but that's not the right calculation. That assumes 100% of the cost of the car is the battery. If you consider the cost to get 25 more kWH is $17K, it is the worst deal and likely the highest profit margin for Tesla.

S60 - S75 ($2,000 / 15 kWH = $133 / kWH)
X60 - X75 ($4,500 / 15 kWH = $300 / kWH)
even the original upgrade @ $9,000 / 15 kWH = $600 / kWH

whereas the X75 - X100 ($17,000 / 25 kWH = $680 kWH

So why did I choose it anyway? I decided sometimes I can't be just a slave to the math. Plus it seems like the vast majority of X buyers on this forum are buy 100D's. Peer pressure? Also, I already have an S 75D. We will take the X on road trips and it just seems wrong to buy the road trip car with less range than the non road trip car.

So maybe the price will drop. Maybe I should pay $500 and change it back to a 75D... ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vern Padgett
For those who think tesla will pass the savings on to the consumer... I applaud them for believing so and living in their fantasy world. But I am a realist. If they can sell the cars at the current price there is 0 incentive for them to lower price even if the get rid of the 90s as an option and streamline production. Tsla is a for profit company not a nonprofit. If they stop selling the 100s at current price due to low demand then it warrants a price drop.

So lets summarize:
High sales ---> NO PRICE DROP

Low sales ---> potential price drop.

Reactions: OBX John and croman
They massively increased the price of the 100D relative to other models recently. The 100 packs are better tech and the difference in energy is actually 72.6kwh vs 102kwh. Almost 30kwh.

Also it is common to have a big premium on the largest item. Biggest memory modules are always more expensive per unit because it's tougher to get the larger size. Ex. RAM or flash memory modules, etc.

Why not increase the price of the 100 and the 75 to move them out of Model3 top pricing range? Model 3 with 75kwh battery will have more range than the S75, though.....Either way, raising prices would reinforce that S is a premium product as to the 3

If they discontinue the 90, then the 75 is probably on its way out, too, though it may be a few months yet before it gets replaced by a ~85 built with fourteen '100' modules.

I can't imagine that they'll keep both types of modules under manufacture indefinitely - certainly that's never been a Tesla pattern before.

Of course, we also have the 2170 conversion waiting in the wings, which might shake things up more...

• Informative
I haven't taken delivery of my 100D yet so personally I hope there's a price drop. But I think it is different than the 60/75 scenario. The 60/75 were identical hardware which meant it was exactly the same cost to produce. The 90/100 battery packs are different. That's not to say there isn't room for Tesla to drop the price but I think it would have to come at a lower profit margin. If Tesla believes they can make up the difference with more volume then I think they would be motivated to drop the price.

Ultimately I believe the 60/75 was a failed experiment. They wanted a lower entry point to convert model 3 buyers. But I'll bet they estimated a larger percent of the folks would ultimately pay for the $7-9k upgrade. When that didn't happen and since it was a sunk cost, they figured better to get $2k than nothing. I've seen folks here talk about software limited model 3 packs but I doubt it. I don't think Tesla will do that again.

That said, I had a hard time deciding between the X 75D and X 100D. Everyone says the $ / kWH is the best in the 100D but that's not the right calculation. That assumes 100% of the cost of the car is the battery. If you consider the cost to get 25 more kWH is $17K, it is the worst deal and likely the highest profit margin for Tesla.

S60 - S75 ($2,000 / 15 kWH = $133 / kWH)
X60 - X75 ($4,500 / 15 kWH = $300 / kWH)
even the original upgrade @ $9,000 / 15 kWH = $600 / kWH

whereas the X75 - X100 ($17,000 / 25 kWH = $680 kWH

So why did I choose it anyway? I decided sometimes I can't be just a slave to the math. Plus it seems like the vast majority of X buyers on this forum are buy 100D's. Peer pressure? Also, I already have an S 75D. We will take the X on road trips and it just seems wrong to buy the road trip car with less range than the non road trip car.

So maybe the price will drop. Maybe I should pay $500 and change it back to a 75D... ugh.

I dont think they will reduce the price anytime soon as it will cause a snowball effect... I have a 90 on order,, if they lowered the price of the 100 then I would cancel my 90.... If they reduce the price it will be in 3 months once all of the 90's have been delivered.

I am just hoping when it's time to replace my X90D (~2 years), I will be able to drive to SF on one charge with my X. Is that notion to far fetched or would a 400+ mile range be feasible?
feasible? of course! I remember when a 10 meg hard drive was the limits on storage in a PC. however it might not happen in the time frame you are hoping for.

I hate to be the one to tell you this but in the past tesla has not passed through any prices reductions to orders already being processed after announcing upgrades or price changes.

If you're talking about cars already delivered, I completely agree with you. But if you're talking about orders that have been confirmed but not yet delivered then can you cite examples? I didn't assume this without doing my research. There have been several threads on this topic from the last price drop. Here's one example, Price drop on already ordered 75D? | Tesla

If the price drop is greater than the deposit, it would only make sense for Tesla to make the adjustment rather than having people cancel.

Last edited: