Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"No Reseller" clause for Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. They also have a sales agreement for tacos:

Is there anything they *don't* sell?
Apparently, they don't sell CyberBeer anymore.

Slight tangent....bought CyberBeer with the intent of enjoying it. Plan is to drink the beer in celebration of our Cybertruck delivery. Could sell the set for double and make money. Now, I'll drink the beer and break even. ;)

Slight tangent....bought CyberBeer with the intent of enjoying it. Plan is to drink the beer in celebration of our Cybertruck delivery. Could sell the set for double and make money. Now, I'll drink the beer and break even.

How much was the CyberBeer? I hate to burst your bubble (oh, who am I kidding?), but you didn't read the sales agreement of your CyberBeer purchase:

"Reselling of CyberBeer strictly prohibited while ICE vehicles still remain on the road. Top 10% of each bottle must be poured on the ground for my homies."

• Funny
Reactions: Black306
If we want a more capitalist system of resolving supply/demand issues, Tesla could have sold the first 10k Cybertruck for a much higher price. Then the next 200k, then the next 500k, until the demand flattens out.
Yep, this does make sense and at least rewards the supplier.

What i mean by scalpers adding value is let's say I need a limited xmas present for my kid and they are all sold out. But I am willing to pay 4X for it...so I go on ebay and although I have to pay through the nose for the gift now at least I can get it. So what scalpers can do is remove the pure lottery system of purchasing something and make it so it absolutely is available--as long as you're willing to pay. Without the ability to resale you could be SOL regardless of motivation to purchase.

• Helpful
Reactions: father_of_6
Yep, this does make sense and at least rewards the supplier.

What i mean by scalpers adding value is let's say I need a limited xmas present for my kid and they are all sold out. But I am willing to pay 4X for it...so I go on ebay and although I have to pay through the nose for the gift now at least I can get it. So what scalpers can do is remove the pure lottery system of purchasing something and make it so it absolutely is available--as long as you're willing to pay. Without the ability to resale you could be SOL regardless of motivation to purchase.
That isnt adding any value, as its likely the very reason "you cant find it" is because a bunch of people who had no intention to actually use it but speculated it would be popular, bought them to hold it hostage for people like you who would pay through the nose for it.

Thats parasitic, not adding value (but of course people who do this see it as "making things available", or "getting rewarded for my time" or "I could be wrong on my speculation, why cant I make a bunch of money on this?")

For every person who has a legit reason they "need to sell" this thing they just bought, there are probably 3-4 more than bought it "just because i might make some caaashhhh"

(lets say that everyone in this thread has a legit reason that wasnt "its cheap for me to place an order for this thing, I might make money on it, let me click the button and order one in the hopes I can sell it for big cash later", im not trying to start an argument)

Pokemon cards, playstation 5s / xbox series x, Shoes, video cards, etc etc. Scalpers are not adding any value.

Last edited:
How much was the CyberBeer? I hate to burst your bubble (oh, who am I kidding?), but you didn't read the sales agreement of your CyberBeer purchase:

"Reselling of CyberBeer strictly prohibited while ICE vehicles still remain on the road. Top 10% of each bottle must be poured on the ground for my homies."
$150

IMG_6547.jpeg

• Informative
I realize that the wording has been removed, but if it is re-instated, I don't see any reason why a purchaser couldn't lease the CT to a potential buyer with an agreement to purchase the CT at the end of the 1 year lease? (Think long-term Turo or something..)

Reactions: zoomer0056
I realize that the wording has been removed, but if it is re-instated, I don't see any reason why a purchaser couldn't lease the CT to a potential buyer with an agreement to purchase the CT at the end of the 1 year lease? (Think long-term Turo or something..)
I don't think you would be able to transfer the car to them on their account. You would either have to add them as a driver and still have control of the car or give them the account.

New speculation: I bet a LOT of reservations were being cancelled, so they decided it better to have scalpers than a big reduction in orders.
I think if the price is too high or the range is too low, we'll see a lot more cancellations.

They will still sell all that they can make for the next 2+ years as they will likely make >100k next year per Elon and less than 250k in 2025. I've already seen people on social media worrying that if the initial price is high due to demand that Tesla will tank the price in a year or two like they recently did with the Model S/X.

Reactions: outdoors
What's more likely is that there wont be a person that'll pay me significantly above my total cost. I wouldn't sell for only $10k-20k more; it would have to be more like $50k+.

Interesting. URL suggests it's for a Model 3. Change "model=m3" to "model=cybertruck" in the URL and you get this...

Still missing the 1-year/$50k clause though.
Interesting. There's a "No Resellers" clause that states that Tesla and its affiliates sell to end-users, only. If they see that somebody's in the "We buy low, we sell high" class they reserve the right to cancel the order. With a refund.

No mention of a penalty payment; but maybe wiser heads prevailed; there may be something in the UCC that prevents the exclusion of scalper-like types.

In any case: A true-blue scalper who does the pre-order with that clause in there, written in high-school English, won't have much of a leg to stand on when Tesla comes calling. And, from another perspective: Even if they did remove that $50k penalty clause, it was out there long enough to put a shot across the bow of the, "We can order Brittany Spears tickets for this much, then sell them for 2X as much, no problemo!" types. In fact, wouldn't surprise me that a large number of scalpers bailed when that clause went up.. and now, if they want to get back in the game, they're at the End of the Line.

Fun.

• Funny
Reactions: brainhouston
I think if the price is too high or the range is too low, we'll see a lot more cancellations.

They will still sell all that they can make for the next 2+ years as they will likely make >100k next year per Elon and less than 250k in 2025. I've already seen people on social media worrying that if the initial price is high due to demand that Tesla will tank the price in a year or two like they recently did with the Model S/X.
in 2 yrs they'll either increase range or lower prices n demand will continue...

in 2 yrs they'll either increase range or lower prices n demand will continue...

And by then they'll have the panel gaps, suspension issues, and giant wiper problems sorted out - *FURTHER* increasing demand. LOL.

I hope that didn't come across too harsh. I like Tesla and want them to succeed. The CyberTruck is a bit too flashy and bold for my tastes, but I hope it's another home run.

At first I didn't like the idea (of the 1yr lockdown on resales), but scalpers scalp - just look at what happened with Nvidia RTX4090 cards. No one had them but the people selling them for 2x their price. I don't know if a resale prohibition would hold up in court, but Tesla could have just said we're leasing them only - no sales.

And my cyberbeer just arrived! Totally forgot I had bought it. Wish the steins were clear, but I also wish the CT wasn't so ugly, but whatcha gonna do?

I don't know if a resale prohibition would hold up in court,

Im certainly not a lawyer, nor am I pretending to be one. With that out of the way, there is fairly recent precedent of this, in Ford Vs John Cena. Note that at the end, Ford and John Cena (someone with money, and presumably access to paid lawyers) choose to settle, and the settlement Agreement for John Cena selling his Ford vehicle after signing an agreement saying he would not do that, was for HIM (John Cena) to give an undisclosed amount of money to Ford, and for Ford to donate that money to charity.

==================================

According to a statement from attorneys for professional wrestler John Cena that was sent to the Jalopnik website, Cena and the Ford Motor Company have settled their legal feud regarding Cena’s purchase and resale of a Ford GT. Cena will pay Ford an unspecified amount of money, which Ford reportedly will donate to an as yet unnamed charity.
===================================

That seems to put to bed the idea that "no one does this" and or "its not legal". It would depend on whatever the language is, if its enacted, but all sorts of manufactures do this for limited edition vehicles. The difference here is that the cybertruck isnt ment to be a limited edition vehicle, just one that may be hard to get due to lack of production vs sales in the beginning.

shrug.

At first I didn't like the idea (of the 1yr lockdown on resales), but scalpers scalp - just look at what happened with Nvidia RTX4090 cards. No one had them but the people selling them for 2x their price. I don't know if a resale prohibition would hold up in court, but Tesla could have just said we're leasing them only - no sales.
Here's a video from an actual lawyer that says it totally legal. The constitution protects the right to set a contract: