Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No stamp duty and free rego in South Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg

I see what you did there.. Rego is $250 in VIC. But TAC charge is another $457.60 for me and this is not optional and collected with the rego!!
I don't know what the off peak electricity cost is in SA (the media keeps talking about SA's high electricity pricing), but it would be interesting to do a comparison of total cost of ownership/running in each state, over say a 4 year period and assuming a couple of usage and charging scenarios. That would put rego and TAC/Greenslip/stamp duty etc costs into full view alongside energy and help model 3 and mass market purchasers of future EVs. I couldn't quickly see a thread on this topic, but may not have looked far enough.

I don't know what the off peak electricity cost is in SA (the media keeps talking about SA's high electricity pricing), but it would be interesting to do a comparison of total cost of ownership/running in each state, over say a 4 year period and assuming a couple of usage and charging scenarios. That would put rego and TAC/Greenslip/stamp duty etc costs into full view alongside energy and help model 3 and mass market purchasers of future EVs. I couldn't quickly see a thread on this topic, but may not have looked far enough.
Cheaper to drive a Camry :)
Buying a Tesla to save money is a long way off.
Even the 3 at probably $60,000 is a helluva lot more than a Golf.
I’d still rather have the 3, but it wouldn’t be to save money.

Cheaper to drive a Camry :)
Buying a Tesla to save money is a long way off.
Even the 3 at probably $60,000 is a helluva lot more than a Golf.
Understood. But I'm not a Camry buyer, and Volkswagen have forfeited the right to be considered for our garage now. For the silver lining I'm saving money compared with the other Teslas that are not in my price bracket...but there's no doubting there's plenty more affordable ways to get around.

I see what you did there.. Rego is $250 in VIC. But TAC charge is another $457.60 for me and this is not optional and collected with the rego!!

Yes, but CTP is compulsory in states where its not collected with the registration payment. So the TAC is a relative bargain compared to NSW where the CTP can be based on age, experience, accidents etc. I have seen quotes over $1000. Give me the Vic system.

Understood. But I'm not a Camry buyer, and Volkswagen have forfeited the right to be considered for our garage now. For the silver lining I'm saving money compared with the other Teslas that are not in my price bracket...but there's no doubting there's plenty more affordable ways to get around.
Hi, Yes, wasn't suggesting it was to save money, just to get a real world comparison - as there are lies and damn lies in this space long before we get valid statistics.

It would also be interesting to see an end-to-end on the environmental data too - one politician recently compared an MX to a Corolla to say it was no greener! Of course, getting our 4 kids (inc 3 teenagers) into a Corolla wouldnt be a challenge at all, now would it .

Compared to the Volvo XC90 our MX replaced (a valid comparison) the MX is anywhere between half the CO2 and and infinitely less (infinitely if entirely solar sourced, but still half the CO2 even if powered via brown coal in Vic given the MX uses 1/6th the energy courtestly of regen braking, etc). What I am not close to is the construction differences: cobalt/lithium vs engine alloys, engine parts and oil production etc over a vehicle's lifetime. There are always puts and takes...

Hi, Yes, wasn't suggesting it was to save money, just to get a real world comparison - as there are lies and damn lies in this space long before we get valid statistics.

It would also be interesting to see an end-to-end on the environmental data too - one politician recently compared an MX to a Corolla to say it was no greener! Of course, getting our 4 kids (inc 3 teenagers) into a Corolla wouldnt be a challenge at all, now would it .

Compared to the Volvo XC90 our MX replaced (a valid comparison) the MX is anywhere between half the CO2 and and infinitely less (infinitely if entirely solar sourced, but still half the CO2 even if powered via brown coal in Vic given the MX uses 1/6th the energy courtestly of regen braking, etc). What I am not close to is the construction differences: cobalt/lithium vs engine alloys, engine parts and oil production etc over a vehicle's lifetime. There are always puts and takes...

Even using the worst case of 100% charging from Brown coal ( which is no longer possible in Vic) your MX would be better off over a full lifecycle before 140k, this includes building, fueling and scrapping both an EV and ICE, as cleaner energy is used to produce the materials and vehicles the full lifecycle figure favours the MX even more, add in solar charging and your crushing the ICE. Any politician that is dishonest enough to compare a Tesla model X or S to a Corolla is hanging on desperately to his dream of returning to the 1950s.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark E and Oz Will