Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No supercharging in Bakersfield CA?

JetFalcon

Dec 31, 2018
Orange County CA
So had to go to Bakersfield CA to get the COVID 19 shot at CVS. I live in Lake Forest CA / Orange County. My parents couldn't book anything nearby and the only option was Bakersfield. Probably because its out in the middle of nowhere and a little easier to get an appointment.

But what I noticed was there was only one supercharger on the way to Bakersfield, but no supercharging stations in Bakersfield CA. It's in Tejon Ranch, which seems strategically placed as your "last chance" to charge up before going into Bakersfield. Why is there no supercharging in Bakersfield, it's in the middle of nowhere but it not a tiny town. Has anyone ever traveled to Bakersfield as a destination or pass by it? I assumed a place like Bakersfield would be a good place to put a supercharging for those doing road trips to other major CA cities like Sacramento or going to National Parks like Yosemite.

Phoenix AZ was the only city I went to that seemed to be less Tesla friendly, only 3 superchargers in the entire city. I stayed in downtown Phoenix, and before I ventured out east into Mesa AZ, I had to be sure I charged up near downtown because there were no supercharging in Mesa at all, so I had to be absolutely sure I had enough for a round trip back to the hotel.

Drove my parent's Mercedes S-class to Bakersfield CA which is about a 160 mile each way trip, so didn't experiment with the Tesla. But I still checked in the Tesla GPS to see how it plans the route, and that's when I realized there was no supercharging in Bakersfield. So it seems like I would have to charge at Tejon Ranch, which is like 30-40 minutes outside Bakersfield, and be absolutely sure I can make it back after entering Bakersfield CA, since that was final destination and headed back home directly. I assumed Teslas were normal enough now because I see them everywhere in Orange County, LA, San Diego. I didn't see many Teslas in Bakersfield CA, more older beater cars than Teslas.

Checking the Supercharger map, it seems supercharging is easier travelling on I-5, but Bakersfield is on the CA-99. And the CA-99 goes through other middle of nowhere NorCal cities like Modesto, Fresno, Bakersfield. And there is only like 2 supercharging you can count on. Seems options are slimmer if you travel along inland cities of CA that aren't a close drive to the beach, and off an interstate.

So far the only places I have to supercharge leaving from Lake Forest CA is going to Santa Barbara round trip, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and San Diego.

Last edited:

Big Dog

Mar 7, 2016
Irvine, CA
There are two popular superchargers on I-5: Buttonwillow and Bakersfield. But both are definitely west of town. Yes, Tejon Ranch is it for those traveling north on the 99. It looks like Tesla plans to add a charger at a downtown Target parking lot at the end of this year.

Dave EV

Jun 23, 2009
San Diego

Attachments

• 2021-03-21_22-31.png
    2021-03-21_22-31.png
    685.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2021-03-21_22-32.png
    2021-03-21_22-32.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 12

JetFalcon

Dec 31, 2018
Orange County CA
1. A Better Routeplanner is your friend. Bakersfield is an easy trip from Orange county, just stop for a bit in each direction in Tejon Ranch.
2. Tesla has a Supercharger for Bakersfield in the works - ETA Q3 2021.

See attached screenshots.

Does Better RoutePlanner show recommended charging time for the case to just reach your destination, or does it consider the roundtrip part too, like leaving Bakersfield?

My Tesla GPS estimated 11% charge remaining from Lake Forest to Bakersfield, car had 80% charge. Yeah, I could make it to Bakersfield without supercharging, but I'll probably be screwed on the way back. Just wondering how people prepare for these kinds of inperfect situations where they must drive their Tesla to an area less friendly for EV / Tesla drivers.

Fernand

Mar 22, 2019
Northern california
I drove through Bakersfield to/from Las Vegas, and there were 2 Superchargers, one by the CHP on the West exit from town.
Easy Trip Food Store 29541 Stockdale Hwy Bakersfield, CA 93314. The next one North was a few miles up on Highway 5.
A new Supercharger in downtown Bakersfield is planned to open later this year.

I think Model 3s still comes with a J1772 adapter you can use at a lot of non-Tesla charging stations.
For faster charging there's a Chademo adapter you can buy.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Pied

Jul 14, 2018
Bay Area, CA
Does Better RoutePlanner show recommended charging time for the case to just reach your destination, or does it consider the roundtrip part too, like leaving Bakersfield?

My Tesla GPS estimated 11% charge remaining from Lake Forest to Bakersfield, car had 80% charge. Yeah, I could make it to Bakersfield without supercharging, but I'll probably be screwed on the way back. Just wondering how people prepare for these kinds of inperfect situations where they must drive their Tesla to an area less friendly for EV / Tesla drivers.

What? Stop at Tejon Ranch and charge for 10-15mins. You'll have enough to go to bakersfield and back to Tejon Ranch to charge before going back home.

It's just a little more planning.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Lots of places that are higher priority than Bakersfield - in my opinion. First need to cover more sports needed for travel and having the one nearby covers that area reasonably well.

You can put your complete trip into ABRP so it will consider anything you tell it to consider. It doesn't have to be round trip either, you can add lots of waypoints.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
Yeah, I could make it to Bakersfield without supercharging, but I'll probably be screwed on the way back. Just wondering how people prepare for these kinds of inperfect situations where they must drive their Tesla to an area less friendly for EV / Tesla drivers.
I'm about to blow a gasket at the concept of this thread, considering Bakersfield, CA as some EV desert without charging options. It has freaking THREE Superchargers just on the West side of town! And it has lots of charging stations that don't happen to be Tesla brand (TM) station IN town!

Lots of places that are higher priority than Bakersfield - in my opinion. First need to cover more sports needed for travel and having the one nearby covers that area reasonably well.
Yeah, exactly. We still have problematic routes that don't have much for a few hundred miles.

Reactions: jjrandorin

JetFalcon

Dec 31, 2018
Orange County CA
Yeah, exactly. We still have problematic routes that don't have much for a few hundred miles.

They should put more on that CA99 freeway. At least for people doing touristy things, it's likely the road you take to access national parks like Yosemite from the SoCal area. I haven't been to a CA national park in a while, can casual level Tesla owners handle going to Yosemite and be able to charge?

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
I haven't been to a CA national park in a while, can casual level Tesla owners handle going to Yosemite and be able to charge?
That has been discussed some. Here ya go

Reactions: JetFalcon

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC