TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Noises While Charging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by MDMGSO47, Jun 20, 2016.

1. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

Our S70 has started making noises while charging. Sometimes it sounds like a fan noise in the front of the car. Once when the inside of the garage was warm (around 90 degrees), the interior air conditioner was actually running although it had not been turned on with the remote app. I know the car regulates the battery temperature while charging, but running the interior air conditioner seems a bit strange to me. Is my car Christine's (out of the Stephen King novel) relative? Come to think of it, that is entirely possible since it has auto pilot, self parking and summons? :eek::oops:

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Do you have "smart" preconditioning on?

Hint: it's not very smart.

3. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

That is normal. The car does use the actual air conditioner to cool the battery pack coolant liquid.

4. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

Nope.

5. Ormond

Ormond Member

My X (new owner) is running a fan while charging, so I'm comforted by this topic.

6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

It's normal. The battery adjusts its temperature during charging, you'll hear the occasional fan noise and liquid gurgles.
    At the end of a long supercharge the fan can get quite loud.

7. ColdRauv

ColdRauv Member