Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-owner First Production window just got pushed back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just going to assume my current Dec-Feb window out here in mountain time will shift to March-May as well, to stave off any(more) inevitable disappointment. Hopefully, my broken shoulder requiring me to double up on opioids will have healed enough to not make everyday a living hell by then (assuming the opiates don't get me first). That would make May doubly sweet.

Reactions: Tonymil
I'm just going to assume my current Dec-Feb window out here in mountain time will shift to March-May as well, to stave off any(more) inevitable disappointment. Hopefully, my broken shoulder requiring me to double up on opioids will have healed enough to not make everyday a living hell by then (assuming the opiates don't get me first). That would make May doubly sweet.

Best wishes for your recovery. Be careful and be brave to seek help if you need it.

I don’t get why they don’t just move everyone back, based on their best knowledge of the ramp up today.

Probably to avoid bad publicity, but it makes planning a lot harder. My (European) estimate is still late 18, but I am not Norwegian, so that probably won’t happen.

The only benefit of waiting is getting to know more about the AWD, performance and base model.

Also, what exactly would count as early 2018? Is May still early? Or April? Any guess when the base version will be realeased?

Reactions: Tonymil
I wonder how far away we are from seeing a meaningful number of US reservations being canceled. Personally, I started out as a huge fan of Tesla cars who saw an opportunity to grab one for the price of a Civic ($35k + full tax credit). Almost 2 years after waiting in line to reserve a sight unseen car, I’m less enthusiastic about the 3 than ever - largely because its becoming impossible to predict when the car may become available and we need a new car soon - and have even got to spend a few hours with one. The 3 is cool, but Elon can’t expect the mass market to wait forever.

I wonder how far away we are from seeing a meaningful number of US reservations being canceled. Personally, I started out as a huge fan of Tesla cars who saw an opportunity to grab one for the price of a Civic ($35k + full tax credit). Almost 2 years after waiting in line to reserve a sight unseen car, I’m less enthusiastic about the 3 than ever - largely because its becoming impossible to predict when the car may become available and we need a new car soon - and have even got to spend a few hours with one. The 3 is cool, but Elon can’t expect the mass market to wait forever.

at the same time, there are lots of non tesla fans who are only just now discovering and doing research on the Model 3 because of all the news its been generating lately, and they are putting down reservations. I actually think that new reservations are outnumbering attritions right now.

To Give you guys a little hope: I'm an S owner that reserved maybe a year ago. I'm confident I was quite late in the owner queue. I got my invitation to configure today. On the downside, I live in the bay area in case that's still a factor.
Not sure CA residency matters as much at this point. It'll save time in transport from factory but they have logistics rolling through all [lower continental] US now.

That is good news, meaning it seems likely that it'll start sending invites to the first of the non-owners by end of the month.

Reactions: Tazman
I don't think the Tesla estimate is even close in my case.

Non-owner, Mountain Time, reserved 12/2/16

Teslas shows:
First Production - Apr - Jun 2018
Standard Battery - Mid 2018
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive - Nov 2018 - Jan 2019

@Troy spreadsheet shows First Production Dec 2018 - This sounds much more accurate to me.

Reactions: C141medic
I don’t get why they don’t just move everyone back, based on their best knowledge of the ramp up today.

Because Tesla doesn't just want to update the estimates like that without also providing some kind of explanation. They will go in depth about their current Model 3 production status during their quarterly conference call tomorrow. It's not in their best interest to just change the estimates and not giving investors and reservation holders reasons why they had to. This also gives them an opportunity to try and put the best positive spin they can (and let Elon try to deploy his reality distortion field) on production ramp delays.

Reactions: C141medic and R.S
Non-owner, EST, early lineup in-store. My estimate has been Dec'17-Feb'18 since the did the initial shift back (originally Nov'17-Jan'18).

I did not get moved today.

So I suspect that means if you were close enough to the front of the line as a non-owner, you're still in the running for an invite in the next week or two. That said, I'm still not expecting my car until March or even April, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Reactions: Dave B
Non-owner, EST, early lineup in-store. My estimate has been Dec'17-Feb'18 since the did the initial shift back (originally Nov'17-Jan'18).

I did not get moved today.

So I suspect that means if you were close enough to the front of the line as a non-owner, you're still in the running for an invite in the next week or two. That said, I'm still not expecting my car until March or even April, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

I love the way you think, but it seems to be me Tesla simply bumped anyone with an impossible range (in this case, those in the Nov-Jan frame). Our turn will come next month. Or maybe tomorrow, once they reveal where they are with the production ramp.

I don't think the Tesla estimate is even close in my case.

Non-owner, Mountain Time, reserved 12/2/16

Teslas shows:
First Production - Apr - Jun 2018
Standard Battery - Mid 2018
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive - Nov 2018 - Jan 2019

@Troy spreadsheet shows First Production Dec 2018 - This sounds much more accurate to me.

LOL!

That's how bad things are....

Mine shows the same estimate dates and I am a non-owner / Eastern Time / Reserved 4/28/16....

As long as the ramp continues to accelerate, those further away in the queue are probably in good shape.

Hahahaha, are you kidding? People have been using that logic since July. Remember that exponential production curve Tesla hyped.

This is ridiculous, what good is a schedule if you just keep pushing it tot he right? I guess if the cultist customer base you have developed gives you a pass at the end of the day and says "See, right on schedule" after you bumped it 5 times then who cares?