Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-owners, did you get invite to configure?

Non-owner, received invite to configure?

• Yes

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 225 90.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously? 4 now? People, here is the criteria for marking yes:
-Not an employee of Tesla or the family member or acquaintance of a Tesla employee who is using the priority of said employee.
-Not a current nor a former owner of a Tesla vehicle.
-Not someone who the system thinks should have priority based on the reservation of any non-Model 3 Tesla.
-Not someone who purchased, received or borrowed a reservation from anyone covered by the above.

We are honestly just interested in that first configuration by a member of the masses who finally has the opportunity to experience greatness (sans any shenanigans). Is that so hard or are we just getting trolled? If so, not cool y’all. Not cool.

Here is a few more data points from the spreadsheet

Model 3 Invites - Overview.jpg

Attachments

• Model 3 Invites - Overview.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 59
Isn’t that expensive? They must have lost their deposit, right?

He can chime in here if he feels like discussing it. From me you're just getting it second hand, so I'm not the best source of details. He appeared to be a non-owner because of his profile, but once he mentioned that he was configuring he had to admit that he had more status than that, and he explained why his status didn't reflect that. From what I understood, he started a CPO transaction, never finished it, and I *think* got his deposit back. That's all I know.

Look, when real non-owners get invited there will be a couple dozen threads about it. Until that time looking at this poll isn't going to tell you anything. I always laugh when there are threads asking whether something major like this has happened, as if it could have happened and nobody noticed.
The CA owners poll turned out to be a fair indicator of the “waves” of invites. This one may not turn out as well, but no harm in asking.

The CA owners poll turned out to be a fair indicator of the “waves” of invites. This one may not turn out as well, but no harm in asking.

For tracking the waves once invites start, sure, but for knowing that non-employees were beginning to get invitations I bet you didn't find out by looking at a poll, since quite a few threads were immediately started. It will be the same for non-owners. I'm not questioning the usefulness of the poll, just people looking at it to see if non-owner configurations have started.

Last edited:
I talked briefly to a Model 3 owner today who got priority because they had "previously leased a Model S".

I am guessing that the priority is based on having some Tesla, any (non Model 3 presumably) Tesla, in your myTesla account alongside the Model 3 reservation.

That is really frustrating to us non-owners. I keep running into people who are basically "new to Tesla" who are getting Model 3s already.
I was OK with line waiters who already owned (at the time) getting priority for their early reservation, but this "ownership trumps everything" approach is frustrating to non-owners.
I guess Tesla knows where their bread is buttered right now and will continue to do this to encourage more sales of Model S & X.

I talked briefly to a Model 3 owner today who got priority because they had "previously leased a Model S".

I am guessing that the priority is based on having some Tesla, any (non Model 3 presumably) Tesla, in your myTesla account alongside the Model 3 reservation.
I have a powerwall and solar from Tesla. CA day one line waiter (no previous S or X) and no invite yet

That is really frustrating to us non-owners. I keep running into people who are basically "new to Tesla" who are getting Model 3s already.
I was OK with line waiters who already owned (at the time) getting priority for their early reservation, but this "ownership trumps everything" approach is frustrating to non-owners.
I guess Tesla knows where their bread is buttered right now and will continue to do this to encourage more sales of Model S & X.
I understand your frustration, but I consider it this way:

If you had overpaid for your Model S or X by many tens of thousands of dollars in order to support Tesla's development and capital expenditures to make the Model 3, wouldn't you like to be one of the people rewarded with the earliest ownership option to have a brand new car that has to be proven in the marketplace, and for which you already have a lot of practical experience by which to judge it by with your prior driving experience, so that the company can continue to refine it with you being a willing guinea pig?

Prior Roadster, Model S & Model X owners (regardless of when they owned) have paid a lot of money for development of the Model 3, are most familiar with Tesla type vehicles, are most willing to drive Tesla type vehicles, and are most likely able to help debug a production type Tesla type vehicle that is new, and also, are best to explain the new changes to curious people because of their prior experience, making them the best ambassadors.

Really, there's not a lot of compensation for Model S & Model X (and Roadster) buyers for buying their vehicles at huge extra price except being able to buy subsequent cheaper Teslas, and that is made a lot more prominent of a Thank You by giving them first place in line to buy yet another very expensive Tesla.

I know it doesn't seem fair, but if Model 3 is a very expensive car for you (because you didn't have enough $ to buy an S or X), I think you would like it to work the most debugged way possible by the time you get it.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
That is all true, but... The clock is ticking on the tax credits... Using previous ownership to jump the line and take the credit away from a new buyer (who might need it more) will upset some that missed out. The whole tax credit thing makes wanting to get in early worth the risk of not waiting for improvements. The tax credit sunset sort of changes the timing equation on this model.

Also people who put down deposits on day 0 (before the reveal) and let Tesla show the world how much interest / demand was there for Model 3 gave Tesla power to raise money, convince suppliers, and all that. We did support Tesla with our early "leap of faith" deposits. We thought that would get us one sooner than people who didn't decide until seeing proof that it was real and positive reviews and all that.

I have a powerwall and solar from Tesla. CA day one line waiter (no previous S or X) and no invite yet
I am a long time Solar City owner too. Tesla customer service says that Model 3 priority only applies to Tesla vehicle owners. I am a day 1 reservationist CA non-owner and I continue to wait too. but I think we will get our invitations in late March or early April.........just a hunch.

What is really irritating to me is the owners who are selling their invitations for a fee to the general public. This is not right! :mad:

for which you already have a lot of practical experience by which to judge it by with your prior driving experience, so that the company can continue to refine it with you being a willing guinea pig?
I feel like camping out overnight waiting for a car that has never been seen and is two years away from being made would qualify someone as being a "willing guinea pig". Look, I'm fine with Tesla wanting to reward the loyalty and investment of their early adopters. But I think these arguments that previous owners were selected because they are somehow inherently better suited to evaluating the Model 3 is a bunch of hogwash.

Reactions: Pescakl1
I feel like camping out overnight waiting for a car that has never been seen and is two years away from being made would qualify someone as being a "willing guinea pig". Look, I'm fine with Tesla wanting to reward the loyalty and investment of their early adopters. But I think these arguments that previous owners were selected because they are somehow inherently better suited to evaluating the Model 3 is a bunch of hogwash.
I think prior owners are not better, just easier to deal with. I think the first time owners are really the goal. I really hope Tesla reaches them very soon.