Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non- Owners Invitees: Are you configuring or deferring?

Did you chose to Configure or Wait?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reserved during the reveal and received by invite to configure on Friday (04/13). Going to defer as my current vehicle is on lease until March of next year and I am leaning toward the SR version, which I hope comes available sometime in Q4.

I'm on the fence now. At first I was going to be AWD or go home, but now the more I think about it the more I wonder if it really worth it. I would only want it for additional speed, but with tax credit probably going in half by the time I could get it plus the price being potentially more expensive than I would want, RWD may all be that's necessary in the end. I just wish pricing and details could be released sooner so I can make a decision right now.

I'm on the fence now. At first I was going to be AWD or go home, but now the more I think about it the more I wonder if it really worth it. I would only want it for additional speed, but with tax credit probably going in half by the time I could get it plus the price being potentially more expensive than I would want, RWD may all be that's necessary in the end. I just wish pricing and details could be released sooner so I can make a decision right now.

The way I saw it, not only would I lose $3,750 or more due to the Federal credit expiring, but I would be paying for AWD as well as air suspension for what would be a negligible difference in speed and range that would put me into just as fast Model S territory. Would that fraction of a second and maybe 10 miles of range be worth nearly $8500+ to me? It wasn't.

I originally was going to wait for the Standard Range but after crunching numbers, I could afford the LR plus I did not want to risk losing half of the Federal Tax Credit. Plus having the extra 100 miles of range will make me feel better during road trips.

Reactions: IdaX
The way I saw it, not only would I lose $3,750 or more due to the Federal credit expiring, but I would be paying for AWD as well as air suspension for what would be a negligible difference in speed and range that would put me into just as fast Model S territory. Would that fraction of a second and maybe 10 miles of range be worth nearly $8500+ to me? It wasn't.
So you ordered? I don't yet have the ability to configure (Apr 1 reservation holder). But Elon has recently stated that when production ramps up to 5k/wk, that's when AWD will be introduced, and he estimates reaching that around July. If they also are able to get 200k mark the happen at beginning of Q3 rather than Q2 (produce but don't deliver until Jul 1, deliver to Canada), then you'd still get AWD with the full federal discount in Q3 and Q4. So it's unlikely you'd miss out, unless you happen to be at the end of Q4 and run the risk of delivery getting delayed until Jan 1 or later.

So you ordered? I don't yet have the ability to configure (Apr 1 reservation holder). But Elon has recently stated that when production ramps up to 5k/wk, that's when AWD will be introduced, and he estimates reaching that around July. If they also are able to get 200k mark the happen at beginning of Q3 rather than Q2 (produce but don't deliver until Jul 1, deliver to Canada), then you'd still get AWD with the full federal discount in Q3 and Q4. So it's unlikely you'd miss out, unless you happen to be at the end of Q4 and run the risk of delivery getting delayed until Jan 1 or later.

I did order on 4/13, the second I was invited, and got an instaVIN. Just waiting on a call now and I have no idea when I should apply for financing. I've always like fast cars but I figured the regular RWD would be plenty, especially living in Louisiana where the AWD would only have a benefit of slight range and performance as we almost never see ice/snow.

Reactions: IdaX
I wonder what’s going to happen if Tesla runs out of people who want the launch edition before July?

If they go through everyone and everyone left is deferring. Quickly change production to SR and AWD?
I would expect so. They have to keep cranking cars out at a rate of 500-700 / day to make money otherwise the fixed costs (salaries, utilities, etc.) kill them. If everybody starts wanting SR / AWD that's what they gotta make!

I would expect so. They have to keep cranking cars out at a rate of 500-700 / day to make money otherwise the fixed costs (salaries, utilities, etc.) kill them. If everybody starts wanting SR / AWD that's what they gotta make!

I don't know how they manage new invites vs. accumulating deferred invites because they know they'll have a big backlog of already invited people once AWD and SR become available. There's no way they can just change the configurator universally across all invitees at once because they'll never make enough to cover them all within the 6-week window.

Reactions: RenMan68
Nothing you selected as your preference locks you into anything. Think of it as just a survey. You can still configure your car whenever you're ready. And you're still in line to be ungated for the next configuration they open up.
Would you mind sharing your source?

3/31/16 online res-holder here. Received my invite e-mail last Friday (4/13). The e-mail says reply if you have questions. Sent my second reply attempt yesterday and this morning all I got is what appeared to be a reminder to config or reply if questions. I can imagine they are pretty busy, and I wouldn't mind if it took them a week or so to respond, but rather lame to get an e-mail that implies I have neither config'd nor replied. (I do plan to place a call today.)

My questions to them are the same as your post: How does waiting work, and how flexible are they. I'm curious where you got your info regarding the wait process. Thanks much.

3/31/16 online res-holder here. Received my invite e-mail last Friday (4/13). The e-mail says reply if you have questions. Sent my second reply attempt yesterday and this morning all I got is what appeared to be a reminder to config or reply if questions. I can imagine they are pretty busy, and I wouldn't mind if it took them a week or so to respond, but rather lame to get an e-mail that implies I have neither config'd nor replied. (I do plan to place a call today.)

My questions to them are the same as your post: How does waiting work, and how flexible are they. I'm curious where you got your info regarding the wait process. Thanks much.

the question comes up all the time around here. multiple people including myself have gotten the same response from Tesla support.

the question comes up all the time around here. multiple people including myself have gotten the same response from Tesla support.
Thank you.

Regarding the survey at the top of the thread, my response is that I did not vote because the survey does not cover my case: I am waiting for the share price to recover somewhat, but I would also like to get the full federal tax credit.

I got the reminder to configure as well. I think they sent out a big batch in error. I did just call them and was told I did not have an ISA assigned yet despite having a VIN. My wife had been getting all the emails/etc and they had her listed as the primary contact in their system despite what I had entered. They would have called her rather than me when it was time to schedule delivery, so we updated that. Now back to the waiting game.

3/31/2016 reservation made at the dealer, got my invite 4/10/2018. I've been sitting on it, pondering:
a) how long I can sit on this invite
b) when the federal credit will be reduced
c) whether or not the AWD will show up by the federal credit reduction

It seems like the answers are:
a) I can sit on the reservation as long as I like; I won't get kicked out of line
b) assuming Tesla throttle production so they hit 200k cars in July, the $7500 credit will be good for all of Q3 2018
c) given the typical delays, it seems a bit optimistic to think I can get the AWD Model 3 by 9/30/2018

I haven't been following this super closely... Does that sound about right?

But... I guess if I don't care about the $3,750 credit delta as much as I care for AWD, then it's worth the wait. Ah, decisions.