Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does that mean? Some HPWCs yes and some no?

to quote @wk057
Fortunately, this is pretty much a moot issue anyway at this point. The newer Gen2 Tesla HPWC (Wall Connectors) that are provided by Tesla for free to places with destination chargers will ONLY charge Tesla vehicles. They communicate with the car via the supercharger type protocol (SWCAN) and the subsidized ones are set to not use the J1772 protocol any longer.

Non tesla owners using tesla chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX and MarcoRP
Is this a v2 HPWC?
IMG_9524.JPG

I take it you're asking because you want to confirm you can use the charging equipment before you invest in the adapter ...

The V2 HPWC is also available in black, but these look like they're missing the front cover. Do you know when they were installed? Also keep in mind that a lot of installations aren't for max power.

Lastly, please PLEASE ask the business owner if it's okay for you to use. Some businesses require you to be a patron. And some have installed, at their own cost , for their personal use (or that of an employee) & are not part of the Destination Charging program. In that case, they'd likely consider anyone else using it as stealing electricity. You can quickly tell if it's in the program by looking at Tesla's Destination Charging locations.

Since we mostly charge using the Supercharger network while traveling and only use the Destination charging at a hotel for the night, I do not see this being an issue for now. After all, we as Tesla owners are able to use the J-1772 with our included adapter. So far I have used a J-1772 at two different Nissan dealers while on our travels. In both cases when I called ahead I was told to freely use it, even offering to make sure the EVSE charging spot was clear for me. In the first case it was in a small town that my brother lives in. The nearest Supercharger was 60 miles away. I plugged in the evening before we left and let it charge to 100% overnight. The second case was using a Nissan EVSE that was next door to a restaurant that we had dinner with another brother before we left visiting him on our way home. In this case we just wanted a little extra mileage cushion to make sure we got to the next Supercharger on our way back to San Diego. It worked well because we ended up staying at the restaurant about 2 hours, eating and visiting with my brother. Even though we had already spent two days with him it was good to just sit back and chat while the food settled.

It's theft, pure and simple. Tesla pays for the equipment to allow their vehicles to charge at more locations. The business owners pay for the electricity.

It's not theft as long as the business owner where the destination charger is installed allows it. When Tesla gives destination chargers to a business, the business has to pay for electricity, as you correctly point out. As such, the business owner can restrict their use to patrons only to the exclusion of all other Tesla owners. If you look at Tesla's destinations chargers, many require you to be a patron to use it -- not just a Tesla owner. That's at the discretion of the business of course, not Tesla.

The business owner can also allow a patron with a Leaf and adapter to use it and nothing prevents them from doing so -- legally, contractually, or otherwise. The police would never lay theft charges because there is no theft occurring at all. As a patron of the business, that Leaf owner has the legal right to charge, and a Tesla owner who is not a patron using it could be charged with theft of electricity, but even that is highly unlikely, and not pure and simple, but at least it would meet the definition for theft unlike your scenario.

We have had cause to use ours once. (Well twice but once was a test). Worked as advertised. Having said that, in our valley there are a few wineries that have only Tesla destination chargers. Although we have never had to hook up to them yet (and actually didn't have the adapter at that time) we asked one of the owners if he intended to put in a J1772 plug. He had no idea what that was and thought that any EV could hook up to the tesla charger. I knew about the adapter and asked if we had one if it would be alright to use it and he said sure, why not. The charger was open to any customer. Paraphrasing all as I don't recall the exact dialogue but you get the idea. We don't intend to do this often but wouldn't hesitate to use one if the business owner was okay with it and we needed a charge.

We have a 10KWh EVSE in our garage. We are a couple blocks from a mall. We invite everyone and anyone to use our charger to top up while they are at the mall. There are no superchargers in the area and a single DCFC on the other side of town. There are no Tesla destination chargers close to the mall. We have had a half dozen folks take us up on our offer including one Tesla. We charge nothing and expect nothing. We contribute to the community as much as we can. We don't feel like we are causing any harm in the rare situation where we would need to use a Tesla destination charger. JMHO

IMO it’s a two way street. Quick EV charging adoption helps everyone. We use J1772 stations, they should get to use Tesla destination chargers when they can.
no, I think Tesla gave those units to these destinations (or many of them anyway) for the express use by tesla cars

when we go use a j1772 charger at a mall, they were not paid for by Nissan or GM (bolt) ... they were put in place for all EVs

So I think other makes charging at these donated tesla chargers is dirty. And I'd be pissed if I went out of my way to get a hotel that had a couple of these only to find a nissan or something charging at them blocking me from using it.

no, I think Tesla gave those units to these destinations (or many of them anyway) for the express use by tesla cars

when we go use a j1772 charger at a mall, they were not paid for by Nissan or GM (bolt) ... they were put in place for all EVs

So I think other makes charging at these donated tesla chargers is dirty. And I'd be pissed if I went out of my way to get a hotel that had a couple of these only to find a nissan or something charging at them blocking me from using it.

Nissan has sponsored level 2 chargers. Their DC fast chargers as well as their Level 2 chargers at their dealerships are open to the public.

Reactions: MarcoRP
Nissan has sponsored level 2 chargers. Their DC fast chargers as well as their Level 2 chargers at their dealerships are open to the public.

There are a number of reports here (and elsewhere) of Nissan dealerships refusing charging for other makes. In a few reports I've seen some discussion of the dealership manager citing direction from Nissan Corporate as the reason.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
There are a number of reports here (and elsewhere) of Nissan dealerships refusing charging for other makes. In a few reports I've seen some discussion of the dealership manager citing direction from Nissan Corporate as the reason.

There are also a number of plugshare entries of Tesla owners utilizing L2 and L3 chargers at Nissan and BMW dealers. I have no idea what Nissans policy is but I have heard of chevy dealers being "difficult". So yah, that would suck.

There are also a number of plugshare entries of Tesla owners utilizing L2 and L3 chargers at Nissan and BMW dealers. I have no idea what Nissans policy is but I have heard of chevy dealers being "difficult". So yah, that would suck.
Correct. I have myself.

My point is that your unqualified assertion does not hold true:
Webeevdrivers said:
Their DC fast chargers as well as their Level 2 chargers at their dealerships are open to the public.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and hcsharp