Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non Tesla Trade-In Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Tesla Motors Club members,

I'm Nagendra from Vancouver, Canada and i'm looking to trade-in my 2015 Land Rover Range Rover 4DR Dynamic Premium @73650km (1 Rear side collision with insurance claim of $3827). When I went to order Tesla Model 3 at Tesla Vancouver, my current car was valued at $26,000 (way below the market price, I bought it for $48,800 last year).

I would like to know if anyone has used other sources, dealers or Trade Appraisals (ex: Cramax for US customers) in Canada to counter offer Tesla low ball offer?

Thanks in advance for answering my post!

- I have already ordered by Model 3

Looking forward to be a part of Tesla community!

You'll be better to sell privately. I had a low km 328i still under warranty and in immaculate shape and they offered me $9000. Wouldn't budge. The line was that the trade-in doesn't fit their mandate so they just move them wholesale and don't put them on their lot.

Makes sense, but insulting. haha

Hey Tesla Motors Club members,

I'm Nagendra from Vancouver, Canada and i'm looking to trade-in my 2015 Land Rover Range Rover 4DR Dynamic Premium @73650km (1 Rear side collision with insurance claim of $3827). When I went to order Tesla Model 3 at Tesla Vancouver, my current car was valued at $26,000 (way below the market price, I bought it for $48,800 last year).

I would like to know if anyone has used other sources, dealers or Trade Appraisals (ex: Cramax for US customers) in Canada to counter offer Tesla low ball offer?

Thanks in advance for answering my post!

- I have already ordered by Model 3

Looking forward to be a part of Tesla community!
+1 for selling privately. They offered 24k for my 2017 volt. I ended up selling for much more than that, though it took some time. I was also lucky because the person who bought my volt was willing to wait until I picked up the model 3 to complete the transaction. So, in my case I did get lucky....but even if I had to rent/borrow a car for a little while it would have been much better than trading in at ~ 8k less than what I eventually sold for.

I also did try pointing out that in the US they matched the blue book value or carmax, but that argument went nowhere....so my advice is dont waste your time arguing with them. Either accept their offer, or list it privately....

You will always get a crappy price on a trade - this is not a Tesla thing. If you get a great trade price from any dealer, you can guarantee they're making money from you on some other part of the deal. Always try to sell yourself for maximum $$$.

Fact is your beloved car is just a depreciating commodity, not some special treasure, no matter how you've treated it. Trades are a hassle and there's significant costs and risks involved - whoever is buying it from Tesla wholesale is getting a car that's:
  • essentially sight-unseen
  • probably needs a good clean
  • probably needs some amount of mechanical/body work and replacement parts
  • needs picking up and moving on a truck
  • will sit on their forecourt costing them money for a few weeks/months
  • needs advertising
  • needs a bunch of testing/paperwork and admin
  • needs to deliver some profit (they're a business after all...)
All of that costs money so that's why your trade price is crap. If you deal with some or all of this yourself and sell privately, you reap the benefit. Can't be bothered? Pay the price.

I am surprised they offered that much. They offered next to nothing for our trade. You could try a third party high end car consigner; like Autoform, maybe Weissach?. They might even have a Tesla for sale for you to trade for. The problem with selling it privately of course is you have to pay tax on the whole amount and not just the difference. You would have to sell your car for more than $29900 privately to make it worthwhile over a $26000 trade taking luxury tax into account.

Reactions: hpjtv