Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Tesla Trade Ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

setheryb

Model ☰ AWD LR, Red, Aero, FSD | Truck Reserved
Apr 2, 2016
Pasco, WA
Has anyone traded in a vehicle when purchasing their Tesla? Do they provide good value for the trade in?

I'm debating whether to do this when getting my model 3 or just selling my current VW privately/myself.

I think they are fairly well known for low balling trade ins. They have no interest in selling your ICE, so they just dump them off to auctions/wholesalers. The only advantage that I see is possibly saving on sales tax, i.e. entire purchase price of the Tesla versus difference in Tesla and trade in.

Has anyone traded in a vehicle when purchasing their Tesla? Do they provide good value for the trade in?

I'm debating whether to do this when getting my model 3 or just selling my current VW privately/myself.
Tesla does not have a used car lot like other dealers so does not have any way to make extra money on trade-ins. Any non-Tesla it takes in trade is sold wholesale. They will take trades but don't usually give top dollar. You will most likely get a better price selling private party. Some people have used CarMax but my experience has been that they don't offer very good prices.

• Informative
Reactions: setheryb
You're always going to get more selling it yourself. it doesn't matter what dealership you go to, you always get less as a trade-in. That's why KBB and Edmunds give different valuations depending on if you will trade your car in or sell it private party.

Now, Tesla might give even less than any traditional dealership, that's a different story. If so, it is most likely for the reason already mentioned, they don't sell used cars, and therefore have to buy very low to make any money when they sell to a wholesaler.

You always have to do the math to determine if you can make enough selling private party to make up the difference in the sales tax loss. Of course that assumes that you can sell if for what you think you can.

It depends on what you have but I had good luck with selling through Pedal.com. I live in Missouri and had a Ford Escape with a dead transmission. The local offers were only $500. On Pedal they sold it to someone in Texas and I received $1700. I would say 99% of the time you get more selling it yourself.

Tesla is very low even compared to the other wholesaler/trade-ins. I don't think they care to have that as part of their business model, so it has to be really worth it.

Some numerical data on my recent offer for a 2013 Honda Odyssey Touring (as a trade in for the X):

KBB trade-in value: $26,500-27,500
KBB private party value: $28,500-29,950
Tesla's offer: $24,000
Local dealer's cash offer: $26,000
CarMax offer: $27,000

They do offer as a service, but as others have stated, don't expect a stellar offer. One thing to consider though is that even with a lower offer from Tesla it might be better. Why you ask? Well the trade-in will reduce the sales price which will lower your sales tax. Unless your state has exemptions for tax on vehicles, this might work out better.

Other option is to sell it to CarMax or personal sale, but that can be a hassle which may not be worth a couple extra hundred dollars.

Well the trade-in will reduce the sales price which will lower your sales tax. Unless your state has exemptions for tax on vehicles, this might work out better.
There are many states that do not net the trade-in with regard to sales tax. California is one of them. Sales tax still applies on the full price of the Tesla.

I lived in Austin for 20 years, so I know Texas is a state that allows you to net the price before charging sales tax.

It depends on what you have but I had good luck with selling through Pedal.com. I live in Missouri and had a Ford Escape with a dead transmission. The local offers were only $500. On Pedal they sold it to someone in Texas and I received $1700. I would say 99% of the time you get more selling it yourself.

Um, that's a workout class website.

I live in Washington and we have no sales tax on EVs for base models up to $35k WA state extends sales tax exemption to include "mid-level" Tesla model 3 | Tesla Motors So trade-in for sales tax not really beneficial.

If it's one of those VW's, you'll do better selling it back to VW.
Robin

It isn't one of those VW's (as far as I know) I didn't opt for the TDI back then. I'm currently in a 2011 Tiguan. I want to use what I can get from this vehicle to essentially pay for some/all of the options I might want.

I appreciate the feedback and any suggestions or successes you've had in selling your ICE cars

• Love
Reactions: Shamrock17
Tesla is very low even compared to the other wholesaler/trade-ins. I don't think they care to have that as part of their business model, so it has to be really worth it.

Some numerical data on my recent offer for a 2013 Honda Odyssey Touring (as a trade in for the X):

KBB trade-in value: $26,500-27,500
KBB private party value: $28,500-29,950
Tesla's offer: $24,000
Local dealer's cash offer: $26,000
CarMax offer: $27,000

I don't have the extra room to have a non-plated car sitting around, so I'm thinking I'll probably be doing a little plate switcheroo the 1st few days to get the ICE over to CarMax. While I don't have the room, I'm at least in the good position of not needing the proceeds from the ICE sale to pay for the Model 3. Totally separate. The ICE money will fund the aftermarket tint of my Model 3 though. That's about it.

Reactions: setheryb
I will add my experience since I just got back some numbers today.

I am trading in a 2014 Mazda3. It is low mileage, but I was in an accident last October, and it took about $11k worth of repairs. Tesla just offered $8k. After we got the car back from the shop last November, I shopped around a bit to see what it was worth, and was getting offers between $13k (Carmax) and $14,500 (Vroom). So presuming it lost $500 or so of value in the intervening 6 months (no other accidents or issues), Tesla was about $4k lower than others.

When I worked with them on a trade in it was back in November 2015 Tesla offered me $6,000 on a 2006 Lexus RX400h with 140,??? miles. It needed a new radiator and some front suspension bar. I found KBB at $8,000. I had been watching the value on-line for awhile and last I had was $7,???... I offered it to someone at $7,000 they accepted the rest is history.