Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOOB, Can anyone give an earful on my Tesla S 60 purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btrflyl8e just sold her blue 2013 S60 in that price range. If you want the extended service agreement (most people call it an extended warranty) to cover the car from 50K to 100K miles, then the original owner must purchase it. So have them take care of that before the sale and then transfer it to you.

I think the price sounds pretty good. But most definitely get the extended warranty. The earlier models have many more issues than cars after about mid 2014. Those repair costs could add up really fast. There are several threads and great opinions on whether the warranty is worth it. I don't think I could buy it without. Just have the MCU (17") go out on you and you are talking big dollars. And there are known issues with the 2013's and earlier: A-battery packs failing, drive motor and inverter going out, door handles failing, air leaks on the windows, wipers crapping out, window/door mechanism problems banging into each other, rear view auto dim mirror going out. Even considering the 200 copay for ext warranty repairs, I think it is worth it for a new car built early in the cycle.

I think the price sounds pretty good. But most definitely get the extended warranty. The earlier models have many more issues than cars after about mid 2014. Those repair costs could add up really fast. There are several threads and great opinions on whether the warranty is worth it. I don't think I could buy it without. Just have the MCU (17") go out on you and you are talking big dollars. And there are known issues with the 2013's and earlier: A-battery packs failing, drive motor and inverter going out, door handles failing, air leaks on the windows, wipers crapping out, window/door mechanism problems banging into each other, rear view auto dim mirror going out. Even considering the 200 copay for ext warranty repairs, I think it is worth it for a new car built early in the cycle.

As an ex-owner of a Model S Signature, let me toss in that, yeah, there were a couple problems. A couple door handles quit working. They all got replaced for free. The frunk latch malfunctioned. Replaced for free. I have never heard of the center screen "going out", but with most electronics, if it lasts a week, it's good for life. I did hear of a FEW battery packs having issues. They were replaced. Air leaks? Tell the Service Center, and it gets fixed, at least in my experience. Never heard of "wipers crapping out"! Drive motors were replaced even if the problem was only a shim. Oh, and yes, I got a new inverter: No fee replacement. Amazing. This sounds like early Model Ses were horrible, and that's simply not true. The problems were with making an entirely new product from an entirely new company, and mostly, they were fixed early on, for free.

It sounds like you are comparing EVs to gas cars with 500 to 1000 moving parts. They DO have problems, and as they get older the problems increase. Not so with Teslas. The problems show up at first, get fixed, and that's it.

Oh, of course, you have to figure on normal wear. Tires, wiper blades. What else? My old Signature developed a "clunk" after I sold it at 83,000 miles. As far as I know, it was fixed. And I did not buy any extended warranty. The buyer seemed to think this was normal. So do I.

Please don't try to make Tesla into what you imagine to be the standard for ICE cars. They are not.

Reactions: CarlitoDoc
As an ex-owner of a Model S Signature, let me toss in that, yeah, there were a couple problems. A couple door handles quit working. They all got replaced for free. The frunk latch malfunctioned. Replaced for free. I have never heard of the center screen "going out", but with most electronics, if it lasts a week, it's good for life. I did hear of a FEW battery packs having issues. They were replaced. Air leaks? Tell the Service Center, and it gets fixed, at least in my experience. Never heard of "wipers crapping out"! Drive motors were replaced even if the problem was only a shim. Oh, and yes, I got a new inverter: No fee replacement. Amazing. This sounds like early Model Ses were horrible, and that's simply not true. The problems were with making an entirely new product from an entirely new company, and mostly, they were fixed early on, for free.

It sounds like you are comparing EVs to gas cars with 500 to 1000 moving parts. They DO have problems, and as they get older the problems increase. Not so with Teslas. The problems show up at first, get fixed, and that's it.

Oh, of course, you have to figure on normal wear. Tires, wiper blades. What else? My old Signature developed a "clunk" after I sold it at 83,000 miles. As far as I know, it was fixed. And I did not buy any extended warranty. The buyer seemed to think this was normal. So do I.

Please don't try to make Tesla into what you imagine to be the standard for ICE cars. They are not.

i agree and I like this, thank you. I am getting it. I should have it in a week or 2 as long as I get get him the watches he wants tomorrow.

I apologize if I came across as bashing the earlier cars. That was by no means my intent.

I'm not trying to make an MS into an ICE car at all. I appreciate and am am happy to hear that your experience was good. However, I have read many posts about problems with the earlier cars. That is to be expected with any new tech and vehicle. That's why I mentioned that the ext. warranty is an important part of his considering buying the car. That way, he is not on the hook for what could be expensive down the road.

I know that people such as Consumer Reports say that ext warranties are not worth the money. My own experience has been that they have paid for themselves many times over. Mostly due to electronics. Just one example: I had a nav system go on my Acura that would have cost 2500 to repair. I only paid 1200 for the warranty. That one issue paid for itself. And I had a few other minor issues. So I was way ahead. I do think the 4K price for the Tesla one is steep, which makes it a harder decision.

Anyway, I would love to hear some feedback! Thanks!

Compared to an i3, you won't regret it. But if you are not price constrained, you may definitely regret not having more range and not having AUTOPILOT. Autopilot is a huge innovative step and it's the difference between owning an iPhone 1 and an iPhone 2. If you have the chance to drive an Autopilot car, you'll understand very quickly why it's not preferable to skip on that capability.

Compared to an i3, you won't regret it. But if you are not price constrained, you may definitely regret not having more range and not having AUTOPILOT. Autopilot is a huge innovative step and it's the difference between owning an iPhone 1 and an iPhone 2. If you have the chance to drive an Autopilot car, you'll understand very quickly why it's not preferable to skip on that capability.

I wouldn't seat it. Range is nice, but having owned both 60 and 85, I must say I've yet to be in the situation where 60 wouldn't do but 85 would. I was in a situation a couple of times I would have needed a 120KWh battery, so 85 over 60 didn't help at all.

Autopilot is also a nice to have, but at its current incarnation it still requires full driver attention, so it's like a fancy cruise control, nice but you gotta ask yourself how much is it worth to you? In this case you're probably looking at additional $18K or more to get autopilot, which is a large chunk of change (I bet if autopilot features costed $18K in the design studio, a lot less people would buy it, even though they were spending more than $42K on the base car).

Congrats! Enjoy!

I looked at an i3 a couple of years ago because the lease was the same as what I spend on gas. However, I would have had to have kept my ICE SUV for trips and for hauling around 5 or 6 people (6 in the family). The extra insurance wasn't worth it. You didn't mention above but if the S60 replaces both your i3 and whatever you use for longer trips, you're WAY ahead.

S60 owner and I would also say the range difference between 60 and 85 really do not change your driving habits. The only benefit I saw with the S85 is the lifetime battery and drive train warranty which would only apply if you're keeping it more than 125k miles or 5 years in your case.

I am taking delivery of the car tomorrow. Price includes the charger. And I am trading watches so not the end of the world. If I want to upgrade I could always trade it or sell it. Tomorrow 9am pacific I will know more about it!
Enjoy it! BTW, the several people I know who have both i3 and S say the S is more efficient and the i3 at highway speeds. Best guess taht is due to aerodynamic drag on the i#. In town the situation reverses. Personally I really like the S60 at the price point. That's probably why the good ones go so fast. Please tell us how it works for you. All the i3 people will be interested.

I almost bought an i3 in Brazil but the only ones imported are REX with larger wheels so there are mechanical and tire problems galore. It seems the BEV version with smaller wheels has few problems, both those aren't an option here. I just must wait for the Model 3.:mad:

So far after less than a day I will say a couple things.

1. The S is hard to get into for big guys. I am 6'2" 270 and that a pillar is really silly. I wish it was back about 4 inches or the opening to get into the car was bigger.

2. The i3 isnt close, it is WAY more nimble for around town driving.

3. The 60 vs the 70 is crazy. I test drove the 70 and I was shocked, when I drove the 60 for the first time I was like meh whatever.

4. The stereo in the S is absolutely 1000 times better... and the display is so sweet, I love that. I am directionally challenged and this was a huge help for me.

5. The plug in my garage where the dryer is, is different than the plug I need on the Tesla cable. I will have to figure that out...

6. The ride quality as far as smoothness and sound goes to the Tesla. If just feels more solid where the i3 feels cheap and tinny.

7. I wish I had the 70 or above... But since it was a watch trade, I cannot complain.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Is there a reason why you opted to buy outside the Tesla Motors Website (pre-owned section)? I am seriously considering getting rid of my T-reg and buying a pre-owned model S, but there is a "big" concern on my part as to whether or not the car has been "properly" cared for particularly the battery. I placed an order for a Model 3, but guess I am not patient enough to wait for 3 years till I get it (I'll still buy it anyway). Input is welcome, and much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

So far after less than a day I will say a couple things.

1. The S is hard to get into for big guys. I am 6'2" 270 and that a pillar is really silly. I wish it was back about 4 inches or the opening to get into the car was bigger.

2. The i3 isnt close, it is WAY more nimble for around town driving.

3. The 60 vs the 70 is crazy. I test drove the 70 and I was shocked, when I drove the 60 for the first time I was like meh whatever.

4. The stereo in the S is absolutely 1000 times better... and the display is so sweet, I love that. I am directionally challenged and this was a huge help for me.

5. The plug in my garage where the dryer is, is different than the plug I need on the Tesla cable. I will have to figure that out...

6. The ride quality as far as smoothness and sound goes to the Tesla. If just feels more solid where the i3 feels cheap and tinny.

7. I wish I had the 70 or above... But since it was a watch trade, I cannot complain.
I'm the same size as you, 6 foot 2, 275 lbs.... Try getting in this way, put your butt in first, almost facing sideways, then swing both legs in after and turn your butt at the same time. Works much better for me.

I'm the same size as you, 6 foot 2, 275 lbs.... Try getting in this way, put your butt in first, almost facing sideways, then swing both legs in after and turn your butt at the same time. Works much better for me.
I'm much smaller, 5 feet 10 inches, 175 pounds. Still, I use your technique and recommend it to others. That makes Model S entry/egress very easy.