Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norcal Bay Area Model 3 Tint/PPF Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I was quoted $4700 for full body XPEL, $450 for Suntek Carbon all side windows + rear window, $1550 for full front XPEL, $1450 for Ceramic Pro Gold which is 4 layers 9H, 1 layer finish and lifetime warranty. You could upgrade to $600 for Suntek Ceramic and $900 for 3M Crystalline. But I actually really want the XPEL Prime Plus XR which is the only hold up I have right now.

Interesting. I am on the exact same boat. I also requested to remove the emblem and there is a deep scratch on the left side of where the 'T' was.

I requested to give me the emblem they removed, but they only had the lower part of the 'T' logo. Have no idea why they didn't keep it for me.

Well. that is certainly interesting. My scratch was also on the left side of where the emblem was. Seems very fishy to me.

Well. that is certainly interesting. My scratch was also on the left side of where the emblem was. Seems very fishy to me.

Alex said that he saw these 'scratches' happen on other Model 3s they did and he doesn’t know why.

The good thing is that I had a measuring tape and took some measures from another Model 3 from the hood-fender-bumper line going across the hood to where the left side of the 'T' starts and I could see that when a new emblem is put on, the emblem will just about cover up the scratch. My Model 3 is in the SC (for various issues) and I requested a new emblem. Since my PPF is still in curing, I told them not to install it and just give me the emblem.

My bigger issue is that I currently have 2 fingerprints on the left fender, 1/4 inch of film crumpled on the right fender, film on the right side mirror edge not completely sticking, film on the driver side door edge near the side mirror clamped and torn, a patch of around 7-8 bubbles on the rear bumper, small bubbles on some panels, bubbles on the tint, etc.

Alex was super nice and very communicative. Also, the price is very reasonable so it's not ideal that I have these issues, but I hope these can be fixed during my next checkup visit in a couple of weeks.

Actually, I was quoted $4700 for full body XPEL, $450 for Suntek Carbon all side windows + rear window, $1550 for full front XPEL, $1450 for Ceramic Pro Gold which is 4 layers 9H, 1 layer finish and lifetime warranty. You could upgrade to $600 for Suntek Ceramic and $900 for 3M Crystalline. But I actually really want the XPEL Prime Plus XR which is the only hold up I have right now.

Oh I actually got a quote back and got the same. That's a really good deal also. They're more convenient for me and have good reviews. I'm probably going to get Xpel Stealth and the Suntek ceramic (would prefer Xpel or Llumar but Suntek Ceramic isn't bad).

They just did a stealth wrap. Looks pretty good, would like to have the edges tucked, but this client didn't want panels removed. I'm trying to see if they are willing to remove panels if asked.
MUM Sports photos

I also have a quote from Auto Design Pros in Pittsburg that's a little more expensive than Mum. They both have really good reviews, it's just distance and quality I'm curious about.

Oh I actually got a quote back and got the same. That's a really good deal also. They're more convenient for me and have good reviews. I'm probably going to get Xpel Stealth and the Suntek ceramic (would prefer Xpel or Llumar but Suntek Ceramic isn't bad).

They just did a stealth wrap. Looks pretty good, would like to have the edges tucked, but this client didn't want panels removed. I'm trying to see if they are willing to remove panels if asked.
MUM Sports photos

I also have a quote from Auto Design Pros in Pittsburg that's a little more expensive than Mum. They both have really good reviews, it's just distance and quality I'm curious about.

Yeah I'm still debating between the group buy and MUM sports. The group buy is still cheaper and I want to find out more about the quality.

Tesla mobile service stopped by this morning to apply the new badge. They use a guide that hooks onto the hood latch to make sure it's centered properly. Based on that, it's clear the scratch was not under the badge but was created when Wheel Xperts removed it. I tried to cover the scratch as best I could. Looking back, I wish I researched removing the emblem myself. Oh well.

One positive and one negative: Tesla did not charge me anything for the emblem. Kudos to them! But the emblem is completely flat and stiff. So it does not seem to be adhering perfectly against the sloped hood. Not sure if I received the wrong one (maybe they ordered the one that goes on the back?) or if we didn't apply correctly. But the bottom of the T looks like it's going to lift. The service guy said I could just call them back if it does.

Tesla mobile service stopped by this morning to apply the new badge. They use a guide that hooks onto the hood latch to make sure it's centered properly. Based on that, it's clear the scratch was not under the badge but was created when Wheel Xperts removed it. I tried to cover the scratch as best I could. Looking back, I wish I researched removing the emblem myself. Oh well.

That's what I figured ... can't trust Alex now (he's lied twice so far and so blatantly) :rolleyes:

Hmmm looks like sroh ^ above had some bad experience with scratching. I'm going to go with Mum or Auto Design Pro. Waiting to hear back from Mum about some questions I had, but I'm currently penciled in to drop off my car next Wednesday while I'm out of town. Owner said it would take roughly 5-6 days to complete so it'll fall perfectly in line with when I'm back. Will post updates

The plot thickens ...

I find it odd that two cars have similar scratches in the same general area! o_O
Yeah, I ended up using another place due to the quality issues I’ve been seeing on TMC. A bit more expensive and they do a hybrid pre-cut and edge wrap PPF but I’m really glad I went with them as the quality of work is extremely good. They didn’t remove emblems and cut around it but I can barely make out the edge (attached). Anyway, I’m sure the group buy will save you $$ but seemed too much of a crapshoot given that I’d be upset if I had hazy tint or cut edges.

Attachments

• 388ACE35-7318-4126-AD4A-9AAFFD1D5ABD.jpeg
    388ACE35-7318-4126-AD4A-9AAFFD1D5ABD.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 135
Yeah, I ended up using another place due to the quality issues I’ve been seeing on TMC. A bit more expensive and they do a hybrid pre-cut and edge wrap PPF but I’m really glad I went with them as the quality of work is extremely good. They didn’t remove emblems and cut around it but I can barely make out the edge (attached). Anyway, I’m sure the group buy will save you $$ but seemed too much of a crapshoot given that I’d be upset if I had hazy tint or cut edges.

Well buyer beware I guess, definitely good to be informed.
I'd rather have my emblem removed than leave seams like that at each edge where the 2 halves of the emblem meet. I'll make sure to do this myself with fishing line or dental floss for mine. With that gap I am sure its very difficult to cut the whole thing between those 2 pieces without removing the emblems.

One positive and one negative: Tesla did not charge me anything for the emblem. Kudos to them! But the emblem is completely flat and stiff. So it does not seem to be adhering perfectly against the sloped hood. Not sure if I received the wrong one (maybe they ordered the one that goes on the back?) or if we didn't apply correctly. But the bottom of the T looks like it's going to lift. The service guy said I could just call them back if it does.

What did that aligning tool look like? I had ppf installed and I purchased a new emblem from Burlingame and they charged me $25+tax and no offer to install it for me.

What did that aligning tool look like? I had ppf installed and I purchased a new emblem from Burlingame and they charged me $25+tax and no offer to install it for me.

A bit hard to explain. It was a plastic mold with a cut out where the emblem would be placed. Then there was a ledge-like piece with a notch that hung down. You would open the hood, place the tool so the notch fit onto the hood latch and the top of the tool would be perfectly aligned.

It still wasn't easy as the emblem comes in two pieces. Finally, it appear that the emblem is not fully adhering. It's too stiff and flat, whereas the hood is sloped. I may have received the wrong emblem.

A bit hard to explain. It was a plastic mold with a cut out where the emblem would be placed. Then there was a ledge-like piece with a notch that hung down. You would open the hood, place the tool so the notch fit onto the hood latch and the top of the tool would be perfectly aligned.

It still wasn't easy as the emblem comes in two pieces. Finally, it appear that the emblem is not fully adhering. It's too stiff and flat, whereas the hood is sloped. I may have received the wrong emblem.

Do you have a part number? Mine says "M3 FRONT T BADGE, EF" with part number 1098489-90-E. It's hard to tell, but I think I see a slight curve towards the tip of the T.

Just pick up mine from Alex today. I got the full wrap, all windows tilt and bronze ceramic coating package. It needs to go back to apply the final layer of coating after install the Tesla emblem and catch up any bubbles 3 weeks later. The overall quality is good, found a small imperfection on one piece, Alex has no hesitation to approach re-do when I come back. I totally satisfied for the money for what I get.

Attachments

• ADF2983D-52F0-4B02-9006-7BD4106A39AD.jpeg
    ADF2983D-52F0-4B02-9006-7BD4106A39AD.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 9828E27D-08B0-4730-96BC-CFCFCF1D0239.jpeg
    9828E27D-08B0-4730-96BC-CFCFCF1D0239.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 2B796E87-F95F-47D0-986E-C03427D4E0AF.jpeg
    2B796E87-F95F-47D0-986E-C03427D4E0AF.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 5F004671-2439-4E98-8ACF-35508EC73B79.jpeg
    5F004671-2439-4E98-8ACF-35508EC73B79.jpeg