Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are our chances of getting our Tesla’s this quarter Elon?

1211442310.jpg.0.jpg

In FortWorth area and trying to see if it makes sense to get Wall charger installed. I just got a quote of 1350 (wall charger included) for an install right next to switch board. Are you all getting similar quotes or is there a less expensive option out there.

Oh, Oct EDD this morning for me too for 6/20 MYLR White/White with no other options. This after 8/27-9-156 stood stable for over 2 weeks

In FortWorth area and trying to see if it makes sense to get Wall charger installed. I just got a quote of 1350 (wall charger included) for an install right next to switch board. Are you all getting similar quotes or is there a less expensive option out there.
You mean the Tesla Wall a connector which has to be hard wired in to your panel?
We’ll call this Option 1.

That’s a $500 item so the install part is costing you $850. Seems very expensive to me for being next to your panel…

As for this wall connector, the good thing about it is it’s the fastest way to charge at 48amps which is 11.5KW.
One downside is that it’s Tesla only which means if you ever got a different brand of EV you’re going to need to pay again for a different unit…
The second downside is if you ever move house you’re going to need to pay to uninstall it to take it with you.

Option 2:
If you have a standard NEMA 14-50 socket installed instead you can take your charger with you if you move house or plug in any other brand of charger to charge any brand of electric car without having to call an electrician again.

if you go with option 2 you can do one of two things:

2a:
Use the mobile connector that comes with your car (you just need to buy the short NEMA 14-50 adapter cord from a Tesla for like $40) and charge at 32Amps or 7.6KW (so 65% of the speed of the hard wired wall connector) and even buy a second mobile connector for like $250 if you want to permanently leave one in the trunk.

2B:
Buy the more expensive $500 corded mobile connector which is the same as what comes with your car except the NEMA 14-50 cable is hard wired to it and because of that can pull 40 Amps or 9.5KW (82% ofthe speed of the hard wired wall connector).

I don’t like proprietary or paying twice so I’m going with option 2B.
I am waiting for the corded mobile connector I ordered (they are generally out of stock, it’s hard to snag one) so I can charge at 40Amps but until that arrives I will use the 32A one that comes with the car because I already bought the NEMA 14-50 cord for it.
The install of the socket cost me $400 at 15 feet or so from the panel.

As a side tip, if you go with option 2 ask for a quote to install a NEMA 14-50 (stove/range) socket in your garage. Don’t say an EV charger and certainly don’t mention Tesla because they’ll think you’re rich and clueless and happy to spend money on your beloved EV and will make up the price. Just tell them exactly the name of the socket, where you want it, that is needs to be able to provide 40Amps continuous on a 50Amp breaker. If they ask what it’s for tell them you’re getting a used lathe or laser cutter for your hobby.

Reactions: gkmanu8
You mean the Tesla Wall a connector which has to be hard wired in to your panel?
We’ll call this Option 1.

That’s a $500 item so the install part is costing you $850. Seems very expensive to me for being next to your panel…

As for this wall connector, the good thing about it is it’s the fastest way to charge at 48amps which is 11.5KW.
One downside is that it’s Tesla only which means if you ever got a different brand of EV you’re going to need to pay again for a different unit…
The second downside is if you ever move house you’re going to need to pay to uninstall it to take it with you.

Option 2:
If you have a standard NEMA 14-50 socket installed instead you can take your charger with you if you move house or plug in any other brand of charger to charge any brand of electric car without having to call an electrician again.

if you go with option 2 you can do one of two things:

2a:
Use the mobile connector that comes with your car (you just need to buy the short NEMA 14-50 adapter cord from a Tesla for like $40) and charge at 32Amps or 7.6KW (so 65% of the speed of the hard wired wall connector) and even buy a second mobile connector for like $250 if you want to permanently leave one in the trunk.

2B:
Buy the more expensive $500 corded mobile connector which is the same as what comes with your car except the NEMA 14-50 cable is hard wired to it and because of that can pull 40 Amps or 9.5KW (82% ofthe speed of the hard wired wall connector).

I don’t like proprietary or paying twice so I’m going with option 2B.
I am waiting for the corded mobile connector I ordered (they are generally out of stock, it’s hard to snag one) so I can charge at 40Amps but until that arrives I will use the 32A one that comes with the car because I already bought the NEMA 14-50 cord for it.
The install of the socket cost me $400 at 15 feet or so from the panel.

As a side tip, if you go with option 2 ask for a quote to install a NEMA 14-50 (stove/range) socket in your garage. Don’t say an EV charger and certainly don’t mention Tesla because they’ll think you’re rich and clueless and happy to spend money on your beloved EV and will make up the price. Just tell them exactly the name of the socket, where you want it, that is needs to be able to provide 40Amps continuous on a 50Amp breaker. If they ask what it’s for tell them you’re getting a used lathe or laser cutter for your hobby.
Thanks for the detailed info. Reading your response makes me think I wanna go with 2a option. However, when I moved into this 2006 built home about 5 years back, I remember the dryer plug would not work and I had to use an older plug (mover said I needed to upgrade my socket if i was to use the plug that came with thr dryer). Of course I never did that since the old plug he used worked just fine. Do you think that would be an issue if i go for option 2a. Hate for the guy to be here and then quote more.
Also, who did you use for the 400$ install. I’d likely reach out to the same individual. Thanks again.

Bear in mind that a NEMA 14-50 is not a dryer plug. Lots of YouTubers refer to them as dryer plugs but they're not. They are used for even higher power items than dryers, like stoves/ranges.
I *think* a dryer plug is a NEMA 14-30, and you can use option 2a with that but it will charge a third slower than a NEMA 14-50 outlet.
Also, I'm not sure if the required adapter comes with the car or if you have to buy it (when I say adapter I am referring to the fact that the mobile connector or "charger" that comes with the car has interchangeable cords on it, it comes with a regular 110 wall socket cord for sure, but I'm not sure if it comes with the NEMA 14-30 dryer cord).

If you already have a working 30A dryer outlet in the garage then I'd probably just use that with the "charger" that comes with the car but I'd try and find out if they include the right cord with the car. If not I would pre-order it from the Tesla shop. This would be by far the cheapest option.

If you don't have a suitable dryer outlet already in the garage then you may as well pay the electrician to fit the most powerful 14-50 socket as the labor is the same and a negligible difference in materials cost. Then you could buy the 14-50 cord from the Tesla shop for the "charger" that comes with the car.

Note that I don't think plugging things into an outlet every day is a good idea, it will wear out the socket. And if you leave the mobile connector plugged in at home then what do you do if you get caught short when out and about and not near a Supercharger? I suggest leaving the free Mobile Connector in the car at all times and buying a spare one for home, just so I don't have to keep plugging and unpluggign stuff. I also like the idea of a second "charger" in case one breaks so I'm not left up the creek with no paddle. But that's just a personal opinion.

As this stuff is more complicated than it should be I've put together a quick summary below on home charging options starting with the lowest cost.
It should be noted I don't have my car yet, this is just what my extensive research has indicated:

Disclosure: I am going with option 4.

Note: All charging powers assume max voltage and don't account for conversion losses. Expect to get less than this in reality, maybe only 90% of the stated figures.

1. Mobile Connector to plug in to a basic 110V outlet
This is essentially the free option for most people, but unrealistically slow unless you only use the car once or twice per week for short trips.
Best for when you're caught out somewhere and desperate.

Charge rate:
120 Volts at 15 Amps (1.8KW in theory but in reality half this figure) will add roughly 3 miles per hour to a Model Y.

Cost:
Existing 110V outlet - Free
Mobile Connector - Free with car ($250 for an extra one from Tesla)
NEMA 5-15 cord - Free with car

2. Mobile Connector plus a NEMA 14-30 cord to plug in to existing dryer outlet
This is a great choice if you already have a dryer socket in the garage and almost free (just need the $40 adapter) unless you decide to buy a second Mobile Connector so that you leave one at home and always have one in the car.

Charge rate:
240 Volts at 22 Amps (5.5KW) will add roughly 21 miles per hour to a Model Y.

Cost:
Existing NEMA 14-30 dryer outlet - Free
NEMA 14-30 cord - $40 from Tesla store

3. Mobile Connector plus a NEMA 14-50 cord to plug in to a new stove outlet
As it's unlikely you have this type of socket already in your garage expect to pay an electrician to come and fit one. Prices for that depend on your circumstances and what the electrician feels like. I've heard figures as low as $250 for an outlet right next to your main power panel (if it's in a convenient spot in the garage) to well over $1,500 for a long run from the other side of the house to a garage.

Charge rate:
240 Volts at 32 Amps (7.6KW) will add roughly 29 miles per hour to a Model Y.

Cost:
New NEMA 14-50 outlet install - *varies
Mobile Connector - Free ($250 for an extra one from Tesla)
NEMA 14-50 cord - $40 from Tesla Store

4. Corded Mobile Connector to plug in to a new stove outlet
This is a slight upgrade to the above in charging speed and cost but uses the same socket. Again as it's unlikely you have this type of socket already in your garage expect to pay an electrician to come and fit one. This upgrade requires the purchase of the Corded Mobile Connector from the Tesla store. This is essentially the same as the Mobile Connector that comes free with your car but the end cord is not interchangeable, it can only be used on a NEMA 14-50 outlet but because the cord is fixed it can handle more power. Another upside is that you can leave your Mobile Connector in your car permanently and just use this one at home.

Charge rate:
240 Volts at 40 Amps (9.6KW) will add roughly 36 miles per hour to a Model Y.

Cost:
Corded Mobile Connector - $500 from Tesla store (Mobile Corded Connector that came with your car is not needed for home so stays in car at all times)

4. Tesla Wall Connector hardwired in
This is the fastest way to charge at home. Instead of installing a high power NEMA 14-50 socket and you plugging something into that this device is wired directly in to your breaker panel. With no socket or other connections it can pull the most power but there is a limit on cable length, a mere 18 feet I believe? It is also waterproof and can be installed outside. The downside is that you need to pay to have it installed (probably same or fractionally less than a NEMA 14-50 outlet), you would need to pay to uninstall it if you wanted to take it with you when you move house, and if you ever get a non Tesla EV you can't use this to charge it so you'd have to pay an electrician to come out to install an outlet or something for that other car. So this is the fastest but least flexible option. But if you get a 2nd Tesla and install a 2nd Wall Connector to charge both vehicles overnight they can talk to each other and reduce their charge rates so that you don't blow the house breaker. But now we're getting into edge cases...

Charge rate:
240 Volts at 48 Amps (11.5KW) will add roughly 43 miles per hour to a Model Y.

Cost:
Tesla Wall Connector - $500 from Tesla store (Mobile Corded Connector that came with your car is not needed for home so stays in car at all times)
Install of above - *varies

Last edited:
Bear in mind that a NEMA 14-50 is not a dryer plug. Lots of YouTubers refer to them as dryer plugs but they're not. They are used for even higher power items than dryers, like stoves/ranges.
I *think* a dryer plug is a NEMA 14-30, and you can use option 2a with that but it will charge a third slower than a NEMA 14-50 outlet.
Also, I'm not sure if the required adapter comes with the car or if you have to buy it (when I say adapter I am referring to the fact that the mobile connector or "charger" that comes with the car has interchangeable cords on it, it comes with a regular 110 wall socket cord for sure, but I'm not sure if it comes with the NEMA 14-30 dryer cord).

If you already have a working 30A dryer outlet in the garage then I'd probably just use that with the "charger" that comes with the car but I'd try and find out if they include the right cord with the car. If not I would pre-order it from the Tesla shop. This would be by far the cheapest option.

If you don't have a suitable dryer outlet already in the garage then you may as well pay the electrician to fit the most powerful 14-50 socket as the labor is the same and a negligible difference in materials cost. Then you could buy the 14-50 cord from the Tesla shop for the "charger" that comes with the car.

Note that I don't think plugging things into an outlet every day is a good idea, it will wear out the socket. And if you leave the mobile connector plugged in at home then what do you do if you get caught short when out and about and not near a Supercharger? I suggest leaving the free Mobile Connector in the car at all times and buying a spare one for home, just so I don't have to keep plugging and unpluggign stuff. I also like the idea of a second "charger" in case one breaks so I'm not left up the creek with no paddle. But that's just a personal opinion.

As this stuff is more complicated than it should be I've put together a quick summary below on home charging options starting with the lowest cost.
It should be noted I don't have my car yet, this is just what my extensive research has indicated:

Note: All charging powers assume max voltage and don't account for conversion losses. Expect to get less than this in reality, maybe only 90% of the stated figures.

This is essentially the free option for most people, but unrealistically slow unless you only use the car once or twice per week for short trips.

Charge rate:
120 Volts at 15 Amps (1.8KW in theory but in reality half this figure) will add roughly 3 miles per hour to a Model Y.

Cost:

This is a great choice if you already have a dryer socket in the garage and almost free (just need the $40 adapter) unless you decide to buy a second Mobile Connector so that you leave one at home and always have one in the car.

Charge rate:

Cost:

As it's unlikely you have this type of socket already in your garage expect to pay an electrician to come and fit one. Prices for that depend on your circumstances and what the electrician feels like. I've heard figures as low as $250 for an outlet right next to your main power panel (if it's in a convenient spot in the garage) to well over $1,500 for a long run from the other side of the house to a garage.

Charge rate:

Cost:

This is a slight upgrade to the above in charging speed and cost but uses the same socket. Again as it's unlikely you have this type of socket already in your garage expect to pay an electrician to come and fit one. This upgrade requires the purchase of the Corded Mobile Connector from the Tesla store. This is essentially the same as the Mobile Connector that comes free with your car but the end cord is not interchangeable, it can only be used on a NEMA 14-50 outlet but because the cord is fixed it can handle more power. Another upside is that you can leave your Mobile Connector in your car permanently and just use this one at home.

Charge rate:

Cost:
Corded Mobile Connector - $500 from Tesla store (Mobile Corded Connector that came with your car is not needed for home so stays in car at all times)

This is the fastest way to charge at home. Instead of installing a high power NEMA 14-50 socket and you plugging something into that this device is wired directly in to your breaker panel. With no socket or other connections it can pull the most power but there is a limit on cable length, a mere 18 feet I believe? It is also waterproof and can be installed outside. The downside is that you need to pay to have it installed (probably same or fractionally less than a NEMA 14-50 outlet), you would need to pay to uninstall it if you wanted to take it with you when you move house, and if you ever get a non Tesla EV you can't use this to charge it so you'd have to pay an electrician to come out to install an outlet or something for that other car. So this is the fastest but least flexible option. But if you get a 2nd Tesla and install a 2nd Wall Connector to charge both vehicles overnight they can talk to each other and reduce their charge rates so that you don't blow the house breaker. But now we're getting into edge cases...

Charge rate:

Cost:
Tesla Wall Connector - $500 from Tesla store (Mobile Corded Connector that came with your car is not needed for home so stays in car at all times)
Tough choice between 3 and 4. I’ll wait for the electrician contact you share and decide based on the quote for 3 and 4. Thanks much!!!

Charge rate:

Cost:

Charge rate:

Cost:

Charge rate:

Cost:

Charge rate:

Cost:

Charge rate:

Cost:
Really appreciate the write up. Can be a youtube video on it's own.

Yeah, I had to watch several of them to get the full story. I think most YouTube’s don’t go in depth enough in this kind of technical topic probably because it’s boring. I guess it is but it’s also really important imho, sometimes there is no simple answer. Just needs an entertaining presenter so I’m out as I send people to sleep!

Yep, still October here as well. :-(

My electrician came out last week and I have everything all set up and ready. We planned a vacation (which we'll still take) in middle September and part of it will be the Natchez Trace. I am really looking forward to taking a nice quiet electric vehicle on that road, but if this doesn't change it looks like I'll still be in the ICE vehicle for the trip, which is a bummer because I have all the stops planned out using a better route planner and everything.

Such is life...