Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I admit I didn’t notice that the requirement had been in since NEC2017 and we’re now on NEC2020 which has tightened it.
I’ll ask my electrician next time I see him as I don’t remember what he actually fitted but whatever it is he’s done for other Tesla owners and claims it works so…
After getting fed up of waiting for Tesla to deliver me a corded mobile connector 6 weeks after taking my money I cancelled it and now I’m going with an OpenEVSE which allows me to disable its internal GFCI test ((which is what tends to trip the GFCI breaker) and we’ll see how that goes. I will be getting a second 14-50 fitted for my wife’s Mini and will order a second one if I get good results with the first. I will admit I also went with this unit because it doesn’t need the cloud for its wifi app and more importantly has an api so I can add it to my homemade smart house server.
Worst case if I still get problems I can just switch off the breaker, hard wire the OpenEVSE in by swapping it for the socket, and flip the breaker back on. But my electrician will likely swap it for free for me anyway assuming it is even a GFCI breaker he’s fitted (I really must check).

I admit I didn’t notice that the requirement had been in since NEC2017 and we’re now on NEC2020 which has tightened it.
I’ll ask my electrician next time I see him as I don’t remember what he actually fitted but whatever it is he’s done for other Tesla owners and claims it works so…
After getting fed up of waiting for Tesla to deliver me a corded mobile connector 6 weeks after taking my money I cancelled it and now I’m going with an OpenEVSE which allows me to disable its internal GFCI test ((which is what tends to trip the GFCI breaker) and we’ll see how that goes. I will be getting a second 14-50 fitted for my wife’s Mini and will order a second one if I get good results with the first. I will admit I also went with this unit because it doesn’t need the cloud for its wifi app and more importantly has an api so I can add it to my homemade smart house server.
Worst case if I still get problems I can just switch off the breaker, hard wire the OpenEVSE in by swapping it for the socket, and flip the breaker back on. But my electrician will likely swap it for free for me anyway assuming it is even a GFCI breaker he’s fitted (I really must check).
Highly likely won’t be a gfci breaker, it retails for 100+ Comparing to 10ish normal breakers;

Hey I was going to say this must be local regulations, but I realize we're in the same area (I'm in Frisco, TX). I just had my 14-50 installed with GFCI with no issues (i.e. no tripping); my neighbor who recommended this electrician hasn't had issues with his M3 with a 14-50 (also with GFCI) for over 2 years.
Frisco is still enforcing 2017 NEC, they are yet to adopt 2019. I just had Nema 14-50 installed without gfci and it passed city inspection. I had spoken with the chief electrical inspector prior to making my decision.

Reactions: LoneStarEve
I GOT A VIN!!!!!!!

SmartSelect_20210906-144551_Chrome.jpg