Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the front license plate is required in Texas, do we need to buy the front license plate holder as an accessory or does it come with the car by default? I don't see them in the pictures posted here.
Car came with a stick on front license plate holder. I elected to use quick bandit in lieu of sticking something on the front bumper permanently. Quick bandit allows me to keep the car cleaner and provides the flexibility to remove the front plate easily when I want to.

After some venting and reshuffling of finances I decided to wait until 2022 and proceeded to cancel my order, which I did this past Sunday. My SA said he could have put it on hold, but not for that long. I should have listened to him but just didn’t believe that anything would change.
Fast forward to yesterday and my “wait til next year” situation changed, tried to get my order reinstated and was denied twice - only 4 days after canceling... Now I have to place a new order with a February EDD and the deposit has gone up to $250 from $100. I’m kicking myself and may just move on to an X5 or something else. This stress is not good for me and I can’t handle the craziness and lack of customer service. Then to rub salt in the wound, a brand new black MYLR drove down my street the other day and parked a few houses down so now I’m late to the game in the ‘hood. I give up.
Sorry to hear you had to take such a extreme step, you were in good position. This wait kills all the EV excitement, even I did research other options, none make sense. You may regret X5 sooner than you would think, why don't you book MY again? With Austin plant taking over some of the load, the wait need not be this long, hopefully you will get it sooner, before February.

We are still working from home, me all days and my wife has to visit her office at least 2 days in a week and our current cars are only 6 years old, in good condition, repair/service costs are slowly rising, but manageable. We will wait, this car makes more sense than any other in the market today. My wife's commute to office is going to double starting January, it would be about 25-30 miles one way to her down town Dallas office and they are planning to change wfh rules before next year; so back to old n golden days.

@whitehartdave if you order again you might get a car with the new battery cells?
Too late now of course but financially speaking if you’d stuck with it you could have turned around and sold it at a profit same day…
There are a lot of interesting EVs coming out soon for similar money, the Kia EV6 GT, the Hyundai Ionic 5, and they get a big tax rebate. Of course if the proposed EV bill passes then the rebate on those would be greatly reduced as Biden seems in the UAW’s pocket, but I don’t fancy their chances of passing it…
Whatever you buy I hope you enjoy it though, the waiting game is a killer, I’ve just started another 12 week wait to get the wife’s car so I must be some kind of masochist especially as if I don’t get it by the end of the year I may lose the 7.5k rebate…

Does not come with a front license plate mount - you have to order an aftermarket version. We discussed earlier in this thread. It’s required but everyone has had different experiences with the law regarding having the front plate or not.
There was a front license plate holder in the left rear cubby in the back area on mine. It attaches with 3m tape. That said, I ordered the one that mounts onto the front grill.

Reactions: whitehartdave
Delivery Day!!

I picked up at North Park mall in the parking garage next to Macy's.

We showed up. The text said it would be parked next to the chargers. Sure enough there were 2 midnight sliver model Ys parked there. We parked and started to walk over to them to see which was mine, when they both pulled out and left!!! What!?!? No other MSM Ys to be seen there. I check my phone, says it is ready for pickup. Okay then. We go inside (so much for touchless delivery) and have a chat with one of the guys there. He looked and said it was there, then said that it is on the far wall away from the chargers. Okay then. We go back down and sure enough, there it is!

Since it was a 120 mile trip to get home there were a few things I wanted to get done before hitting the road. 1) Install the set of mud flaps. 2) Install the screen protector. 3) Connect phone to bluetooth.

1) I got started on the mud flags. 1-3 were a piece of cake. The last one in the rear gave me fits. The rear ones attach with a bolt at the bottom. That bolt just would not come off. It would spin, but it would not come off. I figure 3 are better than none so I leave it for later. 2 and 3 were without issue.

Panel gaps were all great. Car looked great. No issues to be seen. Spend a few minutes familiarizing myself with everything in real life rather than all the youtube videos I've watched, and we're off. Now we get to leave in Dallas traffic at 3:30pm on a Friday. This is going to be fun. Traffic was one of the main reasons we moved to the country to begin with.

Seemed like it took for ever for the car to calibrate the cameras, but by the time we hit Terrell, autopilot was ready to rock and roll! Made it almost all the way back to Overton without issue, and only one case of "phantom breaking" where there were heavy shadows on the road.

I did notice that the software is version 2021.11.103, and I think I'll let it stay there until we complete our trip next week. No need to throw in any more variables into the mix. So, here are a few pics I took with my phone once we got back to the farm!

Good luck to all. Hope your VINs and delivery dates come soon. Mine took 95 days from order to delivery.

20210917_181503.jpg

20210917_181521.jpg

Delivery Day!!

I picked up at North Park mall in the parking garage next to Macy's.

We showed up. The text said it would be parked next to the chargers. Sure enough there were 2 midnight sliver model Ys parked there. We parked and started to walk over to them to see which was mine, when they both pulled out and left!!! What!?!? No other MSM Ys to be seen there. I check my phone, says it is ready for pickup. Okay then. We go inside (so much for touchless delivery) and have a chat with one of the guys there. He looked and said it was there, then said that it is on the far wall away from the chargers. Okay then. We go back down and sure enough, there it is!

Since it was a 120 mile trip to get home there were a few things I wanted to get done before hitting the road. 1) Install the set of mud flaps. 2) Install the screen protector. 3) Connect phone to bluetooth.

1) I got started on the mud flags. 1-3 were a piece of cake. The last one in the rear gave me fits. The rear ones attach with a bolt at the bottom. That bolt just would not come off. It would spin, but it would not come off. I figure 3 are better than none so I leave it for later. 2 and 3 were without issue.

Panel gaps were all great. Car looked great. No issues to be seen. Spend a few minutes familiarizing myself with everything in real life rather than all the youtube videos I've watched, and we're off. Now we get to leave in Dallas traffic at 3:30pm on a Friday. This is going to be fun. Traffic was one of the main reasons we moved to the country to begin with.

Seemed like it took for ever for the car to calibrate the cameras, but by the time we hit Terrell, autopilot was ready to rock and roll! Made it almost all the way back to Overton without issue, and only one case of "phantom breaking" where there were heavy shadows on the road.

I did notice that the software is version 2021.11.103, and I think I'll let it stay there until we complete our trip next week. No need to throw in any more variables into the mix. So, here are a few pics I took with my phone once we got back to the farm!

Good luck to all. Hope your VINs and delivery dates come soon. Mine took 95 days from order to delivery.

View attachment 710832

View attachment 710833
Congrats man!

Reactions: MSHampton
Yesterday night I went to Plano delivery center just to see different model Ys and imagining what mine would look like. It was late around 11 pm and I am sure if someone was watching or if they see cameras today, they will think I am a Psycho.
There were over 100 MYs parked there ..
I drove past it last week and was driving up and down the road outside very slowly so as the cops didn’t come for me you’re probably ok…

I got a phone call this morning asking if I wanted to pickup a day earlier, so tomorrow which I jumped on. So my Y was probably one of the ones you saw…

And then this happened...

Today we took the maiden voyage, about 400+ miles round trip. Tested a stop at a supercharger, tested a stop at a CCS1 charger using the Setec adapter, dropped off my CRV at a family member's house, and headed home. Then it happened... Warning lights. Tire is loosing pressure. Pull over!

Yep, I had ran over something and I could hear the air rushing out of the tire. Thankfully, my wife had convinced me to buy the Modern Spare, and it had arrived on Friday (yesterday) AND I had it with us. So, we were able to make it the rest of the way home.

Now my problem. We are supposed to be leaving on our road-trip vacation first thing Monday morning. Tomorrow is Sunday, and I'm not sure the tire can be repaired. What punctured the tire was actually a very small box wrench (looks like maybe a 6mm or so) and the entire thing stuck inside the tire, and of course, it is right on the line with the outside tread line.

I see that roadside assistance helps with flats, but I don't want them to just tow me to a service center where it will sit for a few days. As much as I hate it, it looks like we may have to take the ICE on this 2,000+ mile adventure. Really not looking forward to that!

Edit: Just want to say that I don't blame Tesla for any of what happened today. Just sharing. :)

Last edited:
Can you not get a new tyre tomorrow or order one for a stop say 2 days into the trip and run on the spare until then?
On a side note I guess I should order a modern spare before any road trips…
As for the CCS adapter let me know how you get on with it as the videos I’ve seen where it doesn’t work and even throws an error make me hesitant to drop that kind of money in one even though I really like the idea of a CCS adapter!

Can you not get a new tyre tomorrow or order one for a stop say 2 days into the trip and run on the spare until then?
On a side note I guess I should order a modern spare before any road trips…
As for the CCS adapter let me know how you get on with it as the videos I’ve seen where it doesn’t work and even throws an error make me hesitant to drop that kind of money in one even though I really like the idea of a CCS adapter!
I'm checking the local Firestone places as soon as they open this morning and hopefully one in the area will have one. Since the tire is so new tesla said I could replace just the one and it really didn't matter if it is a different brand as long as it is the same specs.

As to the setec adapter, yes it was broken for a bit but they just released a new firmware that fixed the problem. It worked great for me.

Reactions: LoneStarEve

I came across this, not ordering yet, where did you get it from @MSHampton ?
When I ordered it, it was $460 direct from setec. Now this other company is handling the selling and the price went up. Setec is still doing the development of the firmware updates.

6C87A60B-F440-486A-9AD4-34F2812CC15C.jpeg

Delivery day and mine was sitting between the two red ones…
Did a thorough examination and found everything perfect aside from the rear tailgate which meets the roofline maybe 1/8” low on the drivers side vs being perfect on the passenger side. You can feel it running your finger over the root line and it drops down onto the tailgate. Certainly not cause to refuse delivery and frankly I may not even bother getting them to correct it it’s so minor. But that was all I could find fault with.
On the short drive home I noticed that autopilot wouldn’t engage but I think I read somewhere that that is normal until the cameras have calibrated or something? I find it a bit weird that the rear passenger side quarter keeps flashing yellow proximity warnings while driving but maybe that was because I was in the right hand lane and it was detecting fire hydrants and stuff? I have an hours drive to the PPF place tomorrow so I’ll have more time to play with it then.

Extremely happy to have it at last and looking forward to testing my home charger tonight.
So far the only thing I’m missing from my Land Rover is the air suspension as this doesn’t glide over the rough roads like that used to. But everything else is as good as if not better at least on my short run.

The car had the latest software and 67% charge when I picked it up for anyone who may have a long trip home from pickup…

Attachments

• 4404584E-5DE2-45F8-A1F0-CACF21722C8C.jpeg
    4404584E-5DE2-45F8-A1F0-CACF21722C8C.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 954C42E5-257A-424B-BAA7-9629F03D1E95.jpeg
    954C42E5-257A-424B-BAA7-9629F03D1E95.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
View attachment 711525
Delivery day and mine was sitting between the two red ones…
Did a thorough examination and found everything perfect aside from the rear tailgate which meets the roofline maybe 1/8” low on the drivers side vs being perfect on the passenger side. You can feel it running your finger over the root line and it drops down onto the tailgate. Certainly not cause to refuse delivery and frankly I may not even bother getting them to correct it it’s so minor. But that was all I could find fault with.
On the short drive home I noticed that autopilot wouldn’t engage but I think I read somewhere that that is normal until the cameras have calibrated or something? I find it a bit weird that the rear passenger side quarter keeps flashing yellow proximity warnings while driving but maybe that was because I was in the right hand lane and it was detecting fire hydrants and stuff? I have an hours drive to the PPF place tomorrow so I’ll have more time to play with it then.

Extremely happy to have it at last and looking forward to testing my home charger tonight.
So far the only thing I’m missing from my Land Rover is the air suspension as this doesn’t glide over the rough roads like that used to. But everything else is as good as if not better at least on my short run.

The car had the latest software and 67% charge when I picked it up for anyone who may have a long trip home from pickup…
Go into the autopilot settings and turn on all the options. That should trigger the camera calibration. Mine finally calibrated around Terrell on my way home.

Reactions: LoneStarEve