Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not Going to Make 2012?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got off the phone with Tesla. Despite my supposed December 15 - December 31 delivery date, the Tesla rep thought I wasn't going to get a VIN until the first week of January. That's pretty disappointing. Not having the car arrive before 12/31 is one thing, but not being able to buy and thus book it to 2012 is going to require some tax gymnastics and a lot of clever working with my bank.

ARGH.

How's it looking for others?

Just got off the phone with Tesla. Despite my supposed December 15 - December 31 delivery date, the Tesla rep thought I wasn't going to get a VIN until the first week of January. That's pretty disappointing. Not having the car arrive before 12/31 is one thing, but not being able to buy and thus book it to 2012 is going to require some tax gymnastics and a lot of clever working with my bank.

ARGH.

How's it looking for others?

Bummer man. I hope they end up pulling out a win for you. I'm supposed to be getting final paperwork today but have not seen it yet. I'll post something somewhere when/if I do.

8911 here and I'm getting the same message. I really do not mind all that much as it makes the car a 2013. I know, I know, everyone says this car is different and the MY will not make a difference. This car is different but I suspect having a year newer car will go a long way when it is time to sell especially given that I do not put a lot of miles on a car.

9455... apparently our car will be done finished today but the paperwork seems to be quite a hold up for them. Should have had it a couple days ago, but we're just about to the point where it's the only thing preventing shipping.

Really no idea how we lucked into getting ours built so fast. I'm sure the configuration and being on the West coast didn't hurt. Hopefully somebody on the next Earnings Call asks Elon about the crazy Q4 production process.

VIN 2684 Brown/Tan 85kw, Air, Pano, Tech, 19"

Monday: received email asking for largely the same details I filled out in the online survey
Tuesday: replied with copy of insurance and license. DS said they were FedExing me DMV paperwork and emailing MVPA.
Wednesday: received and Docusigned final MVPA containing VIN. DS estimates car will be done in about a week.
as of Thursday night: haven't seen FedExed paperwork.

I'm still guessing the car is "sold" in 2012, and that I get to pick it up between 12/31 and 1/3.

I can't wait. :)

That's heartening news Lyon - not that the res #'s are in order, but i just happen to be the next guy back from you (#5652). I was quoted 12/15 - 12/31, but haven't yet gotten my VIN #, so i'm thinking it's not going to happen this year. Just curious, how long did it take from getting your VIN# to today (expecting your paperwork)?

Seems like paperwork is a bottleneck these days. The turnaround to get your final MVPA seems to take awhile, even though most of it was already the same as the pre-MVPA after finalizing. For those of your who received your final MVPA, I just noticed there is a field right above the VIN that says "Vehicle to be delivered on or about". Just wondering how accurate that is.

- - - Updated - - -

DS said they were FedExing me DMV paperwork and emailing MVPA.
Wednesday: received and Docusigned final MVPA containing VIN. DS estimates car will be done in about a week.
as of Thursday night: haven't seen FedExed paperwork.

Interesting, I got no hint of DMV paperwork.. isn't that something you can fill out when you pick up the car? What date is listed in "Vehicle to be delivered on or about" field on your MVPA.

Do people work in the United States over the holiday period? Here in Australia, most businesses have shut down as of Friday 21st, and reopen on 7th January. Emergency services excepted. Stores close down for Christmas day and New years day, and the 26th is a public holiday for most. Even large supermarket chains close on Christmas, meaning food shopping is bedlam the day before Christmas as people think the end of life as we know it is happening. In Australia, from around the 16th December to mid January at the earliest, you would not have seen a single Tesla delivery - the factory would have been in end of year shutdown - 4 to 6 weeks!!! Even the construction industry does the same. My marina shut down the work areas at midday 21st and reopen on the 7th January. Pretty typical - first real Monday in January. Of course, December is our summer holiday period. Of course you can still access your boat and the fuel wharf. Car deliveries on a Saturday or Sunday? - not a chance! All workshops are closed.(any time of the year). I am amazed that you guys are getting your cars at this time of year at all!!

i got a voicemail from my DS saying essentially the same thing. that they aren't going to make the Dec 31 deadline and that I still don't have a VIN. he said they sent out a lot of December Delivery emails and got back way more than they expected. even though I accepted, I will be pushed back to early-mid January because of my high reservation number.

no complaining here (really? no b*tching on teslamotorsclub?!? egads!). was originally expecting April so early January is fine by me. kinda hoping it comes on my birthday (17th). :)

- - - Updated - - -

Do people work in the United States over the holiday period? Here in Australia, most businesses have shut down as of Friday 21st, and reopen on 7th January. Emergency services excepted. Stores close down for Christmas day and New years day, and the 26th is a public holiday for most. Even large supermarket chains close on Christmas, meaning food shopping is bedlam the day before Christmas as people think the end of life as we know it is happening. In Australia, from around the 16th December to mid January at the earliest, you would not have seen a single Tesla delivery - the factory would have been in end of year shutdown - 4 to 6 weeks!!! Even the construction industry does the same. My marina shut down the work areas at midday 21st and reopen on the 7th January. Pretty typical - first real Monday in January. Of course, December is our summer holiday period. Of course you can still access your boat and the fuel wharf. Car deliveries on a Saturday or Sunday? - not a chance! All workshops are closed.(any time of the year). I am amazed that you guys are getting your cars at this time of year at all!!

aww... you're cute.

no, in these here U-nited States of Amurica, money takes priority over silly things like family, holidays, and life balance. we are currently trying to invent a way to both work AND shop during the hours we are asleep. others are trying to find a "cure" for sleep. so far, all it does is cost us more time away from working. and shopping.

i hate this country.

Most things are open on all but Christmas day. some small businesses will close up for the holiday period, but that's the exception. Having lived and worked in Oz and the US I can tell you that the work:lifestyle philosophies are about 180 degrees apart.

For those of your who received your final MVPA, I just noticed there is a field right above the VIN that says "Vehicle to be delivered on or about". Just wondering how accurate that is.

The final MVPA delivery date was not perfectly accurate, at least not for me.

My final MVPA has a delivery date of 12/22. I had requested and confirmed factory pickup for that day, only to have it cancelled 24 hours later. I think that date reflects the best estimate based on their expected manufacturing rate, but the reality of events at the factory may be resulting in some delays. I should have an update on a new delivery date in a few days, still hoping to pick it up by 12/31. I've already signed the final MVPA and wired the money, so there shouldn't be anything holding it up other than manufacturing.

I have been given a VIN, but as of today thar car has not entered into assembly. The DS told me that he would request my paperwork and I provided him all the details yesterday. Haven't heard anything yet. With just 10 days left in the year I'm very skeptical. If only so I don't end up too disappointed.

8911 here and I'm getting the same message. I really do not mind all that much as it makes the car a 2013. I know, I know, everyone says this car is different and the MY will not make a difference. This car is different but I suspect having a year newer car will go a long way when it is time to sell especially given that I do not put a lot of miles on a car.

Yep, same news here #7645. I'm still holding out hope that it comes before January 3rd. If it's after that I won't be able to take delivery until the 10th. Still, all-in-all, it's better than April.

You guys were making me nervous so I emailed my DS. The reply I got made me more nervous. I asked if my paperwork would be done today as he had indicated on Monday and he replied that it would be done "soon." It's such a non-committal answer.

Well, missing the 12/31 date wouldn't be that big of a deal except that when I got the 12/15-12/31 delivery window, I had to scramble like mad to get everything together. For example, I got my bank doing all kinds of flips; now, if I'm not going to even get the VIN for another two weeks, I may have to go through some of that process again. Ugh.

<snip> he said they sent out a lot of December Delivery emails and got back way more than they expected. </snip>

If that's the case, then they shouldn't have given so many people a Dec 15-31 delivery window. Seems a bit disingenuous.

Anyway, you guys are lucky to even be hearing from your DS. Mine told me he'd call "in the next day or two" on Tuesday. Crickets from Tesla. My emails are also going unanswered, so I'm going with the assumption that I won't see my car until mid January. Still better than the Feb/March timeline I was given, but knowing that it is probably unlikely that my car has even entered production, I'm a bit miffed that I might now cut in front of all the 60 kW res holders.

If the car takes roughly seven days to build, and roughly five days to ship (for those having cars shipped out of CA), it would have been nice if yesterday they told everyone who might have been holding out hope for a Dec. 31 delivery that it was not going to happen.

Fortunately, here in Ontario, Canada it is an $8,500 rebate at time of purchase. At this point in the winter, I think I'd rather take delivery in spring anyway...

They're not doing the "at time of purchase" thing anymore in Ontario for some reason; they just help you fill out the paperwork. I asked why and got a vague answer about the rules changing recently.

Same story for me: e-mail saying 12/15-31, excitement, reply yes, phone call, reiterate 12/15-31, more excitement, financing gymnastics, garage charger gymnastics, crickets from Tesla, wait, wait, e-mail/call, voice mail back says early January. I'll make the over/under February 1st.