Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not paying extra $20.000 for decent seats in a $100k car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we do realize that. The message that [headcase] was referring to (mine, Not paying extra $20.000 for decent seats in a $100k car. - Page 6) says that the seats are too high for me, even in their lowest position of adjustment. It is very individual and looks like my body dimensions are outside of the normal range that manufacturers are optimizing for. I'm 6'2" and I find myself sitting unusually high, but the biggest problem is that the headrest bulge is at the level of my T1-T3 vertebrae, i.e. I feel it with my back.

For the reference, it's not only Tesla's seats that do that. One of my old cars, E37 BMW ///M roadster's seats were too small and too high, yet I drove it for 8 years (they didn't have a bulge, but the roof was even closer to my head than in MS and the top of the windshield was uncomfortably low compared to my eyes level). I also can't find a comfortable position in most of my friend's cars, and some of them are even much more uncomfortable than MS (Hondas/Acuras come to mind, but others are too). However, there are several seats that I feel very comfortable in (e.g. our X5 sport package seats, also new 5-series), and I'm interested in doing research of potentially purchasing them and placing them in MS.

Yeah, like you, I'm looking to lower the existing seats 2-3" via modification or replace them with more comfortable after-market seats, as the lowest setting isn't working for me. I prefer my eye-level to sit around the middle of the windshield, and my head still sits a little too high with my 5'10" body. Currently, I'm waiting to hear back from Recaro's after-market team.

My performance seats I find extremely comfortable. However, I will probably get them re-bolstered by a local shop in the next year but I find them very comfortable and just want to get them a little tighter and cut out a little lateral movement.

At first I thought that my Sig Gen seats looked very plain and uncomfortable and that I would do a lot of sliding around on them, but that hasn't really been much of a problem. I do prefer the look of a more overstuffed seat with side bolsters like my Audi has, but I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker if I had a strong desire to purchase the car. I do wish the trim bumpout on the B pillar could be changed a bit; however. Not a big problem for me, but my friends with a larger caboose complain a bit.

hhh: I guess I don't get it. If the next generation seats are the end all and be all then either get the P85D now, wait for them to become available on 85D or get a different car. The aftermarket option mentioned would work as well. We aren't going to be able to say anything or do anything to change this situation.

We aren't going to be able to say anything or do anything to change this situation.

This was my soapbox.

I was hoping others would agree on forcing a $20k upgrade to get next gen seats was unreasonable putting a bit of pressure on Tesla.

I ended up getting a lot of constructive suggestions (thanks!) and some "Blasphemy! you are not worthy of a Tesla, go get your shi**y Audi"

According to myTesla my Model S 85D has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California.

This was my soapbox.

I was hoping others would agree on forcing a $20k upgrade to get next gen seats was unreasonable putting a bit of pressure on Tesla.

I ended up getting a lot of constructive suggestions (thanks!) and some "Blasphemy! you are not worthy of a Tesla, go get your shi**y Audi"

According to myTesla my Model S 85D has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California.

I would agree, but knowing that there have been issues with the supply of next generation seats on the P85Ds, I firmly believe this to be a temporary stance.

If, after things settle down with the next gen supply issues, they're still not offering them as a stand alone upgrade then I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.

This was my soapbox.

HHH: how did you get the NG seats in an S85D, or are you settling for the current gen seats?