Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notable change in 17.34 (folding mirror routines)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent an e-mail to Tesla, referencing this thread. Stayed tuned for an update....

Also, if you are annoyed, and having issues with this change, please add your comments here, thanks.
Am very annoyed with this issue as well. Noticed it right away after the update. Constant folding and unfolding as I enter and leave my garage. I'm going to have to disable mirror autofolding when I get back home. Otherwise I'm looking at a broken mirror altogether. The number of fold unfold cycles had now increased by about 5x from the previous update. How can they release updates without any notes? This is a change that borders on affecting safety. No note warning the driver before he takes off? Lawsuit waiting to happen.

Yep, disabling the auto-fold mirrors is the temporary workaround to this bug.

Maybe we start a petition: Tesla, stay out of my car unless you first tell me what you're planning on doing. Show us the release notes BEFORE we press that "update" button. Give us a "rollback" button if we're not happy with your progress after having tried it. Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Last edited:
Fix the mirrors! Every time I walk into my garage to grab something I have to dodge the mirrors unfolding into me. They should only unfold when I open the door.

Also why does my Bluetooth need to connect when I open the passenger side rear door? Or any door other then the driver side door? Sorry for the tangent but it’s super annoying.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Also why does my Bluetooth need to connect when I open the passenger side rear door? Or any door other then the driver side door? Sorry for the tangent but it’s super annoying.

Did you download the new Tesla app by chance?

How have you set the slider options for unlocking "driver door only" or "all doors", and have you selected the new security feature slider for requiring a fob button press to open doors. And what is your setting for "auto-present handles" on or off? ... Tesla doesn't have very good feature interaction integrity and consistency.

Model 3 is going to use BT as a proximity thing for entry.
Maybe they've confused code for Model S and it's trying to use BT for entry verification?

I'm beginning to think everyone needs to actually state all their settings when reporting problems or asking questions on the forum... because ... random different behaviors for different mixes of settings.

Tesla is not doing a good job at user regression testing. By offering a lot of settings, they need to test lots of permutations of settings, and they just don't. It's becoming clear.

I've been slowly "decontenting" my car by shutting off more and more of the nice features because the "auto-" portion doesn't always do what it's supposed to. Soon I'll be reaching for the manual window cranks! ha ha!

Last edited:
Did you download the new Tesla app by chance?

How have you set the slider options for unlocking "driver door only" or "all doors", and have you selected the new security feature slider for requiring a fob button press to open doors. And what is your setting for "auto-present handles" on or off? ... Tesla doesn't have very good feature interaction integrity and consistency.

Model 3 is going to use BT as a proximity thing for entry.
Maybe they've confused code for Model S and it's trying to use BT for entry verification?

I'm beginning to think everyone needs to actually state all their settings when reporting problems or asking questions on the forum... because ... random different behaviors for different mixes of settings.

Tesla is not doing a good job at user regression testing. By offering a lot of settings, they need to test lots of permutations of settings, and they just don't. It's becoming clear.

I've been slowly "decontenting" my car by shutting off more and more of the nice features because the "auto-" portion doesn't always do what it's supposed to. Soon I'll be reaching for the manual window cranks! ha ha!
For starters: I agree with @DHG.

Now to add a tiny bit of clarity... There is no Model 3 vs S entry verification mix-up occurring. The Model S key fob doesn't use Bluetooth; it operates at 315MHz, like most key fobs do. (Yes, the Model X key fob does use BLE, but that's not the case with Model S.) So, the Model S Bluetooth radio isn't active when the MCU is off.

What's happening is way more simple than all of that. When a door opens, it wakes-up the MCU. The MCU controls (among other things) the Bluetooth radio connection. As soon as the MCU wakes-up, just as on a computer, the Bluetooth stack seeks to connect to any paired devices. When it finds the phone, it connects. That simple.

All that being said, as @DHG. mentioned, it drives me nuts when I'm on the phone and just need to get something out of the car and I get transferred to inside of the car. Even more comical (I say sarcastically) is when I walk into the garage on the phone, and summon the car into the driveway. As soon as the car starts up, it hijacks my caller, and kidnaps them in the car while it's driving away from me.

Last edited:
Back on topic, I finally received a response to my email (a week later), and this is what I got...
Thank you for contacting Tesla Support, my name is Jaden. I apologize for the delayed response, but I want to be sure to answer your questions. I appreciate your feedback on the recent update that will auto unfold the mirrors when the vehicle is unlocked. I will pass this information on to our engineering group to see if this can be changed on the next update. Again, we really appreciate you choosing Tesla and I hope you have a wonderful day!

I highly suggest that all of you send an email to [email protected] and give them your opinions along with a link to this thread -->
Code:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2295591/

Back on topic, I finally received a response to my email (a week later), and this is what I got...

I highly suggest that all of you send an email to [email protected] and give them your opinions along with a link to this thread -->
Code:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2295591/

Good idea, I just sent the following letter:
Hello,

Since my new software update, my mirrors unfold when the door handles present themselves based on my keyfob proximity. THIS IS AWFUL. It is causing unnecessary wear on the mirror motors when I am in an out of the garage frequently. Unfortunately, times like unloading groceries from my wife's car, it's just enough time inside that the car refolds the mirrors, only to unfold when I get back outside. Or if I'm going into the garage to grab a tool or paper towels, or whatever - it never bothered me that the lights would turn on but now the mirrors unfold and refold. Finally, in a tight garage the mirrors unfolding can affect my ability to get between the two cars when in the garage.

PLEASE pass along to engineering that this change is VERY NEGATIVE. I've never seen anyone complain about the original functionality, but there is an active thread about the new one being a net loss for the owners. Please see here:
Notable change in 17.34 (folding mirror routines)
Thanks for your time,
<GIg103>

• Love
Reactions: JohnnyG
I've been having Homelink issues and finally had to reprogram it. Is there a bug I should be reporting?
I agree with @Whiteblaze . It's great to discuss these issues here, so that everyone knows what's going on and that their issue isn't isolated. It's best to also inform Tesla, so that they realize how widespread an issue is, so that it gets some priority. I personally believe it's a good idea to also include a link to the discussions on TMC about the issue you are reporting, to further enforce the magnitude.

Using the workaround of disabling auto fold function I have discovered that if I manually lock the car by long pressing the top of the fob that the mirrors will still fold about 5 min later and then not unfold untill after driving at 15mph.
Can you clarify how ‘long press’ differs from ‘triple-click’? I thought that was the normal ‘close and lock’ sequence (there’s also the single-click option, but many have that disabled so as not to inadvertantly press that while having the fob in their pocket, etc.

Can you clarify how ‘long press’ differs from ‘triple-click’? I thought that was the normal ‘close and lock’ sequence (there’s also the single-click option, but many have that disabled so as not to inadvertantly press that while having the fob in their pocket, etc.
Long press is starting summon. Summon folds the mirrors. So starting summon but not actually moving the car is resulting in folded mirrors.

If the case, Interesting is that they behave differently when waking up the car.

Long press is starting summon. Summon folds the mirrors. So starting summon but not actually moving the car is resulting in folded mirrors.

If the case, Interesting is that they behave differently when waking up the car.
Exactly, I knew it was something, never had the chance yet to actually try out Summon on my new X, thanks for jogging my memory!

Have to remember that one, since I have mirrors on non-autofold, not wanting them to move everytime I go near the car. That long press may help the times I forget to fold them in upon parking at home!