Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent, will wait for Jugiong to open and do a tour of NRMA chargers. South east NSW is now getting a good mix of Superchargers and NRMA chargers.

I hope NRMA turn their sights westward - Hay, Balranald and Mildura for the trip to SA. Was wondering though whether these sites should have dual chargers, no alternatives available out there if a charger is out of action.

South east NSW is now getting a good mix of Superchargers and NRMA chargers.

If you include Chargefox, Evie and NRMA there's a charger almost every 100 km between Melbourne and Sydney!

I hope NRMA turn their sights westward - Hay, Balranald and Mildura for the trip to SA.

Going by activity in Berri SA (see link) I can only assume they're going to do the towns between there and the rest of their NSW network.

Narrandera - Hay 177km
Hay - Balranald 133km
Balranald - Mildura 162km
Mildura - Berri 154km
Berri - Adelaide 234km

All doable, perhaps a charger at Nuriootpa to break up the last stretch, would also serve the Barossa. Chargers at Ouyen, Pinnaroo and Tailem Bend would cater for those who prefer approaching Adelaide from the south east. Not sure how far the NRMA's largesse extends when it comes to other states ...

Narrandera - Hay 177km
Hay - Balranald 133km
Balranald - Mildura 162km
Mildura - Berri 154km
Berri - Adelaide 234km

All doable, perhaps a charger at Nuriootpa to break up the last stretch, would also serve the Barossa. Chargers at Ouyen, Pinnaroo and Tailem Bend would cater for those who prefer approaching Adelaide from the south east. Not sure how far the NRMA's largesse extends when it comes to other states ...

I was surprised at the Berri one, didn't expect them to cross the border. One thing is for sure, SA and Vic are looking very empty after NRMA's awesome work (as well as the Tas and Qld Governments). NRMA, RACV, RAA (SA) etc. are co owners of Chargefox via their national body (AAA). So maybe someone at RACV/RAA etc. is learning from what NRMA are doing....

If you include Chargefox, Evie and NRMA there's a charger almost every 100 km between Melbourne and Sydney!

Going by activity in Berri SA (see link) I can only assume they're going to do the towns between there and the rest of their NSW network.

Maybe Sydney to Melb is OK but if I use better route planner for a Kona or similar I have to go to bloody young before heading back to Canberra. The only alternative is the Tesla supercharger at Gundagai. We need a non-Tesla one at Gundagai to make the trip viable.

I stand corrected:). Holbrook has changed the game! Now Melbourne to Canberra is easy in the Kona with two charging stops. This is great for EVs.
642D7AD6-16E6-4BC0-A4F3-DAB7B317DF43.jpeg

Reactions: baillies
QLD government DC chargers won't be free to use anymore in a few weeks time apparently. Outsourced to private firm and aiming for 0.45 cents/kwh

Maybe they'll get maintained then. Happy to pay 45c/kwh for the occasional road trip - it will be lost in the noise of the quarterly power bill. Having a cost on these things means there's some chance of them surviving long term and/or more being installed.

RAA has their head in the sand. All they are planning are 3 on the way from Adelaide to Melbourne. From what I have heard there are none others. One would have thought the Adelaide to Sydney route would have been high as well or perhap a few scattered a few hundred km out from Adelaide to encourage Eastern States drivers to tour around.

RAA has their head in the sand. All they are planning are 3 on the way from Adelaide to Melbourne.

I'm guessing this refers to the Chargefox ones (these are typically branded with the local motoring org - e.g. the Victorian ones are all labelled "RACV", the only existing Queensland one is "RACQ", the press release about the Tassie one was a joint press release from RACT.) It seems some are enthusiastic and some are dragged kicking and screaming. I'm interested to see what NRMA will do with Chargefox sites in NSW - will they count them as part of their 40 sites? The Hume and Pacific Highways have been a lot more sparse (at least until recently) as if they are keeping something under their hat...

I'm baffled as to how a state like South Australia which has done so much with grid batteries and growth in renewables has done so little with fast charging infrastructure.

Maybe they'll get maintained then. Happy to pay 45c/kwh for the occasional road trip - it will be lost in the noise of the quarterly power bill. Having a cost on these things means there's some chance of them surviving long term and/or more being installed.

im not a fan, just because of the pricing. whats 45 cents now will be 60 cents tomorrow and we soon have parity with petrol with huge profit margins. In a few years the taxman will want to have his money he used to earn on petrol too.

Last edited:
im not a fan, just because of the pricing. whats 45 cents now will be 60 cents tomorrow and we soon have parity with petrol with huge profit margins. In a few years the taxman will want to have his money he used to earn on petrol too.

It doesn't matter if it's the same as petrol - you generally only use fast chargers for 5-10% of the time, the rest of the time it's slow charging overnight at home and it's only 20% of the cost.
If the fast chargers get too expensive - that means competition will pop up. Win win.

Reactions: HighlyCharged
It doesn't matter if it's the same as petrol - you generally only use fast chargers for 5-10% of the time, the rest of the time it's slow charging overnight at home and it's only 20% of the cost.
If the fast chargers get too expensive - that means competition will pop up. Win win.

yeah guys, listen to the guy from tasmania who is limited to a small island. *cough*

• Funny
Reactions: Chuq