Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Number One shortcoming of the supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I partially agree with the lack of bathroom facilities. Last summer, we drove our one month old MX 100D from NY to the Fremont Factory to do the factory tour, from there we had several stops, including Fort Worth, Vegas, Lake Tahoe and Moab. I think we went to over 50 SC locations and most of them are in holiday inn express so you have access to bathrooms and free coffee.
The problem are the few that are on strip malls and you get there at night when the malls are closed.

Is the lack of bathrooms due to a lack of access because of the virus? I've heard about truck drivers saying that most bathrooms on their routes are currently closed.
My experience is that superchargers are located at fantastic locations.
I see truckers every week since I use Pilot and Love's truck stops for work vehicles during travel. No bathroom closures at any I have been too recently.

Over half of the Florida SC i have visited do not have bathroom access in near proximity.

Reactions: rdskill
I am in South Florida and often travel to Tallahassee to visit my daughter at college. The SC’s I stop at all have facilities and food. Turnpike, Ocala is in a mall, lake city has stuff close by within a walk. Live oak is in a Busy Bee truck stop which is like the Costco is truck stops. the SC by my house is in a mall lot with plenty of options.
When I travel with the family, I try to plan the SC stops with food or bathroom breaks and plan accordingly. Obviously, driving at late night will
Limit your choices. But for the most part, I have not seen this as an issue. We also went to the Launch on Saturday and the SC’s were busy all down the coast with people going up, and later going back. But everyone was cool and helpful. Longest wait was 15 mins or so in Melbourne.

This has been a problem both times I've driven from VA to NC. The first time though, most of the driving was at night so places were closed and last month places were still closed because of the virus. Ended up using a public rest stop along the way which required an extra stop. Admittedly, bad timing on my part but still. I also drove to Ohio right after getting my 3 and was able to go no problem at SCs at Sheetz and a Hampton Inn.

SCs I use in the northeast are very often near a Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, McDonalds or are located at Interstate rest areas with lots of bathroom options. I haven’t taken my first road trip yet through the Midwest or South. When I do, judging from your post I’ll have to keep the bathroom conundrum in mind.

As a woman, this can be an issue. I try not to travel at night unless my destination is close, and I have found that many of the superchargers are a good walk away from the nearest bathroom. Often the chargers are at the far end of very large parking lots, and if it were dark I probably wouldn't feel safe. I hope that in the future when this whole "Beta vs. VHS" thing is settled, (Yeah, I'm an old fart), we can have more gas station-type facilities at the superchargers.

Spoken like someone who hasn't hit 50 years old yet.... ;-)
That’s in the rear view here. ;)

The key is rigorously managing the inputs. Water in = water out. Caffeine in = more water out.

If you keep your water in to just above the amount lost via perspiration & breathing your kidneys can still do their job but with a lot pressure on your bladder.