Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Numerous Model S' seen not running AC on hot Ontario day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They were probably aliens joy riding in a Tesla.

Your brother should have called the MiB.

But, in all seriousness only rarely do I turn off A/C. I only do it when I know I'm going to come in low (below 10%), and I'm trying to stay above 10%. I wouldn't open the windows though because that would defeat the purpose.

For purposes of range I usually follow this order (in increasing desperation) with the energy graph telling me the expected battery percentage once I reach the supercharger.

1 -> Verify that range mode is on (which I use only for trips so sometimes I forget to turn it on)
2 - > Slow down in increments of 5mph
3 -> Turn off A/C if it's warm/hot. Lower the heat (if it's cold).
4 -> Find a big truck to get behind
5 -> Launch grappling hook into vehicle in front of me, and regen behind him.
6 -> If all the above fails accept defeat and head towards the backup charger.

Usually by step 3 the energy graph goes above 10%, and starts climbing so eventually I reverse the order.

I do love that I can modulate the energy usage pretty easily.

As to A/C I haven't experienced any issues, but I do know the A/C in the Model S is pretty weak. Luckily I'm in a colder climate so it's never an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Maybe these cars were experiencing an issue reported here previously, where the A/C was being diverted to cool the battery?

Air Conditioning Blowing Hot Air
A/C Fail with last night's Software Upgrade?
Thanks. This sounds like a reasonable reason why someone could have seen a number of Tesla's driving with windows open in hot temperature conditions where one expected to see them all closed up. Not saying that is what caused what was observed, but at least I can tell my brother that under some conditions some Tesla's may have a low side suction pressure sensor that is out of tolerance. Cheers

They were probably aliens joy riding in a Tesla.

Your brother should have called the MiB.

But, in all seriousness only rarely do I turn off A/C. I only do it when I know I'm going to come in low (below 10%), and I'm trying to stay above 10%. I wouldn't open the windows though because that would defeat the purpose.

For purposes of range I usually follow this order (in increasing desperation) with the energy graph telling me the expected battery percentage once I reach the supercharger.

1 -> Verify that range mode is on (which I use only for trips so sometimes I forget to turn it on)
2 - > Slow down in increments of 5mph
3 -> Turn off A/C if it's warm/hot. Lower the heat (if it's cold).
4 -> Find a big truck to get behind
5 -> Launch grappling hook into vehicle in front of me, and regen behind him.
6 -> If all the above fails accept defeat and head towards the backup charger.

Usually by step 3 the energy graph goes above 10%, and starts climbing so eventually I reverse the order.

I do love that I can modulate the energy usage pretty easily.

As to A/C I haven't experienced any issues, but I do know the A/C in the Model S is pretty weak. Luckily I'm in a colder climate so it's never an issue.

Thanks for the checklist.

I'm told the whole "slow down" thing is ones big "ace in the hole", so to speak, when it comes to "making fuel" (as we used to say decades ago in CC-130s)

The A/C on full blast uses 1kW. The heater, 6kW.

The reason for the big difference is A/C is a heat pump. It just moves heat from one place to another. The heater, on the other hand, is a resistance heater and has to generate heat from scratch.

A fully charged 90kWh Model S/X could sit idling in traffic with the A/C cranked up to max for 90kWh ÷ 1kW = 90hours, or well over 3 days.

The heater is the range killer. The A/C? Not so much.

You mean it used 1kW that one time you had it on full blast without controlling for inside/outside temperature and sun load.

It can take way more than 1kW. Although hopefully not for long.
I meant it uses 1kW max for any length of time anyone would care about it impacting range.

Also, define "way more." Do you happen to know the peak rating for the Model S heat pump?

As has been mentioned a/c uses almost nothing compared to heat. I keep mine in Range Mode all the time, mainly to keep the compressor noise down and it has no problem whatsoever keeping the car cool.

There are folks who don't like a/c (I have a buddy who gets joint aches in his arms when he uses a/c) and others (like me) who just enjoy the warm weather with windows down.