Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYC Supercharging Network Sucks!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being a brand new owner of Tesla Model Y in NYC I realized how much the supercharger network really sucks in the 5 boroughs. Twice I almost ran out of juice because of the lack of any superchargers in the 5 boroughs. Like all the superchargers are inside of parking garages. (I am not gonna pay $50 to charge my tesla and on top to pay for the KWH) Outside of NYC like NJ, CT or Long island I can find them but good luck finding one in queens, bk, manhattan or bronx where its inside of a parking garage. How my fellow new yorker's deal with this?

• Funny
Reactions: CDrury and Rocky_H
I’ve charged at every Supercharger in New York (and New England for that matter - Garden City and Carle Place just yesterday) and Manhattan would definitely be a challenge if you didn’t want to leave the island and also didn’t want to use destination chargers.

Bronx Bay Plaza, Brooklyn and Jersey City are all reasonable options but, of course, involve bridges, tolls and parking fees. These parking fees are a lot more reasonable than the ones in Manhattan, so I guess it all depends on how you weight the convenience, availability and price.

Reactions: CDrury
There are two large charging hubs in Brooklyn.

One is already operational and can charge 25 vehicles.

Another is currently under constuction (will open in Summer 2022) and will be able to charge 18 vehicles.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The problem is that you restrict yourself to the Superchargers.

There are other fast chargers around.

But isn’t that the reason to get a tesla for their superior charging network? I am not being supercharger snob lol but I was really surprised how lacking superchargers there in NYC. I don’t limit to only superchargers but also level 2. But I would love to DC charge here and there when I’m in hurry and not wait for Level 2.

I live in Astoria Queens does what you showed me in Brooklyn are nice but one it’s for the future.

My actual rant just shocking outside of NYC I find superchargers very easy and inside nyc not much.

Reactions: CDrury
This is precisely why I encourage people who do not have options to charge at home to not buy an EV. The Supercharger network was originally intended to be used for long distance travel, not day to day charging.

I suspect a simple wall outlet might be enough for you, but I don't know what your mileage requirements are.

It's also amazing to me how often we have posts here from people who've just bought a Tesla and didn't seem to fully work out how they were going to charge on a regular basis.

Reactions: RTPEV
But isn’t that the reason to get a tesla for their superior charging network? I am not being supercharger snob lol but I was really surprised how lacking superchargers there in NYC. I don’t limit to only superchargers but also level 2. But I would love to DC charge here and there when I’m in hurry and not wait for Level 2.
Supercharger has superior coverage in rural areas.

Urban areas, no.

I live in Astoria Queens does what you showed me in Brooklyn are nice but one it’s for the future.

My actual rant just shocking outside of NYC I find superchargers very easy and inside nyc not much.
Here is a DC fast-charging station near you with free parking:

Last edited:
“Fast” is, of course, relative. Expect about half the charging speed of a 72 kW Urban Supercharger when using the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. You’ll want to find something to occupy at least an hour of your time. Charging will he even slower if your battery is cold.

If it were me, I’d charge at Glendale or Elmhurst. Glendale has a cheap parking fee: 30 minutes free or $1 for one hour. Both have more amenities than the car wash, but in a pinch, anything will do.

Last edited:
“Fast” is, of course, relative. Expect about half the charging speed of a 72 kW Urban Supercharger when using the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. You’ll want to find something to occupy at least an hour of your time. Charging will he even slower if your battery is cold.
The limiting factor is the CHAdeMO adapter.

If he can get the CCS adapter, he can charge much faster.

Reactions: Big Earl
The limiting factor is the CHAdeMO adapter.

If he can get the CCS adapter, he can charge much faster.

True, but it's not like there's a whole wealth of fast CCS either. Here's a map of >120KW. There are NO >200KW CCS chargers in the boroughs. One across the river in NJ outside of Elizabeth.

1644817729209.png

The best solution, in my not-so-humble opinion, is to figure out how to charge at home and work, and maybe pick up some free charging at the grocery store or something.

True, but it's not like there's a whole wealth of fast CCS either. Here's a map of >120KW. There are NO >200KW CCS chargers in the boroughs. One across the river in NJ outside of Elizabeth.

View attachment 768790

The best solution, in my not-so-humble opinion, is to figure out how to charge at home and work, and maybe pick up some free charging at the grocery store or something.

The Electrify America station in Elizabeth shares a corner of a parking lot with with a pretty substantial V3 Supercharger. Great place to charge when in the area.

• Informative
Reactions: LoudMusic
The Electrify America station in Elizabeth shares a corner of a parking lot with with a pretty substantial V3 Supercharger. Great place to charge when in the area.

A quick check of the map and ... Hey I've Been There! :D That mall was a freaking mad house. Mid-pandemic and it was shoulder to shoulder at the front doors. We noped out of there straight back to the car.

Reactions: Big Earl

View attachment 768790

He doesn't need a 200 kW+ fast charger.

That one at the car wash works just fine.

He can just go eat lunch or something.

True and I am not being ignorant, My schedule delivery was for June 2022 and installing a charger in my garage was in my to do list things of do around in April. When I received the out of the blue notice from tesla that my delivery is for January it really caught me off guard. So I have been relying on my garage 120 volt for the time being which is slow and not fast enough for the driving I do. I have been waiting a while for my electrician to install a proper EV charger but lack of parts has me waiting.

My driving habit is that I drive a'lot, I commute a'lot around the Tri-State area so I go through alot of miles. Whenever I have a chance I charge here and there.

Anyways I will learn how to live with it . Thanks to all of you above helping! and giving insight! :)

Twice I almost ran out of juice because of the lack of any superchargers in the 5 boroughs.
You know your car can accept electricity from other things besides just the Tesla branded Superchargers, right?
But isn’t that the reason to get a tesla for their superior charging network?
No. Or at least not at all how you are thinking of it. When you are charging locally in the city where you live, that really doesn't have much to do with Tesla's charging network. The reason to get a Tesla is so that you, who live in New York, can drive to Nashville or Chicago or Dallas or Orlando easily. Travel over a vast network is definitely a strong point in Tesla's favor. But inside New York city? There are hundreds (thousands?) of charging stations. Use them.